Considering moving to Maryland, trying to get the lay of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    I saw someone refer to Fredrick as “The Portland Oregon equivalent in Maryland”

I didn’t agree with this until I had a disturbing interaction in the Sheetz on MD 85 near CostCo last evening.

Needless to say I won’t be going back there any time soon and the poster is correct.

Frederick, MD has become the east coast’s Portland, OR.

At this pace, it won’t be far behind “west bloodymore”…

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    As everyone has already told you: DON'T! You'll be sorry after you find out what the democrats do to destroy this state. Stay where you are or move to W VA.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    (Castle Doctrine)
    Not enshrined in state statute, common law understanding.

To add (rather than correct):

While not spelled out in law, this has been litigated to MDs highest court, which found that inside ones home, one is under no duty to retreat.

And while there is no spelled out castle doctrine in criminal law, there is a statute that provides immunity from civil liability while defending ones castle.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    You would be better served in Loudoun County or heading north to Adams County, PA if you wanted an alternative to Jefferson County, WVA

Anything is better than our little "California on the Chesapeake"

Like the Eastern Shore and Lower Slower Delaware, Western MD needs to secede from the Democratic Mob Bosses as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To get a Wear & Carry in Maryland as retired Military you still have to have the training. Training is only waved for Militarry Retireee on the HQL because you are not required to have an HQL as retired military. But you MUST get the training for the W&C

No .
    DD 214 exempts you from the Training for W&C .

You're thinking of the HQL. Active Duty , or Full Retirement exempts you from HQL entirely . Prior Service exempts from Training ,but still need the HQL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seriously , you're potentially looking at doing it backwards . Between the two states , plenty of us would rather be in Virginia .( Albeit its slippery enough , that a final move would be farther to more solid ground.) .

You're 30 years late for moving to Fredrick . See already about Jefferson WV and Adams Pa , adjacent . Or Winchester Va .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No .
    DD 214 exempts you from the Training for W&C .

You're thinking of the HQL. Active Duty , or Full Retirement exempts you from HQL entirely . Prior Service exempts from Training ,but still need the HQL.
    Adding and clarifying DD214 with Honorable Discharge exempts you from W&C Training requirement

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Nope...nope...nopity nope--- Sit down, turn on the Pandora/Spotify etc. and listen to John Denver sing "Country Roads"...

ETA: Unless of course you'd like to buy my home located just a few miles west of Frederick, it will be on the market in a few short months-- I'd consider giving you the friends and family price---:deal: (if you join MSI first of course)

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I lived in Frederick County from 1988-2020. I would not move back unless I had to. Help us understand your motivation to move there.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    To add (rather than correct):

While not spelled out in law, this has been litigated to MDs highest court, which found that inside ones home, one is under no duty to retreat.

And while there is no spelled out castle doctrine in criminal law, there is a statute that provides immunity from civil liability while defending ones castle.
    Yep, Thanks for the assist.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I didn’t agree with this until I had a disturbing interaction in the Sheetz on MD 85 near CostCo last evening.

Needless to say I won’t be going back there any time soon and the poster is correct.

Frederick, MD has become the east coast’s Portland, OR.

At this pace, it won’t be far behind “west bloodymore”…

What happened, pray tell?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Reasons to live in MD:

- a court order
    - inheriting a snazzy property with some kind of restriction that doesn't allow you to sell it
    - you have been convicted to prison by a Maryland court

For anything else, you can commute.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    What happened, pray tell?

As we arrived at Sheetz we observed an individual walking a dog in the direction of the store.

For the record, this was not a service animal.

By the time we had parked and I had gone inside, the individual had the animal in the store and he and the dog were blocking the entire isle.

I slowed my approach and the animal moved enough to allow me to pass and I did so.

As I was behind it, it took half a step back and my shin brushed the hind quarters of the dog.

That said, the dog did not even look at me or react in anyway I could discern.

Just as I was about to retrieve my item, the owner who was apparently immediately agitated, with statements such as “why you knee my dog cracker?! He did nothing to you” followed by “I oughta break your crown right here!”.

At this point I simply turned to depart the store to deescalate and was bid “yeah you run whitey! You got nothin to say”

we simply left that Sheetz and went to another.

For all the time I have lived on this planet, I have never had someone be so confrontational let alone behave as if I was in Baltimore.

Yep, life is too short and the time to depart The Free State draws nigh…

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Why Frederick specifically? Do you need to be close to work or family?
    If the OP desires Frederick, he should be looking to PA or VA; WV will be too painful until US 340 re opens along the Potomac…

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    @Boba I'll be the unpopular opinion:

Move here because we need more liberty-minded people. We'll be stronger with you...but it will be a hassle and a sacrifice.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    That's an alarming story. You did well deescalating getting away.

Like I said, I expect that closer to DC or Baltimore, but this far west, unexpected.

The animal was incredibly well mannered and trained. I just could not wrap my head around the owner’s reaction and statements…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom