• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Anybody been out and had luck? My brother and I are planning to go in that area Saturday morning. Just curious if anyone has had luck. Other reports are spotty at best ranging from 0 to a bushel in a couple hours. We will be using 4 door traps and chicken necks for bait.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Nobody?? Im aware its possible were just gonna be wasting time especially with the heavy rain but a bad day on the water is still a good day. I figure I will either catch a buzz or catch some crabs.Either way Im ok with it. Hopefully both happen :lol2:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You can try north and west of Pleasure Island. Staying about 100 yards fro the island. You may have to find them, but you could bring home 1/2 bushel for a day of crabbing.

Jim Smith

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Most of my crabbing is done ~30 miles south of there, so I'm not much help with a report. Check out the Maryland sub-forum of bluecrabinfo (http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/board,78.0.html) for recent crabbing reports. Things on there are usually pretty reliable.

But crabbers are still like fisherman and will lie or steer you a little of course from where they caught them at. They like to keep people away from their honey holes.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    But crabbers are still like fisherman and will lie or steer you a little of course from where they caught them at. They like to keep people away from their honey holes.

Well, duh! :D
    But, collectively, you can take a look at posts on there and figure out trends, where the crab are and aren't, etc. There's a lot of "if there's no picture it didn't happen" on there as well. Also, I look for places where there are suddenly no reports (i.e. people are doing exactly what you're saying - not giving away their honey holes).
    In the end, though, the best way to find the crab is to put a line (or traps) in the water.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    They have been there for the last few weeks but the area is thick with boats because they are still not showing up further north. Expect a crowd on a Saturday morning.

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    I'm going tomorrow in the mouth of the bush. If I don't respond then I'm probably eating crabs and refusing to divulge any further information :D

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Last time I played golf there were a good number of crabbers off of Rocky Point...no idea what they were catching but doubt they would be there if they weren't catching something......

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Well it was a long day. We had two boats. Our boat carried 30 traps and my buddies boat ran a 1200ft trotline. My buddy was over near the key bridge and came up totally blank. We stayed closer to the main bay near the mouth of the Patapsco on the AA county side and managed to catch 5 crabs in about 6 hours.We then moved to the south side of pleasure island. We ran the traps twice and got 1 more crab. At that point we couldn't take anymore. 6 crabs in roughly 9 hours was discouraging. I pulled all the traps but a few and was flat worn out. The highlight of the day was jumping in the water at millers island. Temp was perfect and by that point needed some relief from the sun burn.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    Sorry to hear it was slow.
    I took my father out for a quick crabbing trip yesterday (Sunday) - he was down visiting from Maine. We set my 1000' line, baited with CN, in 8-10' at appx 0930. I was back at the dock at 12 with a full bushel.
    My advice is that if you have a boat, and provided it's not slack tide, move if you don't immediately hit them. They're around, but you may have to search to find them. Two weeks ago I was only catching them in 3-6'. Now, 3-6' isn't producing crap other than juveniles. The deeper water (8-10' where I set yesterday) produced around a dozen keeper per run, with many doublers.
    Good luck out there!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You might not believe it, but I know two separate guys that each got a bushel out of the Bush River this weekend.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Some of the biggest crabs I've ate have come from the Bush. LOL

I know lots of people that make degrading comments about the river, but its really no different than anywhere else.

I know guys who are hard up about traveling 40 miles away to crab, my friends literally drive a few hundred yards to launch their boats to fill the basket with crabs and be home before noon.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Some of the biggest crabs I've ate have come from the Bush. LOL
    I know lots of people that make degrading comments about the river, but its really no different than anywhere else.

I know guys who are hard up about traveling 40 miles away to crab, my friends literally drive a few hundred yards to launch their boats to fill the basket with crabs and be home before noon.

Thats because it usally takes them till late august before they start catching them in the bush steadily. By that time the crabs have sloughed a few times...hence the size difference.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    crab22aug14_zpsa2a10f9f.jpg

I went out after work on Friday for about 2 hours. Caught just shy of a bushel, throwing back anything less than 6". 1000' trot line baited with chicken necks, set in 8-10' of water. Best run was the first run with 17 keepers. The only detail I'll give about where I set is that you can find it on NOAA Booklet Chart 12270 ;)

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I played golf this past Friday at Rocky Point...crabs must have really slowed up in that area...only saw 3 boats out.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom