• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Since no one wants to buy my Zoli skeet gun for anywhere near what I have in it, I am thinking about tubing it. I have been looking for a 20 gauge and since this is a 26" barrel gun it seems it may make an ideal 20g. I am considering Briley, in either Companion or fitted tubes (both full length). Not sure I can get Companions, and if I go fitted, they couldn't be sold separately from the gun.
    This would then give me a 20 gauge with screw in chokes versus a fixed choke (skt/skt) 12g.
    My only concern is putting $560 into an older gun even though it works perfect at this time.

Any words of wisdom from the Skeet/Trap O/U community.

ps: Yeah I know I can get some kind of 20g for around $500, but if I buy a 20g I want at least a B O/U which ain't $500.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    sumtoy custom chokes makes chokes for zoli sporting clay team. his prices are about $65 shipped. william 912-237-4360.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Well, you've seen my thread on the Briley 28 gauge tubes I got for my gun. And while, at this point, I don't like the price of the shells I LOVE shooting 28 gauge. (A MEC 9000 is my next purchase).

20 gauge doesn't do a lot for me, but your Zoli in 28 gauge would be a blast! Just something to consider.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Well, you've seen my thread on the Briley 28 gauge tubes I got for my gun. And while, at this point, I don't like the price of the shells I LOVE shooting 28 gauge. (A MEC 9000 is my next purchase).

20 gauge doesn't do a lot for me, but your Zoli in 28 gauge would be a blast! Just something to consider.

Why do you like 28ga so much? I am assuming skeet only as it would be a little ineffective for trap. Is it the lack of recoil?

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Why do you like 28ga so much? I am assuming skeet only as it would be a little ineffective for trap. Is it the lack of recoil?

Recoil is pretty much why I like it. There really isn't much at all. Plus 28 will let me shoot in 2 gauges at shoots - 20 & 28 gauge.

So why couldn't you shoot trap with 28 gauge? Other than fewer pellets you get the same shot sizes and same velocity as 12 gauge. You just gotta be on the target.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Recoil is pretty much why I like it. There really isn't much at all. Plus 28 will let me shoot in 2 gauges at shoots - 20 & 28 gauge.

So why couldn't you shoot trap with 28 gauge? Other than fewer pellets you get the same shot sizes and same velocity as 12 gauge. You just gotta be on the target.

I think all league shoots are 12 gauge. Guess you could shoot with a 28ga, but you would be at a terrrible disadvantage. There are people who for kicks bring a sub gauge to the trap field, or for kids learning where recoil is an issue, but I have never seen anyone use anything but 12 at serious shoots. I know a 10ga is illegal for ATA shoots but I don't know for sure that you can't use sub gauges.
    Remember not all trap is shot from the 16 yd line. How would a 28ga do at say, the 24 yd handicap line? Back there most shoot 1-1/8 oz with full choke.

ps: I guess I am lucky as recoil doesn't faze me at all. Even after shooting 200 shells an afternoon. The way my gun is fit, I get no cheek slap and perceived recoil is minimal. I shoot 1-1/8 oz 1250fps #8 for everything. I get more perceived recall from my Zoli than I get from my BT-99 trap gun or my Beretta.

Let me ask over at trapshooters.com and I 'll tell you what I find out about sub ga for trap.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Shooting Trap with a 28 ga is fun, have managed a 24,one of these days will run them. Where the 28 really shines is on the sporting range or upland hunting.
    I have a lot of fun with my Ithaca 28 ga pump on the sporting clays range and when I'm on I notice no real difference in the breaks over the 12 ga. Even managed to break that high teal at Pg the other day with it.
    I'm saving up to get a 20/28 Guerini Summit combo set with 32" barrels, should be a lot of fun.
    The only real negative is 28 ammo is expensive,on-line about 9 bucks a box however I'm reloading AA hulls for around 3.50 a box, quite a savings.
    DSCN0445.jpg

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    From one of the guys at trapshooters:

Rule XIII, G, 1, first sentence:

"A contestant cannot use:

1. A gun with a chamber larger than 12 gauge. Guns of smaller gauges are permissible in registered and tournament shooting, but no competitive consideration shall be given in recognition of that fact for handicap and classification purposes. "

At the Grand American, you can only use 12 or 20 gauge.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Well, tubes are out now as I found a sweet litle 20Ga. Beretta Slver Pigeon in excellent shape.Guy at the range had it and wanted to sell, and it found it's way home in the trunk of my car. Pictures later.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I think all league shoots are 12 gauge. Guess you could shoot with a 28ga, but you would be at a terrrible disadvantage. There are people who for kicks bring a sub gauge to the trap field, or for kids learning where recoil is an issue, but I have never seen anyone use anything but 12 at serious shoots. I know a 10ga is illegal for ATA shoots but I don't know for sure that you can't use sub gauges.
    Remember not all trap is shot from the 16 yd line. How would a 28ga do at say, the 24 yd handicap line? Back there most shoot 1-1/8 oz with full choke.

ps: I guess I am lucky as recoil doesn't faze me at all. Even after shooting 200 shells an afternoon. The way my gun is fit, I get no cheek slap and perceived recoil is minimal. I shoot 1-1/8 oz 1250fps #8 for everything. I get more perceived recall from my Zoli than I get from my BT-99 trap gun or my Beretta.

Let me ask over at trapshooters.com and I 'll tell you what I find out about sub ga for trap.

I'm not saying you should use 28 gauge at a trap shoot, but for practice it would be lots of fun!

I am discovering its a great gauge for skeet and when I get my reloader I'll probably shoot it most of the time. Some of my friends shoot it almost exclusively. And I agree with Augie- shooting sporting clays with it would be great fun.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Shooting Trap with a 28 ga is fun, have managed a 24,one of these days will run them. Where the 28 really shines is on the sporting range or upland hunting.
    I have a lot of fun with my Ithaca 28 ga pump on the sporting clays range and when I'm on I notice no real difference in the breaks over the 12 ga. Even managed to break that high teal at Pg the other day with it.
    I'm saving up to get a 20/28 Guerini Summit combo set with 32" barrels, should be a lot of fun.
    The only real negative is 28 ammo is expensive,on-line about 9 bucks a box however I'm reloading AA hulls for around 3.50 a box, quite a savings.
    DSCN0445.jpg

Nice Ithaca pump. Someday I'd love to have a Remington 1100 sporting 28 gauge. It's supposedly the shizzle.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    The New Baby

The New Baby
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20 gauge w 28" barrels. (Not marked I or III as it was made before the two models). Has better wood than my SP1, but not as nice as some SPIIIs I've seen. Pristine Condition.

I was looking for a 20ga and Providence smiled on me. I was running trap on sunday and a guy up at the wobble had this gun. Dan is an MDS member too. As I was ooohing and awwwwing over it he said it's for sale. Prettiest one I have seen, and has 28" vs the typical 26" barrels. We chatted, a check left my pocket and the gun went into the car. It was just meant to happen.

Attachments

• SP20-1.jpg
      SP20-1.jpg
      67.5 KB · Views: 90
    • SP20-3.jpg
      SP20-3.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 83
    • SP20-2.jpg
      SP20-2.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts