• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shottypimpin

Jun 14, 2011
    Well, as I said, the all metal gun was the deciding factor. I didn't know until I saw it that it was made by Walther, that was more or less icing on the cake. I'm thinking that the price differential is not going to be so significant when the Smith hits the market. I'm betting it's gonna retail in the mid 5's which makes it even less attractive over the Colt. If I can have a Walther built all metal gun versus a polymer gun then my money is going for the metal. I think you may have time to save up the extra bucks for the Colt while your waiting to see what the Smith feels like.

I don't understand how being more metal plays any significant roll in your decision. So you will pay upwards of $300 more because the the colt has more metal parts? First and foremost the s&w is made in the USA and not in Germany like the colt. Second this is a 22 caliber gun not a battle rifle that your going to war with so who cares that the colt is more metal. Which brings my final point up. More metal more trouble to upkeep. The s&w is a lot better looking in my opinion and it is lighter so carrying it around all day isnt troublesome. I never shot the colt but the mp15 is magic. It's fun and accurate plus you can customize almost anything on it.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    Comparison of the composite receiver to the metal? I realize it's only a .22 , so I don't see it being that big an issue, but curious how it would stand up to a fall or drop.....

I was looking for a photo I had of the Colt. This one I'm talking about slid down a door the guy had it laying up against. Needless to say when it hit the wood floor the whole stock where it attaches cracked and broke right off at the service pin.

Because it was new, it was sent back and a new rifle was issued by Umarex. To make the owner happy, they also sent him a couple of new mags to go with the new rifle. The whole process I think was done in about two weeks before he got his rifle back.

But to answer your question, the rifle isn't all that strong if it's dropped and hits the right spot. And yes, it is made from something called Pot Metal, or White Metal. Not aluminum like some originally thought when they first came out.

I owned one of these little Colt knock off's since they came out a couple of years ago. After the first mag of 20 rounds it started feeding incorrectly about every other round. I sent it back where Umarex repaired it for me for nothing. I'm guessing it took about a week and a half before I got it back, but it was worth the wait. They did a great job fixing it right the first time, plus gave me another 20 round mag for my trouble.

After saying all of this, I also have the S&W M&P 15-22 which is also a great little .22 rifle. If you want a decent little .22 for the money? Hands down between the cost and the construction, I'd buy the S&W M&P 15-22. I did have a few feed issues right from the get-go with this rifle, but after a couple of mags using good ammo, these issues became a non-issue.

Like I said, I own them both. For the money, get yourself the S&W.

ktm2ride

Aug 15, 2011
    Whetstone, Arizona
    I recently purchased the S&W MP15-22. What a great gun. It works flawlessly and is extremely accurate. The price was great. After our first day out we are completely satisfied.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I have been looking at both the Colt and S&W and I will be going with the S&W. Youtube has a video made by Umarex on how to field strip and clean the Colt version and all they do is pull the take down pin (like a typical AR) and clean it without removing the bolt. They recommend using a cable type bore cleaner, not a rod. The S&W also breaks open via a take down pin and you can remove the bolt assembly just like an AR to clean it.
    Just gotta find one in MD.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I purchased the S&W M&P 15-22 today. Mine came with the Magpul flip up sights. Will post pics if anyone cares to see.
    Does anyone know if the stock tube is mil spec or commercial?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom