• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Does anybody me know of a website that lists firearms policies for each county?
    I saw a proposed county policy for Calvert from 2020 but cannot find whether it was officially implemented.
    Thanks!

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    If it’s what I am thinking of, that bull crap in Calvert was immediately rescinded once the public really found out what the county legislature had done.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I saw a proposed county policy for Calvert from 2020 but cannot find whether it was officially implemented.
    Thanks!
    I don't know of any site that has each county's regulations listed. I usually just go to the county code for a given county if I have a question.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    There’s no central database on all these localities, but typically their ordinances and regs can be found by heading to their official government website and looking for their codes.

I found Calvert County’s codes and then searched “weapon.”

Codes will often refer to or rely on state law.

MD Criminal Law Title 4. Weapons Crimes

MD Public Safety Title 5. Firearms

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You'll need to check county by county as DC-W mentioned. When in doubt, dangerous weapons and guns are banned in county facilities/buildings in Maryland. Maryland law bans it in state facilities/buildings, but leaves the county's on their own for bans.

Montgomery, well, that's a special hell. The same with Baltimore City. Outside of those, you are fairly free except inside county buildings. Not a comprehensive list, but I know Montgomery, Howard and Balitmore counties ban carry in their county buildings (Baltimore City just bans carry everywhere, unless you are a squeegee). I am pretty sure more counties do also, I am just not sure. Some of the counties don't, but unfortunately it is one of those, if in doubt, assume the answer is no about a county building (it can also be banned by the city if incorporated, and some do, and some don't).

As far as I have been able to find out, only Montgomery county, Baltimore City and the city of Leonardtown further restrict carrying of a firearm beyond what the state prohibits with the exception as I noted above that some counties, cities and towns prohibit the carrying of firearms or weapons into any buildings on county/local government property, but do not prohibit carrying of firearms on the property itself. For example, in Howard County, if I have a W&C permit, I can carry at the park because it is NOT a state park. But I cannot then go into the bathroom at the park as it is a building on county property. Yes, stupid. Or I could have a gun in my car at Alpha Ridge Landfill/dump, but I couldn't take that gun in to any of the buildings there. Or I could have the gun in my car in the parking lot of one of the county police stations, but I couldn't carry the gun into the police station.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Clarence Thomas recently wrote a good summary, no?
    Probably still something we are going to have to deal with even once the hammer of Clarence comes down on the various states, counties, and cities over sensitive places. He wasn't crystal clear on it, but it certainly sounds like SC would be okay if things like government buildings being covered as a sensitive place.

I suspect ANY government owned building wouldn't (for example, a snack-stand or restrooms at a public park, rest stop, etc.). But I'd bet any government building where business is conducted for the public and security/police are directly available or where the public is normally not allowed is probably going to continue being allowed to be sensitive.

And I'd bet some states, counties, and/or cities will regulate that different. But eventually we should need to know where it is okay and isn't okay based on the state/county/city is going to be drastically reduced as the places where it can be restricted is probably going to end up being really small.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I do a UBC each night before I get into bed. Under Bed Check(for monsters)
    Due to previous incidents, mine is a Universal Bedroom Check. Got to secure the closet, too.
    CDSpfh5.gif

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Thanks!
    Based on Maryland COMAR countys have only minor authority to make new laws governing wear and carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom