• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    No doubt correct IMO. But I wonder if they can, and perhaps more importantly, if they could convince their target audience that they can. There's more in play than simply tooling. You need a shovel to find yesterday's craftsmen. Akin in my mind to a question of how do you remake The Wizard of Oz, and have it perceived as being just as good as the original? One tough sell at any price.

No doubt the craftsmen of years ago were talented.....they made quality pieces that stood up to time and battle.

With the technology available today, I have no doubt they could duplicate or even surpass the original 1903's. The problem is the bean counters won't let that happen. Like appliances and automobiles, a lot today is throw away.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Collectors will always distinguish between the originals and the re-pops.

When Colt "re-issued" their black powder revolvers, I believe they were actually made in Italy by Uberti, with some final finishing and marking being done in the US.

I wonder if these will be made in Japan?

All that aside, I would like a nice shootable 1903... and a Browning 1910, too.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Why only a limited run is my question. The tooling cost likely can't even be recouped in a run that small. That said, I would buy one in .380.[/

Setup is nothing with today's windows based software CNC machines.. Its not like years ago when a tape had to be programmed.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Colt is planning a limited run of 1903 pistols.

Bad for the collectors, but good for the everyday man who wants to get in on one of these classic designs.

As a Colt collector, I'm not worried about the modern productions. May even pick one up if the price is not too crazy. And I'm very curious to see how well the craftsmanship compares to the originals.

Collectors will always distinguish between the originals and the re-pops.

All that aside, I would like a nice shootable 1903...

Agreed on the collector's perspective. Below are my 1903's. .32s on the left and .380s on the right. The gun on the bottom right is my 1903 "shooter". Very smooth nice shooting gun that was made in 1915.

Attachments

• IMG_4772.jpg
      IMG_4772.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 270

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The reproductions could actually enhance value of the originals. Awareness creates desire for one of the "real deals".

Colt bringing the 1903 copy out is in line with S&W's "Classic" remakes. Doable for those feinin' for an affordable older model. Probably a good idea since the small CCW market is so strong. But they are introducing it years after most other makers emphasized their CCW product additions. Market activity will tell us more.

This is also in line with Colt not really doing anything innovative and working in the handgun world. Still wanting to make money with old established handguns. Their viable handgun innovation ended with the original 10mm Delta Elite. Not slamming Colt, I like their 1911 parts...just an observation.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I wonder if they could make as nice a pistol as the original, at a reasonable price point. If the design favors craftsmanship over computer-controlled machining, the cost might exceed that of an original.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I want to see if they're all Parkerized or will they be sporting a flawless blued finish like the originals.

The pistol in the OP is not at all attractive. But metal prep for bluing costs big bucks.

Like others have said, knock out some reasonably priced, all steel, and original looking 1911-A1s and they will sell oodles of them.

Finished in zinc and not manganese would be nice too.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    This is Colt's answer to the concealed carry market? I bring to you G42's top competitor.

How they don't go out of business is beyond me.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

I wonder if these will be made in Japan?

And here is a hint:

The company has commissioned a license-built limited run of the Colt Model 1903 General Officer’s pistol in .32 ACP.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/2...al-officers-pistol-recreation-2015-shot-show/

But I predict they'll be made somewhere less expensive than Japan, like Brazil or the Philippines.

Come to think of it, the Basques have a lot of experience making 1903-based knock-offs in the Eibar region.

Whoever makes them, it won't be Colt.

From the video, "The base model gun will be priced at $1300 dollars."

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Cool gun, and I'm sure Colt collectors will snap up all 2500 of them. But geez does Colt even have a handgun engineering department anymore? They haven't come up with anything new or innovative in years. Why can't Colt come up with a decent polymer pistol they can bring to market? Colt has only had about 30 years or so to figure out how to build one. I have no interest in plastic but it appears a lot of people do and that is what sells these days.

Cool gun, and I'm sure Colt collectors will snap up all 2500 of them. But geez does Colt even have a handgun engineering department anymore? They haven't come up with anything new or innovative in years. Why can't Colt come up with a decent polymer pistol they can bring to market? Colt has only had about 30 years or so to figure out how to build one. I have no interest in plastic but it appears a lot of people do and that is what sells these days.

:thumbsup:

Jul 1, 2012
    If you read the article, it's a repro of the late Type IV military issue pistol, with the parkerized finish.
    These can run $3-5k for the originals (you'll never touch one for $1300).
    It's made by the US Armament Corporation which is in 'Murica (in fact the phone # points to Pennsylvania).

Yes, ALL Colt 1903 and 1908 models are C&R by virtue of being over 50 years old, and won't be affected by this.

Due to federal regs on marking the pistols - and I'm sure a special serial number - these would never be confused with the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom