Comparable to P226/229 (minus the pricetag)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brown016

Mar 28, 2016
    I have been looking for a relatively cheap 226/229 in 9mm. I have not been having much luck. I see a few from out-of-state vendors but, I like to physically see what I am purchasing before I put a chunk of change down. So, I have been thinking that I should look for something that is reasonably similar and may save some money. Can anyone provide any suggestions? I want to stay in DA/SA territory since I am working with LEO friends and don't want to deviate too much from what I have been practicing and am already familiar with. As a general idea, I'm trying to stay under $700 and am not worried about brand new or not.

As an aside, I do go to a place that rents out pistols but, at 5 per pistol and 20+ per box of ammo, it does add up when I am only using side money for this new hobby. If I can narrow down, my life is a lot easier.

Thanks!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    CZ 75 BD.

Also much more comfortable than a SIG. Most IPs here will have one in stock. 2A sales is a stocking CZ dealer

Usually around $600

Last edited:
    Check out the Zastava CZ99/CZ999 series. P226/8-inspired clones out of Serbia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_CZ_99

Crvena_Zastava_99.jpg

I see CZ99s on the used market these days for $200-300 in perfectly good condition.

There's a new model coming around from Slovenia lately, too:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/REXZERO1S-01.html

REXZERO1S-01.jpg

Not sure if that one's on "The List" just yet, so be sure to keep an ear to the ground.

Big country

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Lou at Shooters Discount usually stocks some police trade in sigs. I picked up a 229 in 40 a few years ago for a steal. I would call them up see if they have any in 9.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    FN FNP or FNX..can't remember which is current. Actually you can get anything you want. I say that because once you have your pistol you'll learn it. Anything you had learned will not really get in the way, unless you buy a colt single action army.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    At the risk of floating an unpopular thought...I'm of the buy once, cry once school.

If you really want a Sig P-series, wait, save some more money, and then get one. Also check the consignment section at shops like United.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not available with decocker.
    The slide-mounted safety variant is a combo safety/decocker. The CZ-75BD has a frame-mounted decocker, but no manual safety. Then again, the decocker Sig also doesn't have a manual safety. I also don't remember the OP necessarily requiring that feature, he just wanted SA/DA.

Anyways, you can find used CZ-75s and Tanfoglios fairly cheaply ($400-$450), and these will work just fine for the OP. I would not get particularly hung up on polymer vs metal frame, either... in my experience, both shoot just fine.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    At the risk of floating an unpopular thought...I'm of the buy once, cry once school.

If you really want a Sig P-series, wait, save some more money, and then get one. Also check the consignment section at shops like United.

This.

Finding a used P series is not hard at all, every time I go to a gun store with a decent consignment inventory they have a P226 or P229 there. It might be a premium model outside of your price range or it might be the wrong caliber but you will get the chance to hold it and decide if it is the gun you want. Gunbroker.com has plenty of police trade-ins in 9mm that you can get within your price range.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Buy once, cry once only works when you actually know what you want/need. My first centerfire handgun was a Sig P226. To be honest, I don't consider it to be all that exceptional compared to many of the other (cheaper!) options on the market.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As mentioned earlier, Sig Sauer has a certified pre-owned (CPO) program where they resell trade-in pistols that they've brought up to spec with parts replacements. They have a good reputation for selling quality used pistols. These will come with a red wrapper on the handle typically and be significantly discounted relative to a new pistols price.

2A Sales (in the MDShooters Industrial Partner, IP, subforum) carries a lot of Sigs so probably has a healthy inventory of CPO guns when released. They also have a great selection of CZ pistols. Shooter's Discount (owned by MDS member Lou45) often has resales of very nice condition Glocks, HKs, and Sigs, and would be a good source to consult. Shooter's Discount is also in the MDS IP subforum.

This internet retailer also carries a lot of Sig CPOs (but seems to be out of them currently). See recent pricing for 226 (not including shipping or transfer fees, which are already covered within prices you see at a MD FFL) ...

http://summitgunbroker.com/226.html

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom