• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Shouldn't the first 11 years of the AK 47 be C&R eligable? If so is anyone selling the early ones as C&R? Just fantisizing since it'll be a while even before I get the $ to get my AR built. :sad20:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Shouldn't the first 11 years of the AK 47 be C&R eligable? If so is anyone selling the early ones as C&R? Just fantisizing since it'll be a while even before I get the $ to get my AR built. :sad20:
    I don't think so. I cannot find it again, but around three years ago I remember reading somewhere that when a a C&R firearm is modified from its origional configuration by anyone besides the army that used it for service then it loses its status (which I assume changes again when it is fifty years again after the alteration)....or something like that.
    Changing it from full auto to semi auto is a change in configuration. If it was done fifty years ago, or if the military did it for regular issue maybe, then it would still be a C&R.
    Now the ATF can still designate them C&R if they determine they have collector or curio value before the 50 year point, but I doubt that will happen for an entire lot of semi auto AKs.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    By the way, there are some full auto C&R AK47s in this country, but I am pretty sure they were C&R long before they became fifty years old.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thanks Novus dashed my hopes and dreams again ;) I had a feeling the full to semi conversion would void that possibility.

Double check on it, my memory may be faulty. Also, the ATF may have changed their minds. After all, they seemed to have changed their minds on the Romanian Tokarevs with the safety switch addition even though it changed the configuration, so ya never know.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    The early AKs as C&R is an interesting question because several issues impact the issue. Let me try work through the issues as I understand them.
    The C&R designation has two classes: Curio and Relic. Curios are the ones on the ATF list; like the CZ-82, not 50 years old but of special collector interest. Relics are anything over 50 years (the buts I'll get to). The 'unmodified' language come from the fact that when the C&R class was set up, most WWll weapons were not 50 years old; they were Curios, not Relics, so unmodified was required. The interpretation was, I my opinion, incorrectly applied after the item qualified as a Relic. (I actually questioned several companies and the ATF about this relative to the Romanian TTC.)
    So as it stands the early AKs would be C&R. BUT the ATF also says that anything that was a 'machine gun' is always a machine gun. So these AKs are C&R but other rules apply as well. Such as: no addtional 'machine guns' my be registered under NFA of 1934. There has been off/on talk about an additional amnesty registration period because of all the WWll vets families finding things as the Vets pass on but it has not moved forward.
    Nice thought but...:)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The early AKs as C&R is an interesting question because several issues impact the issue. Let me try work through the issues as I understand them.
    The C&R designation has two classes: Curio and Relic. Curios are the ones on the ATF list; like the CZ-82, not 50 years old but of special collector interest. Relics are anything over 50 years (the buts I'll get to). The 'unmodified' language come from the fact that when the C&R class was set up, most WWll weapons were not 50 years old; they were Curios, not Relics, so unmodified was required. The interpretation was, I my opinion, incorrectly applied after the item qualified as a Relic. (I actually questioned several companies and the ATF about this relative to the Romanian TTC.)
    So as it stands the early AKs would be C&R. BUT the ATF also says that anything that was a 'machine gun' is always a machine gun. So these AKs are C&R but other rules apply as well. Such as: no addtional 'machine guns' my be registered under NFA of 1934. There has been off/on talk about an additional amnesty registration period because of all the WWll vets families finding things as the Vets pass on but it has not moved forward.
    Nice thought but...:)
    As I understand it, if a machine gun is permanently altered to semi auto (and is closed bolt firing) and cannot be easily converted back to full auto, then it is no longer a machine gun.
    I think you may be thinking about DEWATs which are still kinda sorta registered as MGs and can be made into a funtioning MG again that can be reregistered as a MG because they were still registered as DEWATs....or something mind numbingly confusing like that, or other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom