• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    To compete in upper levels at USPSA you pretty much have to default to a .40 as the hit factors give a pretty sizeable advantage to the higher level caliber
    Nils won Limited Nats shooting a 9mm Canik. While I think most people would certainly agree that it's a necessity in open, it's not as much in Limited and Single-Stack... if you're very good.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you pretty much have to default to a .40 as the hit factors give a pretty sizeable advantage to the higher level calibers.
    production, carry optics (basically production with a slide-mounted red dot) and now limited optics (basically 1911/2011 with slide mounted dot and no ports or comps) all have only minor-power-factor-scoring, basic 9mm. sure, if you look at overall scoring with combined divisions the open and limited shooters doing 9 major, 40, 38 super and the like will have a scoring advantage.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    3x5 cards are also pretty awesome for cheap drill targets.
    I use the dividers that come some of the 100 round boxes of ammunition.

I like to shoot pins, so I use those targets with 10 1” diameter bullseyes on it. I shoot the top 5 then turn it over and shoot the bottom half.

There are all kinds of targets out there if one gets away from the traditional target paradyne.

Jake4now

Not Disapproved
    Jul 20, 2022
    Baltimore County MD
    This is all good advice wish there was a nearby range that offered steel. Would like to work at practical accuracy with faster shots rather than pure target accuracy.
    Every Thursday afternoon/evening in fall and winter we shoot "Outlaw Steel" at Baltimore County Game and Fish. You will see CZs of every flavor, along with the lesser guns...

Friendly group there that will probably let you shoot theirs if you ask nicely. Let me know if you ever want to give it a try.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To echo a common theme :

You already have a CZ-75B ( and an almost HI Power ) . Get a reasonably satisfactory holster , and start shooting them , working on your skills . Those guns won't be holding you back .

Get back to us in a year or 10 k rounds whichever comes first , if you have then decided if there's something different you want to try , or a particular Class ( category) you want to specialize in .

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    Every Thursday afternoon/evening in fall and winter we shoot "Outlaw Steel" at Baltimore County Game and Fish. You will see CZs of every flavor, along with the lesser guns...

Friendly group there that will probably let you shoot theirs if you ask nicely. Let me know if you ever want to give it a try.
    Thank you may very well take you up on that.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    They are did my Carry class there but you need a sponsor to join.
    You don't need to be a member to shoot matches at Delta or AGC. Sign yourself up with a Practiscore account so you can register for matches and go out and shoot what you have. See what people are shooting and you'll soon figure out what gun you want to buy.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I was gonna ask if you've done any competitions. I just did my first 2 gun last month and the last thing on my mind was upgrading my guns lol. There's a lot more to competition than I thought.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Better advise is to go to a range that rents the guns you're interested in and test fire them. Just holding them in your hand doesn't mean you'll shoot them well.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Best advice I got was to first go to a gun store, hold them in your hand, and the one that feels most comfortable should be the one you go with.
    I'm not going to say that's bad advice, but it's also not good advice. I would submit to you that 1) most modern pistols feel reasonably comfortable and 2) performance matters more than comfort. If you're gripping the gun correctly and focused on the target, I doubt you're even going to notice how the gun feels in your hand in a match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom