• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Got back from dinner and the wife & I were checking on the baby goats that were born this afternoon. We were in the stall with them when I heard our dogs going batshXt crazy. Thought we had another fox going after the chickens so I ran back to the house, grabbed the XD45 surefire combo and proceeded to snoop & poop. Herd some rustling, lit it up and "holy shxt" a coyote! I was so stunned I didn't get a shot off until it took off. Missed :sad20: Next time I'll grab the Mossberg.

I've seen plenty of coyotes before and hunted them out west, knew there were some here in Maryland but had never seen or heard of one here in St Marys (Mechanicsville area)

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    I didn't know we had them here at all. I saw them listed in the DNR regs but figured they were all out in Western MD.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    They're here. I hit one with my car in Frederick county a couple years ago a little while after dusk. Man, trying to convince people that I hit a coyote was like telling them I was abducted by aliens!! I'm still not sure anyone believed me.

Anyway, glad all the animals and humans are ok!!!

mike73

Aug 6, 2009
    Nottingham,MD
    Yes they are here a friend of mine killed one last year in Darlington

Attachments

• 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      89 KB · Views: 1,010

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Walked right up on one and had a stare down about 10 years ago in North Potomac (Monkey Co.), in a woodsy area off Piney Meetinghouse Road. This was behind a house I was building. There was the eeriest feeling of primeval wildness about it. It had flourescent green eyes, and was darker than most coyotes. We stared at each other, ten feet apart, for 5 or ten seconds, then it turned and walked back into the woods, pausing after a few steps to look back at me over its shoulder.

About 1997, the wife and I were camping at Trap Pond, Delaware (cool place, by the way) and one started howling right outside our tent - the most bizarre space-alien unearthly sound I have ever heard- nothing at all like what you hear in the old movies. I would have thought that zombie martians had landed, but my wife had lived in western Oklahoma, and recognized the yowling.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Yeah, i first heard them when out in the field at Camp Pendleton. I was a young kid from Jersey, just out of bootcamp and was standing watch at 0300 when one cut loose close by me. I damn near jumped out of the fighting hole

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I saw one on Rt 210 in Pg county last year right around where that road side bar-b-que place used to be. Time was around 630 in the am it was on a sunday road was clear and 2 were crossing the hwy, freaked my wife out

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Wow....that was quick to see coyotes. I'm glad you scared them off but they'll be back. Protect your kids.

This. My uncle out in IN told us one tried to drag off a toddler in his neighborhood. Be careful. Also, rabies season is here isn't it?

mbenz85

MDS Supporter
    Apr 22, 2009
    Harford County
    Coyotes are def here in Harford County. All along the 155 corridor. They have been reeking havoc on some of the live stock out here. It makes sense that they are going after smaller livestock. After the smaller goats or sheep are born, those coyotes can smell it and they come right up looking for a quick meal.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I thought I saw one crossing the road at night in Calvert last year (or so) but figured my mind was playing tricks on me, or it was just someone's dog that looked like a Coyote. This makes me less dismissive of my eyes.

We're going to get chickens soon. I guess we'll find out, huh?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Walked right up on one and had a stare down about 10 years ago in North Potomac (Monkey Co.), in a woodsy area off Piney Meetinghouse Road. This was behind a house I was building. There was the eeriest feeling of primeval wildness about it. It had flourescent green eyes, and was darker than most coyotes. We stared at each other, ten feet apart, for 5 or ten seconds, then it turned and walked back into the woods, pausing after a few steps to look back at me over its shoulder.

(slightly off topic) THIS is why I love wilderness. That primeval feeling that comes when you know your spot on top of the food chain is in dispute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom