• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepJoey345

Jul 21, 2016
    Eldersburg MD
    I know someone has already said it, but I grew up in Aberdeen in the 90s, and there was a good bit of coyote's then. On APG they will just trot right by you in the day light without a care in the world. Happened to a coworker of mine while he was changing a road wheel. When I was living in Columbia, there was a good sized fox community that posted up in the church a block up. I don't mind them because I always go outside (when I had a yard) with my 20lb dog, now with our townhome we have to talk her. I believe foxes and coyotes are relatively common throughout the lower 48. They strike me as adaptable to this country.

Red5

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2016
    Maryland
    I know someone has already said it, but I grew up in Aberdeen in the 90s, and there was a good bit of coyote's then. On APG they will just trot right by you in the day light without a care in the world. Happened to a coworker of mine while he was changing a road wheel. When I was living in Columbia, there was a good sized fox community that posted up in the church a block up. I don't mind them because I always go outside (when I had a yard) with my 20lb dog, now with our townhome we have to talk her. I believe foxes and coyotes are relatively common throughout the lower 48. They strike me as adaptable to this country.

I think a fox could take out a 20lb. dog. be careful.

JeepJoey345

Jul 21, 2016
    Eldersburg MD
    She doesn't have the fighting spirit. We don't live there anymore so no worries. I do know from trying to get close to the foxes, they run away from humans. They were normal sized foxes though, in the 30-40lb range. We had no less then 4 dogs at all times when the whole pack was outside so I am thinking they would stay out of our fenced in yard. When it was late and I would send my little girlfriend out on her own, I would always go out with her.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Red foxes average weight from the many I have trapped, is 10-16 pounds. Females a little smaller in the 10-12 range, males 12-15, with the young of the year at 10-11 for males. The 16 pounders all males. Had some females at 15 pounds. Had 2 18 pound males come through the shop. Smallest red was about 8 pounds, female. Greys, both sexes 8-14 pounds. Coyotes weigh more, 40 pounds would be a good decent eastern coyote.

Red foxes do eat small dogs and cats now and then, but not really the foxy thing. They prefer mice, rabbits, and chickens.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Bailey weight 75.6 lbs today at the vets. He's not a small lab.
    My black lab came in at 105 at the last vet visit. The crappy part is the try to make you buy the 100lb and 25lb heartworm stuff for him. I dont think a yote would mess with him, but unless it tried to take his ball I dont think hed fight it much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Multiple coyotes will take on a large dog. One baits them in and lets it chase them into the woods, the others come in and attack. It tends to happen when they have pups and the den is nearby.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Multiple coyotes will take on a large dog. One baits them in and lets it chase them into the woods, the others come in and attack. It tends to happen when they have pups and the den is nearby.

I wonder if the coyotes in Harford County are banding or their are isolationist? I've never seen more than 1 at a time. Just my personal experience, nothing more.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I would think that would be considered a Band. First time I've heard that other than on the Proving Grounds.
    By us its normally no more than one at a time, interesting that someone might have seen that though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I went and got these frozen yoties today. They were roadkill on 40 in the White Marsh area, what the guy told me. Hit in march if I recall. My digital scale fell hard on the floor and I think it broke, it was giving me all sorts of readings, so I got my old brass fish scale that is 1/2 pound off usually, but it works, and both dogs went 42 pounds. Fur is ugly, and no idea how fresh they were when he grabbed them, but I will see what I can do with them. I know one is male, the other is too curled to tell, but I thought I felt a thingy in there, so maybe male. Check out the big feet on the one! I am amazed at how big these local coyotes' feet are. Big toe pads. Track was at the farm I trapped this last season.

Attachments

• 2coyotesa.jpg
      2coyotesa.jpg
      113 KB · Views: 311
    • 2coyotesd.jpg
      2coyotesd.jpg
      114.4 KB · Views: 146
    • coyotetracksskillman2.jpg
      coyotetracksskillman2.jpg
      141.9 KB · Views: 239

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    As to size of the eastern coywolf beasts, here's a huge one from NJ. 62 pounds. Not mounted by me. This guy was likely munching on garbage and kitty cats, notice how fat he is.

Attachments

• 62poundNJyote.jpg
      62poundNJyote.jpg
      115.3 KB · Views: 407

cah9583

Back yard AR mechanic ?
    Aug 3, 2016
    Preston Md
    I chased off one here in Preston one night, had to keep it from eating my outdoor cat. Between that and the wild dogs we have our hands full out here

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Check out the big feet on the one! I am amazed at how big these local coyotes' feet are. Big toe pads. Track was at the farm I trapped this last season.

Those feet are ginormous.

I work at APG also, seen good size eastern coyotes both back behind the fence and over by the 6000 campus, late at night and early in the am. I live in Bel Air off Wheel Road, and I saw one early once crossing Cedar Lane. Had fox in the neighborhood up til last year - haven't seen one in more than a year - could be the coyotes.

These Eastern populations are exploding all over the place. My mother lives on Cape Cod and had her little dog snapped up by one in a second after she put it out.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I go to my brother's farm near Petersburg, VA a couple of times per year to hunt coyotes and other pests. Their numbers have thinned-out noticeably since I started going in 2006 but they're still around and still a menace to his livestock. I was driving on I-68 to Morgantown recently, just passing thru Cumberland when I damn near ran over a rather large one at the LaVale exit.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Never coyotes here, but fox in and around Druid Hill Park where the zoo is. I can smell what I believe to be fox on JHU campus which backs up to Stony Run, where the old Ma and Pa Railroad use to run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom