• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Well my new itch . I cannot find in a comfortable interpretation of any magazine limits . Hunting with rifle . Is it 3 ? 8? Does it matter . Hunted them before but now have an itch to seriously do it not just excuse to get out . My understanding is now through next couple months is breeding season . Tell ya heard them things last year when I was heading into woods for Turkey.Any input ? Plan on using 308 or maybe 556. Have to buy some things , call ,mounted light etc...... can’t afford thermal or night vision . Looking forward to getting out at night spook myself . Ah the memories . Anyway biggest concern is if there’s a magazine limit . Also plan on carrying handgun .is this legal also ? Not concealed but something to have as backup / in close. Probably 45, 44 is to big / long . 357 also but I feel more comfortable with 1911. There is bear wear I will be hunting . Calling DNR was not productive in getting answers. Be nice to speak with actual field officers. Can’t believe I said that . Just want to be on right side of things .opinions ? So where else I can find info ? Thanks in advance

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    8.. the three round limit pertains to shotguns when hunting migratory birds. ;)

I think if rifles are permitted you can also use a handgun as long as it meets the handgun hunting criteria (which I will have to look up again, been a while since I hunted with one).

Edit... shotgun limit is 3 rds total for furbearers also, just read that..

Last edited:

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

I think if rifles are permitted you can also use a handgun as long as it meets the handgun hunting criteria (which I will have to look up again, been a while since I hunted with one).
    You sure its 8? I think the guide specifically calls out that numerous for DEER hunting.

Also, 700 foot pounds and a 6" barrel for Deer and bear.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You sure its 8? I think the guide specifically calls out that numerous for DEER hunting.

Also, 700 foot pounds and a 6" barrel for Deer and bear.
    You are correct, I corrected/edited my previous post, sorry.. I don't hunt them in MD

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    From the DNR guide to hunting -

Firearms​

Taking coyote, fisher, gray fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, red fox and skunk with firearms is subject to these regulations:

• A shotgun may not hold more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
    • Rifles and handguns may be used. Full metal-jacketed, incendiary, or tracer bullets may not be used.
    • Muzzleloading rifles, shotguns and handguns may be used. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder. Muzzleloaders are considered unloaded if the ignition system is disabled by removal of the cap, primer, battery or primer powder.
    • It is illegal to have a loaded firearm in, on or leaning against any vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine or a muzzleloader ready to fire.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018

Edit... shotgun limit is 3 rds total for furbearers also, just read that..
    I seen the 3 for shotgun but again didn’t feel warm and fuzzy about my interpretation . Deer is 8 . Doesn’t make sense to me . Shotgun 3 , rifle 8 ? I don’t feel the handbook is very clear. On the side of caution I’m thinking 3 , but......... in my mind that doesn’t make sense either for a coyote.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I just scanned the entire hunting and trapping guide and I see no magazine limits spelled out in any way other than shotgun for furbearers. I don't think there is a rifle magazine limit when hunting coyotes here in MD, or at least it is not written into the hunting guide anywhere. There are for deer, but not bear or furbearers other than shotgun limits.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I just scanned the entire hunting and trapping guide and I see no magazine limits spelled out in any way other than shotgun for furbearers. I don't think there is a rifle magazine limit when hunting coyotes here in MD, or at least it is not written into the hunting guide anywhere. There are for deer, but not bear or furbearers other than shotgun limits.

Here is how I roll...

Deer rifle. 8 +1
    Deer Shotgun...fill er up.

Bear rifle and shotgun. See above.

I don't hunt ducks, turkey, or any other bird.

Coyote, squirrel groundhog. Fill er up. My 10-22 ( jk, I don't own one) would have 10.

Abide by above in your long guns, i think your ok.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Here is how I roll...

Deer rifle. 8 +1

Coyote, squirrel groundhog. Fill er up. My 10-22 ( jk, I don't own one) would have 10.

I think you are spot on... waterfowl and other migratory birds (dove for example) are the same 3 rds in a shotgun limitation except snow geese where they relax some of the regs for the late season (after canada goose closes, pull out all the stops, including electronic calls).

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    308 is usually heavier than 223 in rifles and ammo so for dogs I use 223. When I head south dogs and hogs are in play so I use the 6.5 creedmoor. A couple pounds makes a noticeable difference when out for hours during the night. I’ve used green light , Night vision and thermal. All three work just be conscious of shadows if working with green/red light. Get out quick because breeding is winding down. GL
    Also I’ve spent a lot of nights in Garrett county calling and have never seen a bear. But be very aware of your surroundings especially if your carrying out a kill.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 6.35.01 PM.png

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Op, NV is more affordable than you think . The sightmark wrath is awesome for $500 or so. Let's you program 5 different zeros. Definitely can see 300 yards.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Wow , Sightmark is pretty cool . Real cool. Sold . Was watching some YouTube videos on it . Thinking I need a new rifle / set up for doing this . Ya know , have a duck gun Turkey gun goose gun deer rifles etc..... now I need a coyote gun . Definitely have a fear of running into bear , have before and it wasn’t pleasant. Think I was more scared than the bear . Definitely have some studying to do on this subject. Thank you everyone for the input !

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Wow , Sightmark is pretty cool . Real cool. Sold . Was watching some YouTube videos on it . Thinking I need a new rifle / set up for doing this . Ya know , have a duck gun Turkey gun goose gun deer rifles etc..... now I need a coyote gun . Definitely have a fear of running into bear , have before and it wasn’t pleasant. Think I was more scared than the bear . Definitely have some studying to do on this subject. Thank you everyone for the input !
    The wraith is a great entry level nightvision scope. I just sold one in the classifieds attached to a savage 22-250. It served me well for 2 years but I upgraded. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to start out night hunting especially on a budget

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Here is how I roll...

Deer rifle. 8 +1

• Deer may not be hunted with a firearm
    that is loaded with more than eight cartridges or shells. Magazines do not have to be physically blocked.

This is per hunting guide for deer. Firearm and mag limit is 8. So 7 + 1 is ok.
    The rest of your advice is gtg.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The wraith is a great entry level nightvision scope. I just sold one in the classifieds attached to a savage 22-250. It served me well for 2 years but I upgraded. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to start out night hunting especially on a budget
    I just put an order in for an ATN night vision scope, first time with this type of scope, we'll see how it pans out. I don't want to spend the money on thermal right now, but I want something I can take to hog country and play around with elsewhere. Midway gave me a good price with a birthday discount. :)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    that is loaded with more than eight cartridges or shells. Magazines do not have to be physically blocked.

That is actually how I hunt if I can hunt with a rifle, which is rare in MD. It is usually my AR and I load 8 rounds in the mag and chamber one from that.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

Learn something new everyday. Wonder if that language changed in the past 10 years or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom