• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sl2w0

Oct 13, 2008
    Kent County
    I'm signed up for the Utah CCW class in Annapolis, now I have a reason to buy a new gun. I can tell the wife I want a small gun so she can try shooting. What do you guys like for concealed carry? XD subcompact, P232, P239, LCP, revolver?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Deep concealment Glock 26 or S&W 340PD

Daily carry Sig 220, 226 or Sig 2022, but I'm a big guy, I can hide full sized guns easily with the right holster.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I prefer Glock 19....small, concealable, light and 15+1 carry. 2nd Choice is SIG P228, heavier but reliable 13+1 carry. I like IWB holsters do it doesn't buldge.....just have to get use to the comfort.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Do they still make the P228, I noticed it's not on their website anymore.

Actually the do...I thought the same thing until Maui (out SIG enthusiest) showed me they still have them. I figure since the 9mm is preferred round of choice in Europe that its still made in Germany and the P229's are here in the US. I love my P228 I got it as a CPO in Exc Cond!!!

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Stay away from the Sig P232. I always thought it was a neat little gun until I saw how many people carried it off duty for my job and had to come in to requal. If you get 5 rounds off without the gun having a misfeed you're lucky. First time I saw it I thought it was an isolated incident, then they just kept piling up!
    If you're going to go with a Sig for an off-duty, I'd go with the Sig P239 in .357 Sig.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Are the P228 and P229 the same size, I had a P229 years ago and loved it, but it got stolen.

I don't know much about the P229 other than it comes in 9mm and .40. its the same size as the P228, the 13rd 9mm are the same. A guy I work with has it in .40 and he loves it and carries it CCW.

I had a chance to buy the P232 back in Nov for an exc price.....in all honesty I turned it down b/c it was too small and 9mm is hte min cal I would carry.

I always considered the SIG the "Cadillac of Pistols."

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Are the P228 and P229 the same size, I had a P229 years ago and loved it, but it got stolen.

Yes they are the same size. The 229 is just slightly larger and comes in 9mm, .357Sig and .40 S&W. If to change it from .40 to .357 all you need is a new barrel, the magazine works with both the .357 Sig and 40.

The 228 isn't bad but we had problems shooting +P ammo in it and the slides cracking.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    That's actually why we moved away from them. Some of the newer P229's have had problems too. We've had the disassembly levers breaking, the hammers showing bizarre wear marks, and just odd stuff in general. It got to the point where we had Sig's VP come out last month and some of their techs were there for around 2 days replacing all the trigger groups.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    What do you guys like for concealed carry? XD subcompact, P232, P239, LCP, revolver?

CZ 75 compact.... a little bit on the heavy side for lugging around all day but it is possible and the gun itself is rugged enough to withstand a lot.

Jettster

May 18, 2008
    I enjoy my Bersa Thunder in .308. Small, compact and have never had a problem with it at the range. I also have and love the polymer framed Sig SP2009. The Bersa is easily concealable and the Sig is very light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom