• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    [FONT=&quot]Commissioners Declare Carroll a Sanctuary County for Second Amendment[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Taking a cue from liberal Maryland jurisdictions that have created “nuclear-free zones” and “sanctuaries” for illegal immigrants, Carroll County Commissioner Richard Rothchild proposed a resolution Wednesday night to make Carroll County a sanctuary for gun owners exercising their constitutional rights under the second amendment.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At a public hearing last night with over 260 people in attendance, Rothchild and three other county commissioners introduced the “Second Amendment Preservation Resolution.” The resolution is the commissioners’ response to Gov. Martin O’Malley’s gun control legislation (Senate Bill 281) that passed the General Assembly in April. After a two and one-half hour public hearing, the commissioners voted 4-0 in favor of the resolution.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Each of the commissioners in attendance, Rothchild, Doug Howard, Robin Frazier and Haven Shoemaker, made opening statements. Commissioner David Rouch was unable to attend because of a prior commitment but sent a written statement of support for the resolution that was read by county administrator Steven Powell.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The commissioners then took turns reading the proposed resolution word-by-word. The pro-gun rights audience responded with clapping and shout-outs to several provisions of the resolution.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The largest favorable response came when Frazier read a provision relating to international treaties: “The Board hereby declares null and void within Carroll County, elements of any and all international treaties, including UNATT [United Nations Arms Trade Treaty] that infringe on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]State’s Attorney Jerry Barnes and Sheriff Ken Tregoning each expressed support for the county resolution and stated that they would use whatever discretion is afforded their offices to make sure that the new law under Senate Bill 281 does not trap unsuspecting law-abiding citizens. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I served as a Green Beret sergeant in the central highlands of Vietnam,” Barnes said, “and I get it! . . . I assure you, I can promise you, you can trust me!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tregoning opened his presentation asking that the audience stand in a moment of silence for the victims of the Oklahoma tornado and the heroic efforts of the public safety personnel responding to that tragedy. Citing the traditional role of the Sheriff in society as the “barrier between order and anarchy,” Tregoning stated that “the Carroll County Sheriff’s office will be your last line of defense.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Over 30 citizens spoke during the public hearing portion of the meeting. All were in favor of the proposed resolution except for one citizen, Jackie Jones, who spoke on behalf of the Carroll County Democratic Central Committee in opposition to the resolution.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jones offered broad support for Gov. Martin O’Malley’s gun control measure and accused the commissioners of political grandstanding for the 2014 election. When she reached the end of her two-minute time allotment, she asked for an additional minute to further explain her support of gun control, but the audience responded with a resounding “No” to her request.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In addition to supporting the commissioners’ resolution and offering comments on their own philosophy of constitutional rights, the citizen speakers proposed other actions that the citizens could take including joining national, state and local gun clubs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One of the first citizen speakers was John Vey of Manchester who identified himself as a member of the Dug Hill Rod and Gun Club, Inc. Vey described the O’Malley legislation as “people control – not gun control,” and urge everyone in attendance to get involved in the 2014 election to support candidates that reflect their views and “get out and vote!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Prior to the citizen participation, several speakers offered support of the commissioners’ efforts and described the constitutional underpinnings for the resolution. These speakers were Don Helms, chaplain and past president of the Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police, Michael Burke, a grassroots activist who testified in Annapolis against Senate Bill 281, and Michael Peroutka, Esq., and Pastor David Whitney, both representing the Institute on the Constitution.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After the meeting, Rothchild spoke to a group of Hampstead residents in the lobby. “We need to have all of the rural counties adopt similar resolutions to combat the notion that an overwhelming majority of Marylanders support this legislation,” he said. “We certainly don’t want to be in court fighting for our constitutional rights and have a judge say that there is no reason to void the law because there is overwhelming popular support for it.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Frank Bauerlein of Hampstead agreed with Rothschild. “When I was in Annapolis to testify, I heard the Democratic leadership say 80 percent of Marylanders support the O’Malley gun ban. That is absurd.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bauerlein was especially upset with the vote of Senator Jim Brochin of Baltimore County. “My friends in northern Baltimore County contacted Senator Brochin and thought he would vote against the O’Malley gun control bill – but he didn’t. We need to elect Senators who will defend our rights in Annapolis!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]DEFEAT JIM BROCHIN![/FONT]
    You are cordially invited to join
    Senator Joe Getty and Chris Cavey
    For A Patriotic, Star-Spangled Memorial Day Tribute to our Veterans
    and
    A Celebration of our Second Amendment Rights as American Citizens
    Your contribution will help defend and protect our Second Amendment rights from future infringement! Senator Joe Getty and Senate candidate Chris Cavey are hosting a joint rally in preparation for the 2014 election. Senator Getty is running for re-election in District 5 (Carroll County) while Chris is running for election in the new District 42 (Baltimore County) against anti-gun rights Senator Jim Brochin.
    Bull Roast and Drinks
    Catered by GOP Events * Music
    Thursday, May 30, 2013, 6-9 p.m.
    Arcadia VFD Activities Bldg.
    16020 Carnival Ave., Upperco, MD 21155
    $75.00 per person
    GOLD SPONSOR: $600 (6 tickets)
    SILVER SPONSOR: $300 (4 tickets)
    (cut here)----------------------------------------------------------------------------(cut here)
    Checks should be made payable to: 5/42 GOP Slate
    and mailed to: P.O. Box 437, Hampstead, MD 21074.
    Info: 410-440-3581.
    Check one:
    _____ Yes, I/We will attend the Getty/Cavey Fundraiser on Thursday, May 30. Enclosed please find our check:
    $______ for _______ ticket at $75 each
    -OR -
    _____ $300 for SILVER Sponsorship.
    _____ $600 for GOLD Sponsorship.
    _____ Unfortunately, we are not able to attend, but we have enclosed a contribution of $ ______.
    Name(s) _________________________________________
    Address______________________________
    City_____________________State______Zip__________________
    Phone__________________________
    Fax_____________________________
    E-mail_________________________________________________
    Authority: 5/42 GOP Slate, E. J. Getty, Treasurer​

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    Wife and I were there, it was one of those nights that made us proud to be Carroll residents for the past 18 years. I sent off my thank you notes to the commissioners this morning. Commissioner Shoemaker must be an early riser, he wrote back before 6:30am! And thanks to all on this forum who showed up as well.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Wishing Washington County would go this route, but they probably haven't even given it a thought.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Sounds like a good start to me. Is there a list of councilmen/congressmen that we can write to urge to also pass this in thier counties?

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Sounds like a good start to me. Is there a list of councilmen/congressmen that we can write to urge to also pass this in thier counties?

What county do you live in? Contact your friendly councilpersons or commissioners and urge them to consider such a resolution. Cecil County has also declared a similar resolution, though if I am not mistaken, I don't think they've not enacted their county as a "Sanctuary County".

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I sadly live in Baltimore City so nothing will be done about it. I still like to write to people though and tell them my opinion on things.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    I sadly live in Baltimore City so nothing will be done about it. I still like to write to people though and tell them my opinion on things.

Well, you can always set up a goal to leave and form a plan to get it in motion. I'm not aware of your particular situation, but I myself was a 10 year resident of west Baltimore, but I moved to Carroll County in late 2011 before my wife and I got married, The contrast is like night and day.

I still own my property in Baltimore, and trying to find a new tenant, so there's that problem...

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    My plan to move is already in motion. I got a nice job close to Carroll and am saving up to buy a house now. I’ll hopefully have enough in 6 months to contact a real estate agent and get the ball in motion.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Cmon Harford! And if a certain somebody could get someone to co-sign on a mortgage for a certain property, I'd be glad to help with his Baltimore county senatorial run. That somebody needs to live in the district he intends to run in...

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Anyone know where I can get a Carroll County flag? I'd like to take my Maryland flag down in front of my house and replace it with a CC flag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom