• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Why do you say that? Does it have reliability issues?

I know a few people who have the Kimber 1911 and say the quality and reliability are flawless.

The M2 has gotten great reviews but I take those with a grain of salt. There have been a few guns I've tested that got great reviews too and I hated them.

I know a gunsmith who claims that he put one of his kids thru college...with the $$$$ he made fixing Kimbers. I have no reason to doubt him. He's not the type of gunsmith that disparages products lightly.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I know this has been covered but a search hasn't produced anything.

My Utah permit is coming and just in case I'm in one of the states I'm allowed to carry I better get a carry pistol.

I'm looking for a sub-$1000 9mm carry pistol you can wear with a t-shirt and khakis for a 5'9" 160lbs person.

I have tested a bunch but nothing really struck my fancy. I like the Kimber Micro9 and Wilson Combat but really, the prices are out there. Won't do Glock.

What do you recommend?
    T-shirt and khakis? My wife would kill me. LMAO

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It is double action only. However for my personal taste it's just fine. I also own glocks. I personally don't like them because of the way they feel in my hand, as well as the trigger pull. My sig feels smooth and nice. And the sight picture is great. I carry the SRT 229 for my on duty which is single/double. So I get your point. But if you can find a range that has one for you to shoot I'd take the opportunity. You'll like it. Sig did a good job on this one.
    You really ought to sell those pesky Glock's. PM me

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I was carrying my Walther PPS M2 (9mm) in Virginia on Sunday by virtue of my Utah permit. Like the Shield, it's a single stack so wears well inside the waistband (appendix or 4 o'clock) with a generic $35 kydex holster that I have. Because I was wearing a larger shirt over my belt, I instead carried outside the waistband with this Galco holster ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UGBNRA/

The Walther runs around $400, and is steal at that price point IMO. It's got one of the finest triggers that you'll find on this size pistol (you'll find many YouTube product testers comparing it favorably to other single stack 9mm pistols), and one can shoot it quickly and accurately. I've run all sorts of ammo through mine, and it's never had a hiccup. Small guns can sometimes be problematic.

The Kimber Micro 9 is a good looking pistol, but in the semi-compact category, I'd trust my life to a Walther first.

I'll second this, but also suggest the P99c. It has a pull similar to a DA/SA trigger that Walther calls the Anti-Stress trigger. It also has a decocker if I remember correctly.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Carry the 226. It works for Federal Agents, but they have no overwhelming need to conceal.

Which federal agency carries the 226?
    I know of several who carry the 229. And one agency in particular who concealed carry is very important.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well since mr pilot25 owns a P226, presumably shoots it adaquately and generally pleased. AND wishes to follow the school of thought re cominality of operating systems and triggers , then he should absolutely look at P239.

And

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Well since mr pilot25 owns a P226, presumably shoots it adaquately and generally pleased. AND wishes to follow the school of thought re cominality of operating systems and triggers , then he should absolutely look at P239.

And

I like my P239

HawaiiMark

Aug 2, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Why do you say that? Does it have reliability issues?

I know a few people who have the Kimber 1911 and say the quality and reliability are flawless.

The M2 has gotten great reviews but I take those with a grain of salt. There have been a few guns I've tested that got great reviews too and I hated them.

I really wanted a Kimber Micro but from what I have heard, Kimber quality has dropped and I have seen several feed and eject issues online. I just ordered a Sig P938 SAS but unfortunately 2A says that the Sig is so backed up that I probably won't get it until next year. The P938 is a SA micro 1911 with a thumb safety so cocked and locked may be a deal breaker for you. 2A did have several models of the P938 that they could get, but I would rather wait and get exactly what I want.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'll second this, but also suggest the P99c. It has a pull similar to a DA/SA trigger that Walther calls the Anti-Stress trigger. It also has a decocker if I remember correctly.
    The Walther P99C AS was my previous favored carry pistol for reasons you describe. It also has second strike capability, a neat feature for a striker fired gun. I'm the one who got it on the MD Handgun Roster. I also like the new Walther PPS M2 because it's slimmer for IWB and has a similarly excellent trigger.

And
    A P239 SAS had been on my compact single-stack 9mm wish list, and is still something I might get, but after getting the Walther PPS M2, it's kind of scratched that itch. Different manual of arms of course, and your point of the P239 being a more natural carry for a P226 because of the similar manual of arms is a good one. What keeps me from buying one whenever I see one in a store is the weight.
    It's not on their site yet but they are out there for sale. Check Gunbrokers or Google for model description.
    Lol, I like how the OP said that initially he only thought he was buying one handgun when he got his P226. Now I bet he gets a P229 Carry as well as a sub compact for summer carry in casual clothes. Gun buying, when one is none, two is one, and three is just getting started.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom