• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Is it just my imagination or does it seem like on average that used guns you see offered for sale in pawn shops tend to be in far worse condition then used guns offered for sale in regular gun shops. It seems like a high percentage of guns I see offered in pawn shops are corroded or in some other way not well taken care of or neglected. Has anybody else observed this and if so do you have any theories.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    My best guess: the pawn shops pay well below market value for the gun b/c the seller needs cash, so they don't care as much about them being pristine.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Is it just my imagination or does it seem like on average that used guns you see offered for sale in pawn shops tend to be in far worse condition then used guns offered for sale in regular gun shops. It seems like a high percentage of guns I see offered in pawn shops are corroded or in some other way not well taken care of or neglected. Has anybody else observed this and if so do you have any theories.

Let me know if you come across any Savages in short action. Caibre doesn't matter, nor does condition for the most part. :). ok throw long actions in there too.

Last edited:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    A lot of them just need to be cleaned up properly and are in good condition. I've bought pawned guns before and at least the ones I picked were gems.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have bought a couple pawn shop guns, and I think I got a reasonable gun for a good price. Just inspect carefully. After all, the shop itself didn't maintain and operate the firearm. They are kinda just a middleman in the process of someone needing to sell a gun for cash.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    A few years ago a buddy of mine needed cash bad and pawned some of his handguns. :sad20: I was so pissed at him that he didn't come to me first. I would have given him a better deal and he could have bought them back when he was able to. His guns were rarely used and in like new condition. :sad20:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Getting a gun from a pawn shop is like rescuing a dog from the shelter.

188776_10150448200935585_691460584_17796532_7383578_n.jpg

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I have found some gems at pawn shops

When I go to auctions I have this saying

You have to look at a lot of dirt to find that gem!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I know of a hock shop that has a BEAUTIFUL Remington 03A3 that they will soon be offering for sale. I have no doubt they stole it for less than 200 dollars. I offered 400, they want 600 :sad20: if not they'll put it on line. I wonder how far off the mark I am..................

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    A few years ago a buddy of mine needed cash bad and pawned some of his handguns. :sad20: I was so pissed at him that he didn't come to me first. I would have given him a better deal and he could have bought them back when he was able to. His guns were rarely used and in like new condition. :sad20:

had a similar experience...A guy I worked with had a .44 revolver for sale I said I had to wait til the 1st to get my paycheck he wanted $260 for it if I remember correctly. this was around the 28th. I go to his house on the first to buy it and he sold it to another guy I worked with for $200:mad54:!! Then that guy took it to a pawn shop and pawned it for $150:sad20::sad20: and couldnt pay the pawn so he lost the pistol:sad20:

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011

Being in the pawn shop business I'll take a stab at this.

Some pawned guns are like new, some are hardly used, and some are down right beat up. Not everyone cares for their guns the same and some guns are tools not show pieces. Lot's of our customers are hunters. Their guns go out in the woods with them whether rain or shine. My personal Glock 27 looks like shit. It's been in and out of the holster man y many times. But it sure as hell fires every time I pull the trigger.

I could go on and on about used gun condition, but I won't . Well maybe a little more.

A few years ago we bought a bunch of old German Sig police trade ins. On the outside they looked like hell from holster wear, internally they looked great.

I would also say that most of the used guns we carry are in very nice condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom