• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I know this isn't firearm training per se, though the topic of firearms will come up. I'm trying to guage interest in a 5 day class that focuses on comprehensive fundamentals of survival.

The class would be extremely immersive and would deal with a ton of information as well as hands-on work. Subject matter would include:

Search and Rescue Considerations
    Shelters
    Water Procurement/Filtration/Treatment
    Food Procurement (edible wild plants)
    Trapping (snares, deadfalls, etc.)
    Fishing (improvised)
    Signaling
    Communications
    Mechanical adaptation (small engine repair/generators/windmills/pumps)
    Medicinal plants
    Basic security concerns
    Firearm selection, deployment, and troubleshooting/maintenance
    Basic reloading
    Improvised weapons
    Tracking
    Stalking
    Orienteering
    Cooking
    Firestarting
    primitive blacksmithing
    primitive farming
    food
    First Aid/Medical
    Food preservation
    Buckskinning (leather)
    Basic bowyer (bow making)

The class will be held off-grid, lodging will be in a primitive cabin. Dates will be Sunday, March 3 to Friday March 8. I know many of you would like a weekend type arrangement, but the subject matter is such that we will need a 6 day stretch for this one. Depending on how this goes I may be able to get additional weekend classes organized. This is supposed to be a immersive experience and setup/tear-down times really cut into the learning experience in a weekend class. The cost will be $350 and will include food. The reason for this arrangement is that travel time is about 4.5 hours from the Baltimore Metro area and a Sunday arrival will allow members to pack adequately on Saturday and travel Sunday. You are going to need the following weekend to recuperate.

Instructor Bio – Justin (tss1004)
    I began my journey in primitive skills at a young age. When I was nine years old my father purchased a blackpowder rifle just before Christmas. He had taken to that rifle quite readily and was quickly enamored with the trappings of buckskinning. We soon began attending rendezvous in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. By 10, we were both hooked. We spent countless hours researching everything that had to do with the bygone era of the fur trade. The brave mountain men that ventured into the unknown, seeking fortune in the most basic and renewable resource available, embodied an independence that I yearned for. We began to take weekend workshops together and we sought advice and instruction from professionals and accomplished amateurs alike.

My interest in the fur trade always took a slight back seat to Native American teachings. As cool as the blackpowder guns were, and guns in general, I was always drawn to the beautiful handmade recurves, longbows, and flatbows of the American Indian. Their customs, traditions, and most importantly their respectful utilization of natural resources drew me in. I was even more hooked.
    I read books by the likes of Brown and McPhereson. Perused every foxfire book until it was dog eared and battered. I took to the woods every day after school and would spend weekends practicing my craft. I was fortunate to have a mentor in both my father and my cousin, who was an accomplished naturalist working at a Baltimore area nature center. Through my cousin I was introduced to other professional naturalists and survivalists and quickly developed a network of support and instruction. I began volunteering at a nature center, which I continued through high school. As a high school senior I was asked to instruct some primitive skills camps, I signed on as a compensated instructor in various fields, this included week long primitive skills camps.

While working my way through volunteer positions and internships, I continued to hone my skills. I would spend weeks and occasionally months living off the land in (then) rural Carrol County on my uncles farm as well as a friends farm in Pennsylvania and occasionally several weeks on the AT, residing in shelters I had built and eating food I foraged or killed. I continued to instruct and eventually had a group of interested friends who became enthusiastic about survivalist teachings and together we continued to develop our skills.

My father unfortunately died shortly after I graduated high school and my view on survivalism became very personal. I was a young adult with a good job in a time of perceived prosperity. Most of my old survivalist buddies were caught up in normal young adult life and had little interest in traipsing around the woods in moccasins any longer and I was left on my own. This coupled with the loss of my survivalist buddy (Dad) was terribly painful for me and I had a hard time talking about any of it, or including anyone new so I just continued solo.

My interest and practice of survival skills never waivered. In fact, it’s the very reason why I bought my property in WV, the same one I will share with some of you. Until recently, this idea never even crossed my mind, the one to formally teach others. But I have some good friends now that had little experience in these types of things and over the last couple of years I’ve done quite a bit of instructing with them and unanimously they came up with the idea that I should offer a class. I was reluctant at first. I was concerned that I wouldn’t have enough credibility, or hadn’t attended the right classes myself. The sentiment amongst them remained unwavering, they thought that I possessed the knowledge and teaching ability to do this and they had the utmost faith that I could succeed in helping others learn these skills.

Still unsure, I spoke with my boss. He and I have become friends in the three years I’ve worked for him as a Critical Care Paramedic and I trust his objectivity. When I presented the idea, he was nearly speechless that I had any reservation about the endeavor. He pointed out how I had done this very instruction, albeit in smaller compartmentalized doses, hundreds of times in the three years he’s known me. I had become somewhat a mentor in things survival with many of my co-workers, and even himself, and that it was a natural progression for me.

Well, needless to say, I thought about it some more. Slept on it for a few nights, then a few weeks, and never once did I think I was unprepared or that this was a bad idea. I finally presented it to the final arbiter, my mother, who is probably the most critical person I know, and she agreed with what everyone else had affirmed.

So, I’ve given a brief synopsis of my life. A life steeped in every detail of survivalism and self reliance. I bring forth 20 years of learning and experience with the humbleness that I still do not know everything. I’m patient and understanding in my teaching style and have a knack for making pieces fit, especially with those that have a hard time grappling complex concepts in emergency medicine (my chosen career path) and teaching principles that I apply to simpler concepts in survivalism.

So in forming the final stages of my plan I had originally wanted to go big. Give away a bunch of survival gear and pull out all the stops with presentation. This has proved challenging in that the cost was too burdensome and I’ve modified the original plan to keep cost down in an effort to encourage more participation, but I’ve also kept with the original spirit of the class in order to make it extremely dynamic to reinforce the basic tenets of survival, while maximizing the students ability to put into practice a ton of information.

I will have a support staff, though that list is still in the works. I can tentatively say that I’m trying to work with my cousin and mentor, the one who is the naturalist and helped foster my early growth in survivalism. He has become quite accomplished over the years as both a naturalist and an illustrator for NatGeo and his expertise will be invaluable. The only issue is that his health is failing. He was diagnosed with MS a few years ago and I need to be careful how his expertise is utilized.

My other tentative support staff includes one of the survivalist friends mentioned in an earlier paragraph. His name is Chris and he is an expert with anything mechanical and is a genius with adaptive methods to accomplish any mechanical task. In addition to his survivalism skills and mechanical skills he is a farmer and his knowledge of agriculture and livestock is invaluable.

Bill is the final current tentative member of the support staff. He is a retired Marine Colonel who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He is also a staunch survivalist with a keen eye for planning and security measures. He is a firearms instructor and remarkable with woodcraft.

Last edited:

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    The class cost will include food and lodging (which will be in a primitive cabin with the option to use your own tent if you want to try your gear out). Class cost would be sub $1k. It would be held in WV. If there is enough interest I would like to have a trial run in November and offer it half price (so $500 or less for the trial run class).

If this pans out okay I would like to start in the spring with a regular schedule. I have to get all of my instructors lined up first though

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    What content would you like to see in addition to what's listed above? What would you dispense with? What do you think is a fair price for this type of training (bear in mind this will affect the quantity and quality of the experience as well as types and numbers of instructors)? My thoughts were to include a survival type package of goodies too, but that can be done away with to save money. Anyway, suggestions are appreciated

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    @ tss1004.. Great idea, and kudos for coming forward with a great idea. I think your class content is good. i have one suggestion, though. I would do your trial class as a 3 day weekend event just to get some feedback and suggestions from your class members. Then, I would plan a few of the week-long classes very well in advance(at least in months) so that folks can plan vacation time around their work schedule. You might also include Sat or Sundays into your class time so that folks that want to sign up only need to use 3 days of vacation as opposed to 5 for a mon-fri class...I think these ideas will get you more attendees.
    As for the class itself, consider asking other "experts" in the field to co-host the class with you. Someone like member Mercop might be interested in helping out with a class like this. He teaches a lot of this stuff and already has a following, meaning more potential class attendees.
    I've been doing a lot of advertising for my novel among a lot of prepper sites and have some contacts that might also get you some folks from the area as well as out-of-state when you get rolling..
    Good Luck!!

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    @ tss1004.. Great idea, and kudos for coming forward with a great idea. I think your class content is good. i have one suggestion, though. I would do your trial class as a 3 day weekend event just to get some feedback and suggestions from your class members. Then, I would plan a few of the week-long classes very well in advance(at least in months) so that folks can plan vacation time around their work schedule. You might also include Sat or Sundays into your class time so that folks that want to sign up only need to use 3 days of vacation as opposed to 5 for a mon-fri class...I think these ideas will get you more attendees.
    As for the class itself, consider asking other "experts" in the field to co-host the class with you. Someone like member Mercop might be interested in helping out with a class like this. He teaches a lot of this stuff and already has a following, meaning more potential class attendees.
    I've been doing a lot of advertising for my novel among a lot of prepper sites and have some contacts that might also get you some folks from the area as well as out-of-state when you get rolling..
    Good Luck!!

I thought mercop does combatives. I didn't realize he does wilderness survival/primitive skills type stuff.

This will have very minimal security/defensive consideration content. My intent was to direct folks desiring that type of training to Mercop and the other IP's who have much more experience in that realm.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    Sounds like a great class, something I have been considering looking for, but I'm never going to be able to spend $1000 on a week of training. $500 would be tough to do but closer to the realm of possibility. What about doing 5 day class during the week and Saturdays holding a cheaper one day class on a subset of topics?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    The class will be held off-grid, lodging will be in a primitive cabin. Dates will be Sunday, March 3 to Friday March 8. I know many of you would like a weekend type arrangement, but the subject matter is such that we will need a 6 day stretch for this one. Depending on how this goes I may be able to get additional weekend classes organized. This is supposed to be a immersive experience and setup/tear-down times really cut into the learning experience in a weekend class. The cost will be $350 and will include food. The reason for this arrangement is that travel time is about 4.5 hours from the Baltimore Metro area and a Sunday arrival will allow members to pack adequately on Saturday and travel Sunday. You are going to need the following weekend to recuperate.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX

Ok this is far enough that I can put in for vacation. I am in for these dates tentatively.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I will have a list of things to bring for sure. I have a tentative list right now but I peruse it every so often to make sure I'm not forgetting anything and so far I've caught a couple of things I should have suggested and left out so I'm going to give it a week or two before I releas the list. I don't want to keep adding addendums. Here is a basic list for you though.

Day Pack of sturdy construction
    Sturdy Fixed Blade Knife capable of chopping and/or a small sturdy hatchet or ax
    Smaller Fixed blade knife or lockblade folding knife
    Cheap, non-serrated knife. An old kitchen knife will do.
    3x5' sections of pvc pipe
    8oz or larger Stainless Steel Mug/Cup
    Coghlans, Coleman, or Texsport Sierra Cup (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
    Canteen, Water Bottle, or Camelback (or similar) hydration pack
    Warm Clothing of sturdy construction, please remember to layer, so no overly bulky layers.
    Sturdy, steel toe preferrend, hiking boots or combat type boots.
    Tennis shoes, the older and more worn, the better (as long as they are still usable)
    Matches
    Sturdy compass
    At least 4 pairs of socks
    Sleeping mat and or air mattress
    Sleeping bag rated to +20 or lower (it will be VERY COLD some nights)
    You are encouraged to bring a tent, though it isn't required
    Sturdy insulated gloves
    2 pairs of thin cotton gloves
    Sturdy centerfire pistol with which you are proficient in its accurate deployment and field stripping.
    Sturdy holster
    Sturdy combat type rifle with which you are proficient in its accurate deployment and field stripping. (This means it should be sighted in WELL before you get there)
    Magazines for both when applicable
    500 rounds of ammo for each
    smith diamond stone

Suggested List
    Lee hand press
    Die set for both your rifle and pistol calibers
    100 primers and projectiles in both calibers
    1lb of powder for each caliber
    Arkansas wet stone
    Otis or similar packable gun cleaning kit
    Small bottle of gun oil

This experience will be completely immersive. This will be taxing both physically and mentally. It is being designed to mimic an actual TEOTWAWKI event where you have a few trusted friends that can help you brush up on your skills throughout the week. I don't want to give away all the secrets, but this will not just be lecture type stuff with little demo's afterward. It will be hard work. For those that cannot participate fully, the rest of the group will have to carry their weight. While learning, you will also have to be on guard for potential intruders. You will have an area of influence that you will patrol daily to inspect game trails, check for interlopers or signs thereof, and generally learn to view your environment on a regular basis so that you will become observant to slight nuanced variations in that environment. Akin to coming home and noticing your couch was moved an inch, you will become observant to these minor changes that could hold clues to your very survival.

You will get hungry

You will get wet

You will be tired

This will be the real deal and I'm working really hard to make it as immersive as possible.

YZF-R1

Aug 22, 2010
    I'm definitely interested in this. It does sound like a lot of material for 6 days. Are you aware of any other class that covers that much in that environment and timeframe?

My knowledge on most of those topics is only based on books I read years ago that not having the practical experience made me loose interest on some.

My concern is to spend that time and money and not be able to really learn but a fraction of the topics.

Thanks for offering this kind of class.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'm definitely interested in this. It does sound like a lot of material for 6 days. Are you aware of any other class that covers that much in that environment and timeframe?

My knowledge on most of those topics is only based on books I read years ago that not having the practical experience made me loose interest on some.

My concern is to spend that time and money and not be able to really learn but a fraction of the topics.

He forgot to add a notepad and pencil to that list.. :lol2:

I think the point of the class, as he calls it "immersion", is to do this stuff hands on, it's the best way to learn anything and sticks better then reading it at home IMHO.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia

You won't be an expert by the end of the week, but you will have a firm grasp in the basics along with the practical experience to apply yourself into the future, ask the right questions, and continue to learn. I've been doing this stuff for 20 years and still don't know it all. But this class will be different than any other class I've attended or taught and this class has the best shot of making a lasting impression.

I don't mean to be cryptic, but part of the allure of the class is the unexpected. I have things planned that I've not seen done before in a format that I've never heard of anyone else doing.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Instructor Bio – Justin (tss1004)
    I began my journey in primitive skills at a young age. When I was nine years old my father purchased a blackpowder rifle just before Christmas. He had taken to that rifle quite readily and was quickly enamored with the trappings of buckskinning. We soon began attending rendezvous in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. By 10, we were both hooked. We spent countless hours researching everything that had to do with the bygone era of the fur trade. The brave mountain men that ventured into the unknown, seeking fortune in the most basic and renewable resource available, embodied an independence that I yearned for. We began to take weekend workshops together and we sought advice and instruction from professionals and accomplished amateurs alike.

My interest in the fur trade always took a slight back seat to Native American teachings. As cool as the blackpowder guns were, and guns in general, I was always drawn to the beautiful handmade recurves, longbows, and flatbows of the American Indian. Their customs, traditions, and most importantly their respectful utilization of natural resources drew me in. I was even more hooked.
    I read books by the likes of Brown and McPhereson. Perused every foxfire book until it was dog eared and battered. I took to the woods every day after school and would spend weekends practicing my craft. I was fortunate to have a mentor in both my father and my cousin, who was an accomplished naturalist working at a Baltimore area nature center. Through my cousin I was introduced to other professional naturalists and survivalists and quickly developed a network of support and instruction. I began volunteering at a nature center, which I continued through high school. As a high school senior I was asked to instruct some primitive skills camps, I signed on as a compensated instructor in various fields, this included week long primitive skills camps.

While working my way through volunteer positions and internships, I continued to hone my skills. I would spend weeks and occasionally months living off the land in (then) rural Carrol County on my uncles farm as well as a friends farm in Pennsylvania and occasionally several weeks on the AT, residing in shelters I had built and eating food I foraged or killed. I continued to instruct and eventually had a group of interested friends who became enthusiastic about survivalist teachings and together we continued to develop our skills.

My father unfortunately died shortly after I graduated high school and my view on survivalism became very personal. I was a young adult with a good job in a time of perceived prosperity. Most of my old survivalist buddies were caught up in normal young adult life and had little interest in traipsing around the woods in moccasins any longer and I was left on my own. This coupled with the loss of my survivalist buddy (Dad) was terribly painful for me and I had a hard time talking about any of it, or including anyone new so I just continued solo.

My interest and practice of survival skills never waivered. In fact, it’s the very reason why I bought my property in WV, the same one I will share with some of you. Until recently, this idea never even crossed my mind, the one to formally teach others. But I have some good friends now that had little experience in these types of things and over the last couple of years I’ve done quite a bit of instructing with them and unanimously they came up with the idea that I should offer a class. I was reluctant at first. I was concerned that I wouldn’t have enough credibility, or hadn’t attended the right classes myself. The sentiment amongst them remained unwavering, they thought that I possessed the knowledge and teaching ability to do this and they had the utmost faith that I could succeed in helping others learn these skills.

Still unsure, I spoke with my boss. He and I have become friends in the three years I’ve worked for him as a Critical Care Paramedic and I trust his objectivity. When I presented the idea, he was nearly speechless that I had any reservation about the endeavor. He pointed out how I had done this very instruction, albeit in smaller compartmentalized doses, hundreds of times in the three years he’s known me. I had become somewhat a mentor in things survival with many of my co-workers, and even himself, and that it was a natural progression for me.

Well, needless to say, I thought about it some more. Slept on it for a few nights, then a few weeks, and never once did I think I was unprepared or that this was a bad idea. I finally presented it to the final arbiter, my mother, who is probably the most critical person I know, and she agreed with what everyone else had affirmed.

So, I’ve given a brief synopsis of my life. A life steeped in every detail of survivalism and self reliance. I bring forth 20 years of learning and experience with the humbleness that I still do not know everything. I’m patient and understanding in my teaching style and have a knack for making pieces fit, especially with those that have a hard time grappling complex concepts in emergency medicine (my chosen career path) and teaching principles that I apply to simpler concepts in survivalism.

So in forming the final stages of my plan I had originally wanted to go big. Give away a bunch of survival gear and pull out all the stops with presentation. This has proved challenging in that the cost was too burdensome and I’ve modified the original plan to keep cost down in an effort to encourage more participation, but I’ve also kept with the original spirit of the class in order to make it extremely dynamic to reinforce the basic tenets of survival, while maximizing the students ability to put into practice a ton of information.

I will have a support staff, though that list is still in the works. I can tentatively say that I’m trying to work with my cousin and mentor, the one who is the naturalist and helped foster my early growth in survivalism. He has become quite accomplished over the years as both a naturalist and an illustrator for NatGeo and his expertise will be invaluable. The only issue is that his health is failing. He was diagnosed with MS a few years ago and I need to be careful how his expertise is utilized.

My other tentative support staff includes one of the survivalist friends mentioned in an earlier paragraph. His name is Chris and he is an expert with anything mechanical and is a genius with adaptive methods to accomplish any mechanical task. In addition to his survivalism skills and mechanical skills he is a farmer and his knowledge of agriculture and livestock is invaluable.

Bill is the final current tentative member of the support staff. He is a retired Marine Colonel who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He is also a staunch survivalist with a keen eye for planning and security measures. He is a firearms instructor and remarkable with woodcraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom