• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I opened a thread in the Central MD board, but realized I probably should have posted it here:

Hey all, could someone school me on fishing at Conowingo dam this time of year? Hoping to go up there tomorrow. All I know is that I need the Tidal license for S of the dam, and the parking lot is the last exit off Rt 1 before the dam. I've fished for fun growing up and on boating trips, but aside from the basics, consider me a novice. I have my own rods (haven't used in probably 10+ years) and will pick up whatever else I need this afternoon. Even better if anyone experienced wants to meet up!

-Dave

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    All I can add is if you are below the dam and sirens go off, GTFO. And quick.
    Other than that, it has been years since I have been there. Always had good luck with catfish using dough balls.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    The sirens aren't a big deal. You get 5 min to move if you so choose. Generation schedule is posted at http://www.fishzoo.net/index.php/conowingo-dam-generation-schedule-flow-rate, but i'd still call 1 888 457 4076 to make sure there weren't changes. If they're running several of the large turbines than standing room is at a premium.

What are you fishing for?

STRIPERS:
    This time of year I go in a pair of shorts and crocs. You will have to wade out about waist deep or you won't be able to cast (gets crowded, and you're not going to cast over heads). I typically bring a 10' surf rod with 30lb yellow braid, and rig up with an inline trolling sinker (1.5-3oz), about 20" of mono leader, and either a striper fly or 4" swim bait. Typically you cast right to the face of the dam where the turbines discharge, and reel rather briskly as it drifts downstream (if you get in the rocks you're usually f'd, but you need the weight to get out there). I would recommend standing on shore and watching the casting order for a couple minutes......furthest away from the face casts first and so on to the closest so lines don't get tangled. There is a fence line (well, only posts remaining) about 75' off the face...can't get closer than that.

FLATHEADS:
    If you are targeting catfish, 90% will be flatheads. They take livers, cut bait, etc. For some reason they also like pink flies and swim baits. If you are fishing stationary, do so back by the concrete walkway so you're not constantly getting tangled by the striper guys. If you're not going to keep them (I don't), don't let them go. Give them to one of the other locals....they will be more than happy to take them in most cases. We don't want them in the river anyway. Be prepared to lose a lot of rigs if you're static.

CARP:
    Doughballs. There are plenty of big ones in there if thats your thing.

WALLEYE:
    They are in there, and I've pulled quite a few out over the years. More of a fall thing though. Take 3-4" grubs on jig heads and swim them over the rocks.

SHAD:
    Still a lot there. Darts or small grubs. Catch and release only.

Make sure you have you're license on you....DNR is there quite often.

I will be there Sunday if you want to meet someone you kinda sorta almost but don't quite know (better than nothing, although most of the regulars are pretty sociable).

EDIT: Last turn on right before the dam if coming from the Hartford side. Go down about a half mile and make a left at the little tackle shop (if you stop there its cash only, if its open - he likes fishing too).

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    You make it there?

I went today and got this fatty:

photo-5.jpg

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Yeah i went on Saturday. Fished from 930 to 5. Between my gf and i, we probably caught a dozen rocks. Unfortunately, not the fish kind lol. Banged my shin up as well. Still, enjoyed the day. Next time, it's blatantly clear that i need to go with someone that knows what they're doing! Tried to get in line casting toward the dam, but didn't have enough weight and would end up screwing other people up, so i stopped. Got the correct weights in the afternoon and that helped.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    If you use chest wader's, make sure you use a wader belt with a knife attached to your wader belt; so you can cut yourself free of the wader; in case you are taken away by the current. On very low power generation --- if you wade out far enough --- there's a very steep channel drop off.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    I agree with the other posters. Here is my two cents.

Stripers/Rockfish: 10ft rod with braided line a must for stripers. Inline sinker and a swim bait works well. I have caught them stationary fishing with blood worms and clam.
    Catfish (Channel) 15lb mono on a 6ft rod and a number 4/0 hook or a 5/0 hook. use an ounce or two to hold bottom or use no weight and let it drift. Use stinky baits - Chicken livers, hotdogs, cutbait, bloodworms and soap (Zotes soap) work well.
    Flathead Catfish: Use the same techniques as you would for stripers/rockfish or use channel catfish set up and instead of stinky baits use live Bluegill or Breams or fathead minnows... the bigger minnow the better. In my experience, they don't take to stink bait well but will hit nightcrawlers.
    Carp: Use dough balls (mix corn flakes or shredded wheat, red jello, flour and water to make the dough. mix till sticky yet firm and remove stickiness by rolling in cereal) in a old panty hose. This bait will also catch channel catfish. fish stationary or let it float. They have some HUGE carp there. I target them sometimes as they and their roe are quite tasty when prepared by a person who knows how to cook them.

I've caught all of the above at the dam. I never caught any walleye, crappie, yellow perch there but I have seen guys catch them with minnows and small tubes near the pier area. White perch are there. I have caught them on wet and dry flies while fishing for the shad.

Water flow: IMO, Stripers and Flatheads bite better at the damn when there are about 4 small gates open or better. The channel cats and carp bite better with less than 4 gates open. I do not fish when there are a lot of gates open as the water is too fast for me.

Magic Bait: All of the above fish have been caught on good ol nightcrawlers so when in doubt, whip them out.
    Warning: The place is full of rocks so you will lose a lot of sinkers and hooks. When wading avoid stepping on green rocks. They are covered with algae are slippery. I ruined a good smart phone by falling into the drink. I now leave my phone on the shore away from the water and not in my pocket.

Tight lines.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    When wading shoulder to shoulder with other waders, eye protection helps protect you from flying shad darts. One guy had his tooth knocked out by a flying shad dart.

When someone nearby yells "fish on"...reel up your bait if you think the hooked fish is going to tangle with your own line. Don't battle the fish to the point of exhaustion {if you think you might release it} and don't take up other anglers time, by taking too much time to land the fish.

If the fish is heading in a direction --- control the fish by giving your rod tip a different direction angle --- so the fish will be forced to turn against the direction of the current, or his own direction heading. Do this multiple times while fighting the fish; and you'll bring him in quickly. Pump the rod and let it down while reeling up the slack. Drop the rod tip down when the fish leaps out of the water.

Fish the water current seam lines. Active fish will be in the main current near the seam line, while the resting fish will be just off the seam line in slower water.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Probably the most important thing with river current fishing with the lure or bait going downstream --- is to match the speed of the current --- so you'll have to keep your rod tip high, so that no slack line rests on the water, which will cause drag and a unnatural look to the fish that is eying your lure.

For live bait bobber fishing...I sometime use a limber 9' long river spinning rod. Keep the bait weighted enough with split shot, so the bait is near the bottom. You'll want to keep the bait ticking the bottom as it heads down stream. You can tell that it is by the bobbing action of the bobber.

For river walleye, you'll have to use a very slow retrieve.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    everything I've found basically says spectra just allows for more line on the spool, but why else is it needed for fishing at the dam? I was never close to using all my line, but then again, I wasn't casting as far with my setup.

looking online, there are more options available than I can wrap my head around! I was thinking about picking up another rod on amazon, so any advice as to reels would be appreciated. This would probably be used primarily for local fishing. doubt I would take it out trolling, but you never know what the future might hold.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    ok, so why the braided line over mono? I just replaced the mono line on both my rods, but may be looking to get a new longer rod anyway.

A. More abrasion resistant
    B. Longer casts (like if they're only running #5, you need all the distance you can muster to get out where the fish are)
    C. More line on the reel (you will lose line out there -> less frequent re-spooling)
    D. More forgiving when twisted and less memory (water there is turbulent....less likely to get wind knots and a massive cluster-f*** at the reel)
    E. Heavier line for diameter = more likely to get rig back when hung in rocks. Can often bend hook out rather than snap off at the sinker.

I typically run 30# yellow power pro.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Found a reel (abu c4 6600), so now i have to pick up a rod this weekend. Options appear limited for a 10' casting rod. I fought an abu vendetta line counter, but noticed that it's designed for trolling. Does it really matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom