• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    Yep. I'd say at least a month. I typically wait for the water temps to reach 65 (at Thomas Point) before I give it a try.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    if the dnr dredge reports on the crabs is anywhere near correct it may be quite a while. they reported all but 4 of the crabs dredges at the mouth of the potomac for their spring survey were dead due to the extremely cold winter so that usually means a real late start waiting until the crabs migrate from the deeper waters near the ocean. most everyone i know is waiting a while to even set test pots until the water warms. all we can do is wait and see what happens.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    if the dnr dredge reports on the crabs is anywhere near correct it may be quite a while. they reported all but 4 of the crabs dredges at the mouth of the potomac for their spring survey were dead due to the extremely cold winter so that usually means a real late start waiting until the crabs migrate from the deeper waters near the ocean. most everyone i know is waiting a while to even set test pots until the water warms. all we can do is wait and see what happens.

I agree, it's all about water temp. and with the long, cold winter we had everything is going to be running a little later this year.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Id say June, last year i was starting to catch them in the middle river area at the very very end of may and it was pretty good in june before it got horrible from july-sept.

Parttime

Sep 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore

Crabs are being caught in the southern counties on the eastern shore, now.

Price I've seen is $225 bushel retail.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Crabs are being caught in the southern counties on the eastern shore, now.

Price I've seen is $225 bushel retail.

the guys in charles and calvert have pots over and i dont believe a bushel has been caught yet. iwill ask around tomorrow but it doesnt matter what they offer if you dont catch em. but they catch em first down there before we do anyway.

i hope its a better year this year than last for the boys.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Upper Bay? Mid-June if we are lucky. Last 2 years not so good.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    A lot of people have said it, but water temps are a big thing to keep an eye on. It was a cold winter, so more than likely they'll be a little later than usual.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Going to be a crap year.... low counts and with idiots in Virginia dredging sooks.... they'll never rebound. :sad20:

I have never been a fan of dredged crabs, sooks or males, to gritty for me but I believe the boys down there keeping sponged sooks in the fall is the real killer. I still don't want them boys families starving so until someone finds something to fill that gap I don't want to be the one to tell them to stop.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I have never been a fan of dredged crabs, sooks or males, to gritty for me but I believe the boys down there keeping sponged sooks in the fall is the real killer. I still don't want them boys families starving so until someone finds something to fill that gap I don't want to be the one to tell them to stop.

I would in a heartbeat, yes you're correct sponge crabs are just as bad as dredging. :mad54: Kill the golden goose and nobody makes a living and nobody eats Bay crabs. :mad54: I don't remember the last time I ate dodo......... you? This is COMMON SENSE, forget the emotional end of it.

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    I'm believe VA commercial crabbers were made to stop dredging in 2011.
    Have to call a waterman friend or online to check. It was a very bad idea and
    ugly to see all the bushels of sook at the dock in Cape Charles in the winter time.
    As a live long crabber and to see how bad the water is now no wonder crabbing
    is so low.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I would in a heartbeat, yes you're correct sponge crabs are just as bad as dredging. :mad54: Kill the golden goose and nobody makes a living and nobody eats Bay crabs. :mad54: I don't remember the last time I ate dodo......... you? This is COMMON SENSE, forget the emotional end of it.

no emotion in it for me. I have worked down there and them boys have it hard. everyone needs to feed their families and if there was something else for them to do I am sure they would do it. I think of it like the rockfish moratorium put on us back in the day.my family damn near starved when they put that on us. watching hungry kids is hard.

anyway I don't like dredged crabs or seeing sponged sooks kept and I hope someone figures out something else for them boys to do.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I'm believe VA commercial crabbers were made to stop dredging in 2011.
    Have to call a waterman friend or online to check. It was a very bad idea and
    ugly to see all the bushels of sook at the dock in Cape Charles in the winter time.
    As a live long crabber and to see how bad the water is now no wonder crabbing
    is so low.

http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/Regulations/FR1140.shtm

they closed this winters season it appears. a few years ago they closed certain areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom