• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spec4

Expert Rifleman
    Sep 22, 2009
    Carroll County
    while browsing the offerings at York today, I found a table toward the rear and toward the middle of the left half of the show with I think 20 m1 springfields in 30-06

I picked a couple of them up and they looked mechanically sound, but I am more of an eastern-bloc weapons person and couldn't tell you more about their condition

the price : 325.00 per rifle

just wanted to share the info.

:gun2:

update to original post:
    based on comments below, these rifles are beaters. glad I didn't buy one!

Last edited:

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I looked through them on Friday. Many of the barrels were Korean replacements. i checked the bores with a dummy round. Some were OK and many were shot out. On the ones that gauged good I couldn't really judge the bore condition because there was so much grease in the barrels. These were DIRTY! Some were missing the sight parts, some had cracked stocks. It looked like some could be cleaned up. they were covered with dirty grease, but a lot of them looked decent under the grease when it was wiped away. Poor finish and areas of light rust on most. If you get one with a good stock and all the parts they would be a good candidate for re-parking and re-barreling. (i usually don't like to refinish historic arms). These might be worth it if you were planning to replace the barrel anyways. About 2/3 of these rifles had areas on the left side of the receiver where Korean markings were removed prior to their importation into Guatemala. It looks like someone used a dremel tool with a drum sander to do this.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I looked at them today. Definitely beaters. Dark bores on almost all of them, cracked wood. There were some WWI dated receivers, but they all had replacement barrels.

I was told that they came back from Guatemala...

Jamie

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I would agree with the central american thing (spanish writing on some stocks)

They were really rough- when none of the barrel stamping is visible, you know it's had a hard time....

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I saw a bunch of Central american returns being passed off as $900 guns........its ok if you can pick through a bin with a gauge but CMP is probably a much better route.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I looked at them today. Definitely beaters. Dark bores on almost all of them, cracked wood. There were some WWI dated receivers, but they all had replacement barrels.

I was told that they came back from Guatemala...

Jamie

Come on Doc, you meant WW2..........can you get a Rx filled for me for 300 instead of 30? :D

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I bought an M1 from SOG a few months ago when they ran the $430.00 price. The wood was ruff, but the metal looked good. Until I stripped it down and saw the top of the chamber. It was pitted, deep. Maybe .100". I have never seen it this bad. My Father sent a WWII Japanese rifle home from the Philippine's and kept it in the basement. Damp, leaking basement and it looked better than the M1 from SOG. I sent it back, they did not question my return. I will never again buy a cheap ugly rifle without completely taking it apart first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom