• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    On tues I took my wifes 3006 with brand new er shaw barrel to the range and did a break in on it. I put 89 shots through it cleaning a lot until the last 26 shots I did not clean until after. Today I pulled the compensator off and noticed a lot of build up on the muzzle. I tried to cleannit and realized it is off a metallic nature and it is pretty hard to get it off with out scratching the crown.

First will this build up on the crown affect accuracy over time?

second if it will negatively affect accuracy how do I prevent the build up or clean it?

Attachments

• IMG_20150825_215445.jpg
      IMG_20150825_215445.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 128
    • 20150912_102026.jpg
      20150912_102026.jpg
      29.2 KB · Views: 123
    • 20150912_102017.jpg
      20150912_102017.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 120

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Metallic like jacketing material? That shouldn't be.

My varmint rifles collect carbon under the brakes, and it is a hard carbon. I worry it with a brass brush now and then, but one of my rifles never comes clean and it does not effect the accuracy.

Your post made me wonder if the polishing or lack thereof has anything to do with the ability to clean the crown.

I would not use anything harder than brass to clean it. Some Scotch pads have an abrasive that will scratch steel. I would not submerge the end of the barrel in any gun cleaning agents containing ammonia.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    So a hard carbon is definitely what it is I was try to get it to break off and I did in one section. but I had to use a flat head screw drive to get it to chip off. And I was wondering if there is a better way to get it off or if it is ok to let be?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You really don't want to damage the area in red.
    No screwdrivers. Harbor freight has brass brushes that look like toothbrushes for a buck or two at the most. Don't use the steel ones.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
      Capture.jpg
      25.9 KB · Views: 225

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    Yeah I only used the flat head on the high part of the crown and did not want to use it anymore and that is why I was asking if it could eventually damage the gun or acuuracy if I never cleaned it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom