Convicted of felony how to transfer firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    The state says that you as an adult are responsible for the safe storage of firearms where it comes to child safety whereas the courts decide what access a prohibited adult has. Your two year old is not a "prohibited person'. So yes, I'm sure.

BS! If anything the prohibited adult may have fewer limits on their access than a prohibited minor.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'll see your B/S and raise you a B/S. if you decide your 12 year old is mature enough to hunt groundhogs or target shoot on his own, there's no Prohibition. If you decide to loan your shotgun to a convicted felon, I'm sure you can figure how that will work out if he's caught. Let's not lump kids in with felons for chit sake.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'll see your B/S and raise you a B/S. if you decide your 12 year old is mature enough to hunt groundhogs or target shoot on his own, there's no Prohibition. If you decide to loan your shotgun to a convicted felon, I'm sure you can figure how that will work out if he's caught. Let's not lump kids in with felons for chit sake.

You know little of which you speak.

Besides, this thread has become basically about access to a firearm within a home not loaning firearms or hunting.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    You are wrong. The wife was never convicted of a crime and cannot legally be punished for it.

This. She is allowed to possess a firearm in the same house a felon lives in. He is not allowed access to it. If she allows access to it she has then committed a felony. Put it in a safe where she only has the combo.

Also keep in mind that the felon may possess a muzzleloader as long as the muzzleloader is legal in the state that it is possessed.

Don't forget to consult a 2A lawyer for a written opinion and place it in a safety deposit box.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    let me rephrase he has not yet been convicted but took a plea deal. His hearing isn't until Late January so he wants to get it out of his name before the law comes. to either sell or transfer to a relative/wife

You stated that he was convicted and is currently serving his time for it.
    So why the story change?

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    For this instance it doesn't matter whether or not he has yet or will be convicted. And she could but I was wondering how easy it would be and if could be done with out getting caught up in the machine that is CJS

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Minors are not"prohibited persons". What did they do to be deemed prohibited? By their age, they need supervised access from an adult. That's it.
    If a 10 year old was"prohibited" in this legal sense, then when they turned 18 they wouldn't be able to buy anything. Nobody is born prohibited, then granted UN prohibited status at 18 until they commit a felony, then get prohibited again.
    Nobody is saying that someone's "exceptional, swat trained" 10 year old cannot handle a gun.
    But they had to put an age of access/responsibility somewhere/somehow.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For this instance it doesn't matter whether or not he has yet or will be convicted. And she could but I was wondering how easy it would be and if could be done with out getting caught up in the machine that is CJS

Just have to understand that there is a ton of varied experience, intelligence and overall sharpness of a lot of people here and to say one thing pretty confidently then change it later just piques curiosity.

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    Understood. But I'm just gonna tell em to contact thier lawyer about it.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    This. She is allowed to possess a firearm in the same house a felon lives in. He is not allowed access to it. If she allows access to it she has then committed a felony. Put it in a safe where she only has the combo.

Also keep in mind that the felon may possess a muzzleloader as long as the muzzleloader is legal in the state that it is possessed.

Don't forget to consult a 2A lawyer for a written opinion and place it in a safety deposit box.

This
    I've seen first hand the msp told a friend of mine and his wife the same thing,and because I have a friend who is prohibited doesnt make me a questionable person,many of us have contact with a prohibited person many just don't know it.there was also a case involving a doctor from Texas that went to SCOTUS over this matter,look at G.Gordon liddy,Mrs. Liddy has one of the finest luger collections he has ever seen.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Minors are not"prohibited persons". What did they do to be deemed prohibited? By their age, they need supervised access from an adult. That's it.
    If a 10 year old was"prohibited" in this legal sense, then when they turned 18 they wouldn't be able to buy anything. Nobody is born prohibited, then granted UN prohibited status at 18 until they commit a felony, then get prohibited again.
    Nobody is saying that someone's "exceptional, swat trained" 10 year old cannot handle a gun.
    But they had to put an age of access/responsibility somewhere/somehow.

Minors, and prohibited adults, have the status of not being able to have unrestricted access to a firearm without an un-prohibited adult present.

ducduk

Apr 28, 2013
    stupid is as stupid does like i told my son see all those times i told him to be good and stay out of trouble has payed off when he got his guns { not disapproved } thanks to our fearful leader the gov you need to do things the right way this gangsta mentality is a bad way to look at life whatever happened to the golden rule doesn t anyone teach their kids that you can make it in life without doing bad a felony is bad no guns for you period

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    stupid is as stupid does like i told my son see all those times i told him to be good and stay out of trouble has payed off when he got his guns { not disapproved } thanks to our fearful leader the gov you need to do things the right way this gangsta mentality is a bad way to look at life whatever happened to the golden rule doesn t anyone teach their kids that you can make it in life without doing bad a felony is bad no guns for you period

That gave me a headache.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    Minors, and prohibited adults, have the status of not being able to have unrestricted access to a firearm without an un-prohibited adult present.

That's not true. Felons are prohibited from possessing firearms, children are not.
    Your child can use your gun if you choose to allow them to, a felon may not.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

I honestly can't imagine a situation where she could make sure that he would NEVER have access to the gun(s).
    I'm an unforgiving stick in the mud. I don't think felons should have access to guns. Their piss poor judgement makes them a liability and probably a danger to others.
    I've known people (friends and family) who were convicted and sentenced and I don't want them to have guns either.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    That's not true. Felons are prohibited from possessing firearms, children are not.
    Your child can use your gun if you choose to allow them to, a felon may not.

You are confusing possessing with using. And yes children are prohibited from possessing firearms too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom