• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    Hey guys. I'm interested in buying an upper to build an AR pistol. Since I'm not completely familiar with AR pistols and shorter barrel uppers I was wondering if you guys could let me know your thoughts on the two options below... Or is there something else you could suggest in a similar price range. I'd like to maybe even go with a shorter length barrel but have read that the shorter ones can be a little less reliable. Thoughts? Opinions?

https://22mods4all.com/en/home/2456...-19-twist-10-keymod-slim-free-float-rail.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...tainless-freedom-upper-without-bcg-or-ch.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...1-7-stainless-freedom-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

Thank you all in advance!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Difference #1- First one is 10.5, the second two are 11.5in . There are arguments in favor of 11.5in, but largely personal preference.

Difference #2- First two are low profile gas blocks and freefloat with no sights. Third has A3 style A frame FSB and carbine style handgaurds. Matter of personal preference. I like the A2 style FSB, but majority opinion goes the other way.

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    I like the set-up of #1 though I'm not sure of the quality of the barrel, for $210, I'd maybe risk it. My 2cents.

That's what I thought. For $210 it's not too much but I don't know much about the quality

I've been waiting for this one to be available again:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...-5-56-nato-1-7-keymod-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

I'm not sure if the chrome lined FN barrel is worth the extra $130 for my needs (range toy). So I may go with the PSA keymod you listed.

I agree... I think I would pick that one up too if it were available and on sale.

Difference #1- First one is 10.5, the second two are 11.5in . There are arguments in favor of 11.5in, but largely personal preference.

Difference #2- First two are low profile gas blocks and freefloat with no sights. Third has A3 style A frame FSB and carbine style handgaurds. Matter of personal preference. I like the A2 style FSB, but majority opinion goes the other way.

Do you have experience with 10.5 vs 11.5? I'm not sure which way to go with reliability... But then again can 1 inch really make that much difference?

I think I would like to get flip up sights as opposed to the fixed front... This setup would likely get a red dot anyway.

Why do you prefer the a2 style? Anything in particular I should be looking for that I am not?

Thank you all for your input.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Not the first. That site is known to be little shady. A couple of r/gundeals threads on it

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually I do have both a 10.5 and an 11.5 . The 10.5 is an on sale from PSA, the 11.5 is a vintage Colt. Quite different, but both function reliably.

In general, while 10.5 vs 11.5 seems like a small difference, that's not the important part. The important part is the length between the gasport and the muzzle.

The longer the distance ( length), the longer the dwell time (time). Longer dwell time is a good thing. ( Easier tuning, less ammo sensitive, possibly smoother, etc.) I should have the numbers .memorized, but off the top of my head, the extra inch gives close to 50% longer dwell time.

For the $200-ish price range for an upper, you're not going to get chrome lining, hammer forging, or upgraded steel. For a similar upper with chrome lined 4150 steel, you're going to pay $279-300-ish. What's "better" ? Dunno what's better for your needs , perceptions, or preferences, or how much high dollar vs low dollar factors for you. A 4140 non-plated isn't terrible. Assuming you do minimal maintance, rusting bores won't be an issue. The difference in bbl life with plating will be the greatest witb mag dumps. Slow-ish fire will extend bbl life.

In top $ accuracy bbls, plain bores are prefered for better accuracy. But in these inexpensive bbls, the plating probably wouldn't be a limiting factor.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    With most things in life, you're going to get what you pay for. The question you have to ask yourself, is this good enough for my intended use? If it is, then buy it. If you have questions, spend a little more money and buy something with a little more quality. A good barrel and rail are going to cost you more than these are selling for. So you know you're not getting a top quality upper. But if your just using it as a range toy and durability isn't your utmost concern, then buy it.

Budget builds happen every day, there nothing wrong with that. As long as you realize what you're buying.

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    Thank you biggfoot! Great info! I think you are selling me on the 11.5 from PSA. Easier is better... At least for me, at this time.

For an additional $40-$60 (the $279-300 price range) can you recommend a chrome lined barrel upper?

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    With most things in life, you're going to get what you pay for. The question you have to ask yourself, is this good enough for my intended use? If it is, then buy it. If you have questions, spend a little more money and buy something with a little more quality. A good barrel and rail are going to cost you more than these are selling for. So you know you're not getting a top quality upper. But if your just using it as a range toy and durability isn't your utmost concern, then buy it.

Budget builds happen every day, there nothing wrong with that. As long as you realize what you're buying.

Thank you for the info. I agree and this is most certainly a budget build just for fun. I'm just not sure how well some of these shorter barrels function or if they can be too picky with ammo. I like to blow through wolf gold... Can't beat the price esp for indoor ranges

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    Now should the buffer correspond with the type of gas system used (in this case carbine) or does it correspond with the length of the barrel (10.5 inches)?

I understand that the barrel length and gas system used correspond but I would just like to double check... H, H2, H3? I have no idea...

This would be built into a pistol and a pistol buffer tube would be used.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Now should the buffer correspond with the type of gas system used (in this case carbine) or does it correspond with the length of the barrel (10.5 inches)?

I understand that the barrel length and gas system used correspond but I would just like to double check... H, H2, H3? I have no idea...

This would be built into a pistol and a pistol buffer tube would be used.

A carbine length gas system may over gas the gun. You may find that you want a heavier buffer but you may not.

Get this https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/ar15-buffer-system and figure out what works best for your set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom