Cops Sneak Onto Man’s Property, Confiscate Surveillance Camera Without a Warrant (NOV 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Except, according to the current ROE for these DNR cops (anything goes), if you yell, “Get off my property, you are trespassing”, they can ignore you, flip you the bird, etc. They are cops so they’ll likely be armed. How are you to know they aren’t a danger? So, if you shot them, even if you legitimately (to you) thought they were a threat, since they are cops with the rules they have (anything goes for them), I think you’d be charged with murder and spend the rest of your days getting your backside enlarged till you could park a truck in It.

Not exactly the same situation you describe, but last year in Tennessee TNR police installed a game camera on a man’s private property without his knowledge. It was positioned in a way to monitor traffic into and out of the man’s property, not specifically to monitor hunting areas. The camera had a cellular module and could ttansmit images real time to the TNR agents. The camera was also totally unmarked. So basically setup to surveil the owners commings and goings. When he noticed the camera one day, he removed and and brought it back to his house.

At that point he was charged with “Steeling government property”. Yup, steeling property that was placed on his land without his knowledge and unmarked.

Here is a quote from the article.

As one page of an FWS investigation report summarizes the events, "SA's served a search warrant on HOLLINGSWORTH's residence on September 7, 2018 in reference to the stolen government property (Covert game camera) that was stolen from HOLLINGSWORTH's farm." The report uses the word "stolen" twice. But there's no reckoning with how it applies to an item placed on Hollingsworth's property without his knowledge or permission.

In April 2019, Hollingsworth was charged with six federal counts in the Western District Court of Tennessee, including improper bait placement, hunting over bait, and "knowingly conceal[ing] and retain[ing] property of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service…with the intent to their own use and gain."

This story is actually much better than the OP’s linked story because it goes into much more detail about the history of Open Fields Doctrine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Side track...

If one knew of the cameras existence. It might be fun walking past it in the buff, with a knife cletched in your teeth, carrying a stuffed deer llooking object... about 50 times.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Not exactly the same situation you describe, but last year in Tennessee TNR police installed a game camera on a man’s private property without his knowledge. It was positioned in a way to monitor traffic into and out of the man’s property, not specifically to monitor hunting areas. The camera had a cellular module and could ttansmit images real time to the TNR agents. The camera was also totally unmarked. So basically setup to surveil the owners commings and goings. When he noticed the camera one day, he removed and and brought it back to his house.

At that point he was charged with “Steeling government property”. Yup, steeling property that was placed on his land without his knowledge and unmarked.

Here is a quote from the article.

This story is actually much better than the OP’s linked story because it goes into much more detail about the history of Open Fields Doctrine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember that case. Great article with updates from when I last read about it. Total BS.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Mount the camera on a claymore with trip switch? :P
    Good question actually. What if you hold an FEL and there are no rules about mining your own property (probably are but I have no idea). You post detailed warnings about what will happen. Feds don’t listen since their shit don’t stink. They enter and blow themselves up. What happens (assuming you can lawfully claymore your land as an FEL holder)?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Good question actually. What if you hold an FEL and there are no rules about mining your own property (probably are but I have no idea). You post detailed warnings about what will happen. Feds don’t listen since their shit don’t stink. They enter and blow themselves up. What happens (assuming you can lawfully claymore your land as an FEL holder)?
    The rules for FELs are very stringent.

Someone once told me that he dumped all his pit of season deer carcasses in the middle of his goat pen. Apparently NRP didn't have the balls to get in the ring with the goats. Not that I blame them.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve heard that folks have gotten HE 40mm grenades….why not Claymores? Destructive devices.
    IMG_2442.jpeg

You just need warning signs:
    IMG_2441.jpeg

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    What would happen if you dug a pit around said camera and filled it with punji stakes, or surrounded the camera with layers of razor wire. I’d love to see them come retrieve it like that, although somehow the landowner would end up in jail. The Orwellian world is coming truth and it’s sick.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    wasnt a shop owner ?arrested?charged? When he booby trapped a skylight when it was the point entry by several burglars a number of years ago.

also, as mentioned above, this seems on a similar moral path as civil asset forfeiture . To some extent

What would happen if you dug a pit around said camera and filled it with punji stakes, or surrounded the camera with layers of razor wire. I’d love to see them come retrieve it like that, although somehow the landowner would end up in jail. The Orwellian world is coming truth and it’s sick.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    While I would still dream about the claymore mine, I would do what a friend did with his shed in WVA. He hooked a siren and light to a sensor and placed them up high in a tree with a battery and solar panel. Anyone touches his shed the siren wakes up the forest.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not the first time I"ve heard about invasive wardens in Va.

Common meme for fishermen:
    GameWarden.jpg

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    While I would still dream about the claymore mine, I would do what a friend did with his shed in WVA. He hooked a siren and light to a sensor and placed them up high in a tree with a battery and solar panel. Anyone touches his shed the siren wakes up the forest.
    Glitter bombs! Bonus if you know where the parked their rig and you stuff bananas in the tailpipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom