• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I know I've seen a few similar threads but I have some differing questions and I didn't want to hijack them

I currently have a 9mm hand gun, 22 rifle and a couple AR15 lowers. I want to get a couple more things before the ban goes into law without spending a ton of money and that's where my questions come in.

I really like the M1A, particularly the SOCOM, but I also want to get an AK purely because of the availability and price of ammo bulk. Do you guys have any preference or input?

Related, are mini-14 and/or mini-30's on the ban list? I've heard both ways so I want to get it from you guys.

I also want to get a high cap pistol in .40 so I don't have to get fingerprinted, any suggestions? I know it'll be determined on what's available but I'm thinking Sig or Glock.

Thanks!

-J

ziptiespec

I really like the M1A, particularly the SOCOM, but I also want to get an AK purely because of the availability and price of ammo bulk. Do you guys have any preference or input?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you :/

Related, are mini-14 and/or mini-30's on the ban list? I've heard both ways so I want to get it from you guys.

According to this thread (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281) the folding-stock model of the mini-14 is on the list. I don't see anything about the mini-30.

I also want to get a high cap pistol in .40 so I don't have to get fingerprinted, any suggestions? I know it'll be determined on what's available but I'm thinking Sig or Glock.

I went the XD route. I'd suggest you go rent some .40 pistols and see which you like best.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Thanks!

-J

Do you want the best weapons for the money, or do you just want something that is banned to say you have something banned?

If it were my money and I were going to get a .308 semi-auto rifle my list would look like this:

SCAR
    AR-10
    FN FNAR

All of which are not regulated.

If I wanted something in 7.62x39, I would also go with non-regulated firearms, mostly because the wait is INSANE due to MSP ****ing up. That list would go like this:

RPD (Semi-auto)
    Vz.58
    SIG 556R
    Mini-30
    SKS

All, not regulated!

Dichotmist

Dec 17, 2012
    California, MD
    Another option is that you already have the AR-15 lowers and could build them in several different ways. I have been thinking about building three of mine out with uppers with this following calibers:
    1. 5.56
    2. 7.62x39
    3. 5.45x39

Just another option instead of going with a totally separate weapon.

As for the handgun I am a fan of the S&W M&P40 but everyone has their own preference for touch and feel.

As for what Markp stated, the majority if any are not going to be banned after Oct 1st. So I would wait on those and get the stuff that will be banned first.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I know I've seen a few similar threads but I have some differing questions and I didn't want to hijack them

I currently have a 9mm hand gun, 22 rifle and a couple AR15 lowers. I want to get a couple more things before the ban goes into law without spending a ton of money and that's where my questions come in.

Thanks!

-J

IF you decide on the M1A, consider the "Scout/Squad" instead of the SOCOM.
    The SOCOM has a 'different' gas system vs. the Scout/Squad and Standard sized M1A.

As for the .40, do you want full-sized or compact, or sub-compact.
    I really like my Glock handguns. ZERO complaints.
    Just for kicks and grins, the G23 shoots really nicely and is easy to carry/conceal.
    The G22 is very nice IF you're looking for a full-sized pistol.
    Any of the Glock .40(s) can be converted to 9mm or .357 Sig quite easily.
    (.40 to .357 Sig is barrel only swap!)
    The Glock 9mm pistols can't.
    The Glock .357 Sig pistols can be converted.

I'm no fan of Sig. They don't fit my hands. They're supposed to be a nice pistol. I just don't care for them.

Consider the Smith & Wesson M&P line.
    Really nice ergonomics. Nice shootin' pistols.

Good luck making a decision, however, the pistols will still be around after October 1. Rifle choice. . . . probably not.

justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Yeah the more I think about it, I feel that I'm vastly over rating the M1A. Especially when AR10s and bolt action 308s will still be around.

As far as handguns, I really do not want to go through the States licensing and get fingerprinted. It's a principal thing for me I guess.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah the more I think about it, I feel that I'm vastly over rating the M1A. Especially when AR10s and bolt action 308s will still be around.

As far as handguns, I really do not want to go through the States licensing and get fingerprinted. It's a principal thing for me I guess.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have an AR10A4 (like below but with black furniture), it's the better gun out of the box.

Don't get me wrong... I love my M1A, but it wasn't cheap love.

Mark

Attachments

• NFA M1A Troy MCS.jpg
      NFA M1A Troy MCS.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 148
    • AR10A4-01s.jpg
      AR10A4-01s.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 144

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's all up to you , your wallet , and what you WANT.

If you want an M1A on purpose , get one. If you want a semi-auto .308 in general , and AR-10 or CETME will be available after Oct , and you can free up $ for other things.

If you want an AK on purpose to own an iconic weapon system for historical balance , get one. If you just want to go bang with inexpensive Russian ammo , SKS , Mini-30s , and AR uppers will be around after Oct to free up $ for other things.

I'd focus on more handguns. I hear you on the refusing unconstitutional liscencing schemes , so pre-ban is only partial issue.

Never mind the flame wars , and running jokes- a 9mm and a .40 of the same basic size catagory are largely redundent. Go for thought out diferences to meet different roles. If you a full size now , get a smallish compact. If you have small , get a full size. If you want bigger than a 9mm , don't go halfway, get a .45 (or 10mm). Everybody needs a .22lr pistol. If you are pleased with you 9mm for all around use , go wheelgun. A .44 or .45LC , .357Mag for hunting , long range, etc . A .38spl snub

*because you want one* is valid , just set your priorities of what you specifically want now vs what can be gotten ( or you choose to participate in ) later.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

Never mind the flame wars , and running jokes- a 9mm and a .40 of the same basic size catagory are largely redundent. Go for thought out diferences to meet different roles. If you a full size now , get a smallish compact. If you have small , get a full size. If you want bigger than a 9mm , don't go halfway, get a .45 (or 10mm). Everybody needs a .22lr pistol. If you are pleased with you 9mm for all around use , go wheelgun. A .44 or .45LC , .357Mag for hunting , long range, etc . A .38spl snub

*because you want one* is valid , just set your priorities of what you specifically want now vs what can be gotten ( or you choose to participate in ) later.

Why does everyone need a 22lr pistol?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

If you want an M1A on purpose , get one. If you want a semi-auto .308 in general , and AR-10 or CETME will be available after Oct , and you can free up $ for other things.

If you want an AK on purpose to own an iconic weapon system for historical balance , get one. If you just want to go bang with inexpensive Russian ammo , SKS , Mini-30s , and AR uppers will be around after Oct to free up $ for other things.

I'd focus on more handguns. I hear you on the refusing unconstitutional liscencing schemes , so pre-ban is only partial issue.

^^^ GREAT post!!!!!

(ETA-) IF I didn't already have an M1A (incredibly accurate, btw!), I'd be really looking for an AR-10, but, it's my understanding that the AR-10 platform will still be available after 10/01. ??? :shrug: ???

Why does everyone need a 22lr pistol?

Several reasons -

• You can carry a LOT of .22lr ammo (IF you can find it) in the same physical size as a larger caliber.
    • Accurate. Plain and simple.
    • Just . . . . Because.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom