• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I don't know about you guys but when I am in the market for an optic I have a really hard time picking one with all the different one out there and just being able to put my hands on it and try it. I think a meet with a bunch of guys from here that are interested in learning more about optics would be really cool. We find a place and get a sign-up sheet for several people to bring the optics with their guns for other people to check out and talk about in a way to help people decide on which optics they want to buy. The sign-up sheet would be for what optics you are bringing. That way we get a bunch of different ones and not have doubles/triples. People could see the differences in types and how the high end stuff differs from the low end stuff. It would be really cool.

Anybody else think this is a cool idea and want to see about making it happen.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    The man above is not wrong if you're looking to judge some scopes.
    Same idea applies to 3-gun matches if you're looking for red dots or holographic sights.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I think a show and tell of a variety of equipment would be a great event(s) . I don't know how or where to make it happen, but I like the idea.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The man above is not wrong if you're looking to judge some scopes.
    Same idea applies to 3-gun matches if you're looking for red dots or holographic sights.
    We need to go see Vince again at some point. You got more ammo loaded?

To OP: anyplace that is big and interesting enough for an optic show and tell to be worth any more than a trip to eurooptic is a range with a lot of terrain features. Even if you don't plan to actually shoot, you will need a solid day to appreciate the Performance of the different glass on different backgrounds and in different light conditions. I am pretty "settled" in my optic preferences but I own different ones that work better for different use cases. Before you head down the "this is cool" path, make some very honest lists about what you demand from an optic in terms of features and performance in adverse conditions. Once you have your short list, start shooting matches of the type outlined and you will see PLENTY of them.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Where are these matches held and are the people there up for a show and tell? I am just really interested in learning more about all the different optics options. My list of optics I own is pretty short. 2 Sig Romeo5's, Bushnell TRS-25, Holosun 407k green dot, Vortex Viper PST 1x6, and a Vortex Viper 4x16.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    What with Corona virus numbers going back up?
    This will be a mask and injection mandatory event I assume.

1000002019.gif

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Where are these matches held and are the people there up for a show and tell? I am just really interested in learning more about all the different optics options. My list of optics I own is pretty short. 2 Sig Romeo5's, Bushnell TRS-25, Holosun 407k green dot, Vortex Viper PST 1x6, and a Vortex Viper 4x16.
    Long range challenge matches at PNTC (very laid.back and friendly, you will get lots of help). Steel plates, all prone.

Mayberry up by westminster has big boy (centerfire) and peewee (rimfire) positional steel plate matches.

New Holland PA has excellent rifle matches.

Bridgeville rifle club in Delaware is also top quality.

There are benchrest matches in Thurmont, Williamsport PA, Butner NC, etc as well.

Some helpful tips: get hold of the MD and tell them you are new and looking to learn. Ask if they need a hand with anything or if there's a light squad that you can help score or spot for. Do NOT badger shooters before or during their relay/stage run. DO talk to shooters who have finished their run. They are usually very happy to tell you about their equipment. Most MDs are very good about welcoming new shooters and can often embed you with a squad of people they know who will be supportive.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Long range challenge matches at PNTC (very laid.back and friendly, you will get lots of help). Steel plates, all prone.

Mayberry up by westminster has big boy (centerfire) and peewee (rimfire) positional steel plate matches.

New Holland PA has excellent rifle matches.

Bridgeville rifle club in Delaware is also top quality.

There are benchrest matches in Thurmont, Williamsport PA, Butner NC, etc as well.

Some helpful tips: get hold of the MD and tell them you are new and looking to learn. Ask if they need a hand with anything or if there's a light squad that you can help score or spot for. Do NOT badger shooters before or during their relay/stage run. DO talk to shooters who have finished their run. They are usually very happy to tell you about their equipment. Most MDs are very good about welcoming new shooters and can often embed you with a squad of people they know who will be supportive.
    I will have to look into one of these events. Never really given them much thought before.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    We need to go see Vince again at some point. You got more ammo loaded?
    Sure haven't. The Dillon has been pulled from the shed to the garage though, so that's progress. Two kids soccer= giant time sucker upper. Plus the job work.

Ol' Vince sure loves my neighbor. I asked her if I should give him her number. "NOPE!"

We do need to see Vince again. I'll work on getting the Dillon mounted to something and get it cranking. I've been distracted.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    When I do get out for a range day, usually at Delmarva, I will make it a point to chat with some of the folks there and we usually exchange guns for test shooting. I did that with some guys last week and shot some cool stuff. I really liked this guys Tarus TX22 and he really liked my Sig P322.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I also got to shoot a guys bull pup shotgun don't remember the brand but I had never shot one before and it was very cool. I hope to get a chance to shoot a Beretta 1301 sometime. The reviews say it is an awesome shotgun.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Sure haven't. The Dillon has been pulled from the shed to the garage though, so that's progress. Two kids soccer= giant time sucker upper. Plus the job work.

Ol' Vince sure loves my neighbor. I asked her if I should give him her number. "NOPE!"

We do need to see Vince again. I'll work on getting the Dillon mounted to something and get it cranking. I've been distracted.
    Work really is the curse of the shooters life.

Vince is a hell of a nice guy. Quiet dude but even at his age, I'd still want him riding with me. Been in the shoot house with him. He ain't fast anymore but he doesn't get nerves or fall for sucker plays.

Get your Dillon cranking once soccer slows down. Shooting in the cold will keep our barrels cooler. Last time was kinda hot out. I need time to get some brass worked up and test loads in the rig I picked up anyway.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think a show and tell of a variety of equipment would be a great event(s) . I don't know how or where to make it happen, but I like the idea.
    You show me yours, I'll show you mine... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom