• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • osu_peanuts

Jan 29, 2015
    I have had so much success with gathering and using everyones advice in projects that I am starting a new project.

Switching from Compound hunting to Recurve. The challenges, equipment needs and differences. Just any advice I can gather from people who have experience.

The project: Hunting deer
    Wife and myself
    experience in hunting: Me with a bow about eight years with a compound. Wife, this is her first experience with a bow.

We have exceptional space and targets to learn with.

The question is where to begin. I will take any advice from how to get the wife started, gear...best starter gear. I would say funds are moderate for this project. So I am excited to see what everyone throws at me. Thanks in advance for every moment you spend sharing, it wont be wasted.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    How deep do you want to go in? More traditional with cedar arrows etc? Or more modern? Opinions vary widely on the subject. Your best bet is to go to Lancaster Archery and shoot some bows. What works for me may not work for you. Sooo many different options to get in to and are you looking for laser accuracy or pie plate at 20 yards?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    First, are you looking to learn instinctive shooting or will your recurves have sights?

Are you in relatively good shape and can spend extra time developing muscles and doing repetitive practice?

osu_peanuts

Jan 29, 2015
    getting started

Thanks for getting started, I would be putting a great deal of time into this as a hobby. Would like to learn instinctive and have the ability to hunt deer within 50 yards comfortably. You said I could goto Lancaster and try out some bows, thats a great idea.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    A 50 yard kill shot on a deer is a very long shot indeed. A 70lb. recurve is no joy to hold for a few minutes. Traditional hunting requires you to be more intimate with your quarry.

osu_peanuts

Jan 29, 2015
    Gotcha so I can expect to shoot at a short ranges. But honestly I dont think I have taken a shot with my compound past 25 yards. Its good to know ranges to that are to be expected. Using this type of system.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    You can go to Lancaster Archery or their website, look at the Samick Sage. You can purchase lighter limbs to start and heavier limbs after you become profiecient in your form. IAW buy the bow with 30 or 35 lbs limbs, later get 40 or 50 lbs limbs for hunting.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Read up on Instinctive Vs. gap shooting. You will almost start gap shooting to get yourself started and then you leave both eyes open and start just heading into instinctive shooting. Unless you heavily rely on the gap shooting for your adjustments in aim.

Then read up on "snap shooting" but this is something you must learn instinctive shooting first. This is also something you can rush and mess up your form. You draw the bow while instinctively aim at your target,once you come to full draw you release the arrow. Hence the term snap shooting as its as you snap it back and release it immediately. Can be very effective as you never shake, but can be screwed up easily if rushed. :)

Most Traditional archers setup hunting shots at 20 yards and under. As a newbie keep it a short as you can.

The Tradgang.com is a great place to ask these questions and read up on this stuff.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Most of my recurve and longbow deer were taken at less than 20 yards-some at less than 20 feet. Don't be afraid of feather fletched cedar arrows and traditional heads like Zwickey or even the old Bodkins, a 50-60lb recurve will put them thru any deer at a reasonable distance, and you don't need no stinkin' sight pins. Fairly easy to learn to be accurate enough to kill deer, start shooting at short comfortable distances and work your way back, gallon milk jugs make good targets--just toss them on the ground at various distances and have at it-they can be filled with expanding foam or stuffed with plastic bags if you want. Traditional bows are very forgiving as to arrow weight and arrowhead type, not fussy like highly tuned compounds. Also learn to shoot off the shelf-less to go wrong. You will be surprised a how effective a wooden arrow moving less than 200 fps can be. It is supposed to be fun.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    The Tradgang.com is a great place to ask these questions and read up on this stuff.

Just be wary of some of the advise there.... do not drink the kool aid...

Been shooting trad exclusively for the past 13 yrs, tradgang, leatherwall, tradtalk, outdoorcore, piratesofarchery, all good sites; last two better for real info for hunters... pirates has some true competition archers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom