Coyote spotted RT.216/ Browns bridge rd.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Eastern Baltimore County. Saw what I thought was the biggest 2 gray foxes I had ever seen while walking the dog about two weeks ago, but they moved more awkwardly than any fox I had ever seen. They were about 100 yards out, but crossed the road under a street light and disappeared into the woods. Dog went crazy. Over the weekend a neighbor asked whether I had seen the yotes on the peninsula? Last night the dog wanted out bad and took off after something through the front yard. I didn't see what it was just its eyes as it chased the dog back toward the house. She is 85lbs and typically fearless. Never saw her back down from anything. By the time I grabbed the 597 the eyes were gone. Apparently we have a few as well?

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Eastern Baltimore County. Saw what I thought was the biggest 2 gray foxes I had ever seen while walking the dog about two weeks ago, but they moved more awkwardly than any fox I had ever seen. They were about 100 yards out, but crossed the road under a street light and disappeared into the woods. Dog went crazy. Over the weekend a neighbor asked whether I had seen the yotes on the peninsula? Last night the dog wanted out bad and took off after something through the front yard. I didn't see what it was just its eyes as it chased the dog back toward the house. She is 85lbs and typically fearless. Never saw her back down from anything. By the time I grabbed the 597 the eyes were gone. Apparently we have a few as well?

wow- not sure. I didn't think we would see them in my area (south eastern BC) as it isn't very rural but it doesn't sound like you are too far away from me. I wonder if they are making their way here?

yeah I have a 100 pound GSD that is pretty fearless but seeing this makes me wonder

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have heard others mention seeing them, but I doubted it as well. What I saw the other week were not foxes. So I am a believer now.

Just checked the BQ social page and there is a running thread with multiple sightings all across the peninsula just with the last few days - day and night.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    educate me sir. I am an old city boy that is still learning some of the wildlife of the county area lol

I assume these things could be mistaken for dogs? I know what foxes look like in person but haven't ever seen a coyote. do these things attack people as well?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    We had a very large one in the neighborhood and all the stray cats disappeared.

And the problem is?:innocent0

Preeeeeecisely.

The ones that have moved into MD don't seem to mind a little scuffle. Two of the ones I've seen have been chasing full grown deer and the one i caught (watched it hit the trap while chasing deer) had been kicked hard enough at some point to knock out a tooth and fracture its upper jaw pretty good

We have an awful lot of deer and I wouldn't mind seeing them be controlled a little better than the hunters do.

That said, coyotes breed faster and in greater numbers than deer.

that's because the Coyotes migrating east have interbred with wolves creating the Eastern Coyote.

From what I have read all the coyotes on the east coast have wolf DNA and are more social (with other coyotes), larger, and more aggressive than the western counterpart.

This is correct; I think I've read anywhere from 30# up to about 85# for larger males.

I have heard others mention seeing them, but I doubted it as well. What I saw the other week were not foxes. So I am a believer now.

Just checked the BQ social page and there is a running thread with multiple sightings all across the peninsula just with the last few days - day and night.

Saw one about a year and half ago in Essex; was not shocked, but did have to do a double take.

educate me sir. I am an old city boy that is still learning some of the wildlife of the county area lol

I assume these things could be mistaken for dogs? I know what foxes look like in person but haven't ever seen a coyote. do these things attack people as well?

Yeah. Depends on the 'yote but as above 30-85#. Average says low to mid 50 lb range. Generally brownish or greyish in color (NOT red).

Most are territorial and occupy about a 5~9 sq mile range (going off memory here).

If anyone has known predator issues, the spring and fall are great times to hunt them. Come fall, I would gladly show up to a farm or safe open space to call/hunt for them. (Baltimore, Harford, Cecil Co.)

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I typically hunt in Howard county off of 108 between rt32 and rt29. Early muzzleloader season (oct.) I was hunting just inside a field edge on the ground and had a pretty healthy looking yote come in about 5yds from me. On that property in the past 10 years we have seen yotes maybe 3 times and gotten them on trial cameras 6 times. I would say most of the time they are just as skittish as a fox, opportunistic for an easy meal, but probably capable of putting up a good fight when cornered.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Yes, we have them all over the place here. They're very vocal. I doubt they would tangle with a dog unless it was older, smaller and wandering far away from home.

And I don't know about 85# coyotes. Usually more like 40# if I had to guess. I know people love to hate them, but from my perspective they are beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Our coyotes definatly look more like dogs then fox. If you check my photo gallery I posted a pic of the one I got about a year and a half ago. It was on the smaller side of compared to some of the pics I've seen.

AFAIK, there haven't been any attacks on humans locally yet. You can find stories of small kids being attacked in their yards in some areas. Ours are large enough that I wouldn't be surprised at a pack going after a lone adult in an isolated area (ie hiking way off path at a park).

The biggest threat is going to be to livestock and pets. There were a couple articles about flocks of sheep being attacked when they first started moving into the area. We had a young calf killed last summer. Only a couple days old and mom had it hidden in brush along a tree line. Coyotes are actually the top calf predator in the US. DNR isn't collecting info on known coyote kills (we called last year) so there aren't any accurate figures that I know about.

Prededation prevention:
    Livestock: Keep moms and their young in an easily monitored location. Donkeys supposedly will kill them if they come near. Trained sheep dogs (large breeds) will run with sheep/goats and protect them from predators. If you catch them attacking livestock you can shoot them no matter what time of day it is (per DNR). If you are just hunting them there is a dedicated night time season, but they are open season year round during the day.
    Pets- Do not use a pet door. Do not leave small animals outside unattended for any length of time. If you have outside only pets that aren't kenneled (ie barn cats) do not leave free choice food out all night. It attracts a variety of wild animals and once they know about the buffet they will keep coming back.
    Yourself- If you are somewhere you can carry (private property or have a permit) then do so. If not, carry good pepper spray and a large walking stick. Keep an eye on young children while they are playing. If they are old enough to run around on their own, make sure they have a good walking stick (and that they know what will happen if they use if on another kid).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

The tail is a good indicator. A near body length tail is usually a fox. Coyotes tails are shorter than the torso length. A coyote tail will point down when they run whereas a fox tail is usually straight out.

There are rare instances of coyotes attacking adults (semi famous incident of a killing in Canada a few years ago of a young woman on a solo hike). They have been known to attack young children if separated from a group.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Yes, we have them all over the place here. They're very vocal. I doubt they would tangle with a dog unless it was older, smaller and wandering far away from home.

And I don't know about 85# coyotes. Usually more like 40# if I had to guess. I know people love to hate them, but from my perspective they are beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The female I trapped was just over 40lbs. Guy I know shot a male that went over 70 a few years back.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    ok, thanks for the good info.

I doubt one will wander into my neighborhood, (suburban area that is probably too densely populated) but was just worried about my dogs if one happened to do so.

Ive got a 65-70 pound male husky and 100 pound male german shepherd that are usually out together so hopefully they could fend one off.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    My home backs up to Patapsco State park and a couple months ago my neighbor swore to me he saw a "fox" chasing a deer in our backyard. I presume what he saw was a Yote.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    ^is that your game camera?
    Have you seen any more or less going on since the construction across from the synagogue and the new houses on browns bridge?

Reaper812

Wayne
    Sep 14, 2012
    Howard county
    A buck was hit on the road so I dragged it down near my stand and set up game cam, cause I killed a doe last week and waited 45 mins to track her and in that time coyote ate the hind quarters out. Coyotes have the deer so spooky this past hunting season

Reaper812

Wayne
    Sep 14, 2012
    Howard county
    Seen a lot of deer but acting really strange I thought it was the new tree stands I set up but after retrieving that doe now I know its coyotes

^is that your game camera?
    Have you seen any more or less going on since the construction across from the synagogue and the new houses on browns bridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom