• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    During this 4 hour class, our knowledgeable instructors will teach you the legal aspects of the new laws after October 1st, safe handling of a firearm, fundamentals of shooting, maintenance of a firearm, and home firearm safety.

This course fee: $75.00

Also available during this course is your Live Scan fingerprinting that is required for your HQL.

Fingerprinting fee: $54.50

$50.00 Application fee to the Maryland State Police.

6% sales tax on $500 handgun purchase = $30

Total before the firearm cost = $209.50

Not chicken feed for most people.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I was Lucky to Retired from the Corps and not required to apply for the HQL while I have been living in MD...My perspective is if I had to get an HQL I would regardless.

Knowing as mentioned it is an infringement...Protecting my family as well as enjoying the "Hobby" and being around weapons for over 35 years its just another obstacle to overcome.

I had the pleasure of Repairing and Firing many Weapons...its like in your Blood once you experience the event and do it in a Safe Way.

There are many pundits on this subject and so you will get the PRO's and CON's establishing the experience and the headaches involved.

I would go with what your "Gut" tells you but look at the future as well...if You plan to be in MD for the next 10-15 years it would be "wise" to consider it.

If you are not going to be in MD say just 1-3 years maybe you should wait. Its a hard decision...

I thought I would be in MD for a long Time and evaluated my purchases accordingly.

Now that I am moving to WV that's changed. It is a "Free State" with lesser "Controls"...Though I still have to consider moving back maybe in the future with this is uncertainty, it will decide my "Purchases. That is my situation.

So that is why you should evaluate your "Situation" and go from there. It is your decision that YOU/FAMILY HAVE TO LIVE WITH No one else's.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No disrespect to my piece of paper holding friends giving Instruction, but for either 41yrs or 232yrs depending upon how you look at it , without Mandtated Training we didn't have rashes of negligent shootings and mistaken shootings in public.

Despite the chuckles and punchlines, most people aren't stupid . If they don't know anything about their new to them power tool, they will at least read directions, probably ask knowlegeble authority or experienced mentor .

( Yes , I am outspoken about the amount of skills and relevent knowledge one should aquire and maintain. I am just opposed to gov't mandates.)

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    If you don't get the HQL and buy the guns you want from your friend, probably at a better price that the open market, you will regret it later.
    Yes it is an infringement on our 2A rights, but it could be worse. If you already own a registered hand gun, use that as your training exemption,
    going that route, it should only cost you about $105 +/-, not including gas $ and time, as Dad4 stated. If all the handguns that you have now are owned legally and unregistered, I would go ahead and take a training course, as I wouldn't voluntary register a legally owned handgun, if I didn't have to.

NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    No disrespect to my piece of paper holding friends giving Instruction, but for either 41yrs or 232yrs depending upon how you look at it , without Mandtated Training we didn't have rashes of negligent shootings and mistaken shootings in public.

Despite the chuckles and punchlines, most people aren't stupid . If they don't know anything about their new to them power tool, they will at least read directions, probably ask knowlegeble authority or experienced mentor .

( Yes , I am outspoken about the amount of skills and relevent knowledge one should aquire and maintain. I am just opposed to gov't mandates.)

I don't disagree with you, but for the years prior, gun education was welcomed. Now we've gotten to the point where you have to talk about guns in a hushed voice when you're in public.

I also don't think people are stupid, but they are blissfully ignorant. Chambering sideways with the muzzle pointed at you neighbour's kidneys, palm over the muzzle when resetting the slide, even sweeping the room with the hammer back on a loaded chamber are all things I've seen otherwise smart people do. I've seen them do those AFTER spending an hour teaching them.

I'm all for training, even making it required (because some absolutely need it), but I'm against it solely because it will be used as a tool for the hippies in Annapolis to limit ownership.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You are statistically 6x more likely to get accidentally injured with a lawn mower than a gun. I never hear from the media about those negligent blade discharges.

The reality is that the overwhelming (97%) of fatalities and injuries involving firearms are intentional - i.e. the firearm was used as directed. Intent means the person knew how to load the gun, point the gun, and pull the trigger to injure or kill the target (themselves, or others).

These are not things more training solves.

The idea that adults pick up dangerous machinery without some instruction is a myth brought to you by nanny state government bureaucrats and the media. If "training" were about safety, where is the LQL (Lawn mower Qualification License) for peets sake?

Failure to get an HQL is merely conceding the argument to Frosh and the left. No more guns for you, is the idea of the HQL.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Very compelling arguments on both sides of the coin here and very enlightening as well but my last sentiment is this. Unless I am specifically breaking a law by not being in possession of an HQL they can stick it up they're own backside. Laws based solely on emotion in respect to the 2a or any other enumerated right rarely if at all meet constitutional muster. Thats it, bottom line. Call me old fashioned stupid ignorant uninformed or whatever. As far as training for safety I'm all for it but the reality is that good decision making and discipline comes from any early age and usually from inside the home. By you guessed it, the parent or role model. Safely handling a weapon is not rocket science and should generally be a skill that is mastered over a period of time through research and then by demonstrating the ability to gain proficiency with repetitive use and practice. If someone reaches out for help great but I am not for relegating an individual right to someone else. Getting on board with qual checks only furthers collectivism, in other words the groups ability to determine whether someone can participate or not. Submission to HQL substantially reduces the possibility of implied rights by doing away with all that entirely. Why propagate it?

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Hey folks. Can anyone dissuade my problems with the HQL and convince me to get one? A friend is selling a couple older pistols that I would absolutely LOVE to buy. Problem obviously, I don't have an HQL. Regarding guns I've always followed every letter of the law and don't plan to change that now, but I'm really sketchy on the damn registration process. I've had an instance where MSP threatened to arrest me and confiscate firearms, so I'm totally against registration.

I was threatened with arrest by MSP over a decade ago after getting denied for a pistol purchase (was a Ruger Mark II if i remember right). I called up MSP to ask why, and the officer says it was related to an arrest when I was 15 years old (I was young and stupid, got caught smoking weed with the cool older kids). Anyhow, that was enough to label me a Juvenile Delinquent, thus I get denied until I hit 30. I was about 28 years old at the time I was denied. He then recited the make, model and serial numbers of the other three guns I purchased AND PASSED WITH MSP APPROVAL. He tells me that I am going to have to surrender them or face confiscation and arrest, despite the fact that I was previously cleared on 3 occasions with MSP. I called a lawyer and took his advice... I broke lease, moved to VA where that law didn't apply, sold the evil Maryland-tainted guns, then started fresh.

I bought what I wanted while I lived in VA, but several years later in 2012 I had to move back to MD. Everything I have is totally kosher (no arrests of course, even have security clearance), but I won't buy anything in MD because of that stupid experience with the MSP. I'd love to pick up a couple new pieces, but don't trust MSP as far as I can throw them after that. Am I being petty and get my HQL, or should I leave well enough alone?

Your feelings are correct, proven by their ability to list all of your firearms and the threat to take them. Maybe pass on the HQL, I did.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I took into consideration, the increase in value of handguns that I would normally added to my collection vs. the cost of the HQL. I certainly didn't agree with the whole HQL thing but, the financial loss was just too much. Couple that with the wife flatly refusing to move and divorce not being an option, I finally went HQL. I miss America!

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    By not getting your HQL, you have let "THEM" win. The idea is to make it difficult for people to get their HQL, thus denying you the right to purchase a handgun. I too didn't get my HQL at first, but then I thought it would be stupid of me to not buy because "THEY" want to make it more difficult to buy that firearm.

The HQL doesn't change anything in respect to the purchase/registration of a handgun. Same paperwork was/is required before/after the bill became law.

The trampling of people's rights is only temporary. These schemes will soon be overturned by hook or by crook.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    As a former industry insider i'll give you one more reason to get one. Technically....if you are in MD....and are driving to a range or wherever with ANY firearms....even rifles....if you are stopped by a cop who wants to give you a hard time (and you don't have a HQL or a CCW permit)...he can confiscate all of your weapons and then put you through the ringer of proving they were all purchased legally. Yes...handguns are the focus, but 2 law enforcment officer friends and one friend who is a class 3 dealer said it was a good thing i had the HQL and it serves as an endorsement that you are a law abiding firearm owner. It's worth it to have in any case in my opinion.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    As a former industry insider i'll give you one more reason to get one. Technically....if you are in MD....and are driving to a range or wherever with ANY firearms....even rifles....if you are stopped by a cop who wants to give you a hard time (and you don't have a HQL or a CCW permit)...he can confiscate all of your weapons and then put you through the ringer of proving they were all purchased legally. Yes...handguns are the focus, but 2 law enforcment officer friends and one friend who is a class 3 dealer said it was a good thing i had the HQL and it serves as an endorsement that you are a law abiding firearm owner. It's worth it to have in any case in my opinion.

Sorry but I got to raise the bull s-- t flag on this one. Talk about a scare tactic. You're basically saying without a HQL card in your pocket your guns are subject to seizure. Wher on earth did you receive this info from?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Except the law does not require you to have one to possess a handgun, just to purchase one. Also the HQL does not impact rifles, because the HQL is a Handgun Qualification License, not a firearm qualification license.

I'm sorry, but you were lied to by those people.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    Except the law does not require you to have one to possess a handgun, just to purchase one. Also the HQL does not impact rifles, because the HQL is a Handgun Qualification License, not a firearm qualification license.

I'm sorry, but you were lied to by those people.
    An officer can confiscate a weapon at will...if you read what i actually wrote youd see the HQL is just an extra reason to allow you to go on your way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Sorry to burst your bubble but that HQL card is absolutely worthless in the scenario you described. If they want to take them they will. No little card is going to sway them one way or another.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    An officer can confiscate a weapon at will...if you read what i actually wrote youd see the HQL is just an extra reason to allow you to go on your way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No they can't. First they must have probable cause to search the vehicle, then you have to be in possession of a stolen firearm. If they confiscate firearms at will, they are in violation of the 4th Amendment. If you legally own the firearm(s), the LEO can't do anything to you or the firearms.

Look up the relevant statues in COMAR. 4-203 comes to mind to get your adventure started.

Thanks for playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom