• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctb766

Apr 8, 2014
    I have an OD Green Upper/lower that I want built into a complete rifle. I can handle assembling the lower myself, but don't have the tools or the experience in putting together a upper.

I'm guessing my best option would be to purchase all needed parts to finish the upper and then pay a shop to assemble for me.

What would a typical shop charge me to put together an upper?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    ....or find a board member near you with the upper vise and a barrel nut wrench willing to show a newbie the ropes....

which is typically even less expensive than paying someone to do it for you....and you learn a new set of skills. skills that make you a nightmare for people like.......oh wait, nevermind that.

where are you located?

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Just buy my upper:)

4880540bfe50e5504b589d25efdef50b_zps453781f1.jpg

Shoot me a message if you're interested. Premium parts

ctb766

Apr 8, 2014
    But I've also had my eye on a complete KMR 13" Upper from BCM. I may buy one of those first for my other lower.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm a home brewer - I've got an upper that will have to be built out at some point and I'm more than willing to put a batch of home brew up as "payment" for help building an upper. :D Pick your style - I've done everything from really pale beers to oatmeal stouts, to Imperial ales that run about 8% abv. I'm not an ace - only been doing it about 16 months, but I've made some danged tasty beers in that time. Sounds like a fair trade to me anyway.

ctb766

Apr 8, 2014
    Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it when I get around to it. I'm about to start framing and finishing my basement, so it may not happen right away.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    After looking into it myself for my first (and so far only build), the cost of parts and tools to build the upper start to negate any savings. The only advantage is you can spread the cost out over time.

That being said, there are many members on this board who are very generous with their time and tools, and you may be able to get by without buying any specialized tools. If you have a bunch of uppers to build, or you have a bunch of friends with uppers to build, you may be better off buying the tools.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    got to Freestate gun range in Whitemarsh
    they'll put the whole thing together for you, test fire it, even sight it in if you have an optic.
    they'll charge around $40
    you can't beat it

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That can be beat when you have members that'll do the build for free.

And you may actually learn something too. ;-)

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Might have to keep an eye on this thread. I want to build a 20" later for the Dissy I just put on layaway (And getting next check!) from Engage... Though the lower is stamped CAL: MULTI so I guess I could go 308? maybe? IDK... but I'd love to learn how to actually assemble one myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom