Could the Ridgid On-Site Storage Chest Work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • splfd

Jul 27, 2011
    Unfree State
    Happy New Year Folks-

I have several rifles and several hand guns that need to be secured better then they are now. All are currently secured, but I was looking for a storage container that won't break the bank and could be moved in and out of the basement without the help of a professional costing major dollars I just don't have. Of course I would love to purchase a Liberty Safe, but the reality of getting it down the stairs would be task that I am unable to handle. Additionally the cost of a high quality safe is way out of my budget these days; especially with the uncertainty of government employment.

I did several searches on the forum but did not come up with a viable solution, hence I am posting here.

An alternative could be a Ridgid On-Site Storage Chest. Do you think a Ridgid On-Site Storage Chest could work temporarily for firearm storage? Here is a link to one that I am thinking about. https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/2048-on-site-storage-chest

I understand these chests aren't fire proofed or water tight. I have insurance with the NRA in case of fire loss.

If the chest were bolted into concrete in four corners, do you think this could serve as a storage chest for firearms that could potentially thwart the average criminal from obtaining my firearms and done so at a more reasonable cost?

Thank you for your reading my post and I do appreciate your honest opinions.

SPLFD

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    That's a good solution. It will thwart most thieves and keep kids away from your firearms. It is much better than a Stack-on cabinet but not as good as a safe.

FWIW I store mine in a KNAACK storage cabinet. Much better use of space than a safe. Not quite as secure and not fireproof.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Happy New Year Folks-

I have several rifles and several hand guns that need to be secured better then they are now. All are currently secured, but I was looking for a storage container that won't break the bank and could be moved in and out of the basement without the help of a professional costing major dollars I just don't have. Of course I would love to purchase a Liberty Safe, but the reality of getting it down the stairs would be task that I am unable to handle. Additionally the cost of a high quality safe is way out of my budget these days; especially with the uncertainty of government employment.

I did several searches on the forum but did not come up with a viable solution, hence I am posting here.

An alternative could be a Ridgid On-Site Storage Chest. Do you think a Ridgid On-Site Storage Chest could work temporarily for firearm storage? Here is a link to one that I am thinking about. https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/2048-on-site-storage-chest

I understand these chests aren't fire proofed or water tight. I have insurance with the NRA in case of fire loss.

If the chest were bolted into concrete in four corners, do you think this could serve as a storage chest for firearms that could potentially thwart the average criminal from obtaining my firearms and done so at a more reasonable cost?

Thank you for your reading my post and I do appreciate your honest opinions.

SPLFD
    Maybe not. One of the first reviews of the product at the link you posted says someone had the entire chest stolen including all contents within the first two weeks of ownership. Granted it was from a truck but it seems too portable for your purpose. Costco has great deals on safes that are not too expensive.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Bolting Down is a Positive Thing regardless of Your Choice. Fireproofing can be Added. One of My Friends saw an add for a Free safe ....Just had to be Removed ! A case of Bud , 4 pcs of black Iron Pipe, a Johnson Bar, a Bag of 9mm Ball Bearings and some sore backs later all was well.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-Safe-%7c-19.1-CuFt-%7c-30-min-Fire-Protection-%7c-59"H-x-28"W-x-20"D-%7c-Electronic-Lock.product.11625662.html

$599 delivered. Why not go with a real safe for just a bit more than the tool box?

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-Safe-%7c-19.1-CuFt-%7c-30-min-Fire-Protection-%7c-59"H-x-28"W-x-20"D-%7c-Electronic-Lock.product.11625662.html

$599 delivered. Why not go with a real safe for just a bit more than the tool box?

The OP did mention cost and manuverability.

Safe: $599/ 435 lbs
    Rigid: $289/ 149 lbs. 52% cheaper/ 66% lighter

Seems to fit the bill!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The main disadvantage to a gang box is convenience. If you have many guns, they'll have to go in layers.

Otherwise it's a pretty good solution, especially if you bolt it down.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Save up a few bucks and get a low cost safe. How quick can you gain access to a padlock with a key? Also, I'd prefer a combo code than a keyed lock. You can get a Gunvault safe pretty inexpensively.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    If you're limited to $300 and a one man lift I'd say the job box or the stack on cabinet. My preference would be the vertical cabinet bolted to the floor inside a closet (if possible). There are some nice stand up type job boxes but more $$$$

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    You can pick up a 4' Knaack box on craigslist for about $200 if you shop around-a rusty one for less$ - a couple cans of trunk paint and a weekend of sanding it and you got a decent secure box--padlocks and interior locking parts are available if they are busted up.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Some of the cheap safes have thinner steel than the worksite box. Dont skimp on the padlocks. Neither a toolbox nor a cheap safe are a match for an assailant with time and tools.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    It will keep out "the kids" and whoever doesn't want to make any noise, but just like most of inexpensive safes, it won't stop a determined thief.

Fun story. Years ago, someone lost the keys to our gang box at work. The plans were in there, so that box had to be opened. My foreman asked me to open it, without damaging the box. After an hour he said "F**k it, just get that thing open!". I had the plans in his hands in less then five minutes. :D

splfd

Jul 27, 2011
    Unfree State
    Wow... Thank you everyone for weighing in with my question. I do appreciate the time you took to offer suggestions and recommendation to increase the security posture of my home. The one article listed originally by Snallygaster and then mentioned by Minuteman was excellent. It was a bit disturbing to see how much damage could be done to a gun vault with a Sawzall!

In any case thank you all again for your experiences and knowledge voiced through your fingertips.
    I'm sure I will see many of you in Annapolis during the 2nd Amendment Rally. I won't know your names, but I'm proud to stand shoulder to shoulder.

Best regards, SPFD

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    You can pick up a 4' Knaack box on craigslist for about $200 if you shop around-a rusty one for less$ - a couple cans of trunk paint and a weekend of sanding it and you got a decent secure box--padlocks and interior locking parts are available if they are busted up.

+1 used ones on craigslist are cheap.

Northern tool has them on sale right now too. Tractor Supply has them in stock in a more discreet rust color instead of "look at me" orange.

You can line it with firebrick for fireplaces. will add weight and fire resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom