• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The flaw in your theory is that I'm not good at lying about anything, not just disobeying unconstitutional laws.

Anyway...you keep up the virtue-signaling...errrr, good fight.
    Well, most of MD's gun laws are so poorly written, you can never be sure whether or not you're actually in violation.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Well, most of MD's gun laws are so poorly written, you can never be sure whether or not you're actually in violation.

You are correct, and definitely, I’ve already said that I find the guidance on AR-15 barrels to be arbitrary and convoluted. That being said, I’m at least going to follow the guidance that MSP has given to assure myself that I’m doing my best to avoid breaking the law.

BTW, the first time I posted on this topic (January), when I was asking for members’ opinions on whether my old Olympic Arms CAR-15 upper was MD-compliant, I was surprised at how many posters were even more risk-averse than me. The first guy who responded said he wouldn’t feel safe unless the barrel was marked HBAR. It’s weird to me that I’m getting singled out for bullying over my supposed BGOS compared to some other people here.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    OYou are correct, and definitely, I’ve already said that I find the guidance on AR-15 barrels to be arbitrary and convoluted. That being said, I’m at least going to follow the guidance that MSP has given to assure myself that I’m not breaking the law.

BTW, the first time I posted on this topic (January), when I was asking for members’ opinions on whether my old Olympic Arms CAR-15 upper was MD-compliant, I was surprised at how many posters were even more risk-averse than me. It’s weird that I’m getting singled out for bullying over my supposed BGOS compared to some other people here…
    “Bullying”

You won’t shoot a pre-13 AR in MD without an HBAR in MD despite knowing it’s legal.

There’s caution, and then there is just going too far.

You do you. In the end, your comfort with your actions is what matters.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Tbh, the reason that I follow the law is not that I'm worried about MSP ever checking my rifles at the range; my bigger concern is maintaining my security clearance. I've literally been asked in clearance interviews whether I've ever violated federal or state gun laws (I received that question from the interviewer for my most recent investigation, which was just last year). I'd rather have a clear conscience that I'm not doing anything that would jeopardize my employment prospects, especially in the event that I ever have to get polygraphed.
    I've heard, anecdotally, about a guy who admitted to selling cocaine out of his college dorm room; still got his clearance, because he spoke the truth.

Also, I think he was out of the pharma trade by then.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yeah...most of us working stiffs do have to make minor real world compromises about compliance to put food on the table...at least for a while :(

The hand that signs the paycheck rules the world.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Hi, everyone. Sorry for my late reply - I ran off to get married last week.

I want to offer some thoughts in closing: I understand that all of you regard FSA2013 (and most of MD's gun laws) as unconstitutional BS, and I share your perspectives. But please make no mistake: Acting the way that several of you are acting (i.e., trying to publicly shame me for abiding by the law, even if I don't agree with it) is indeed a form of bullying. I really think that unfortunately, the behavior that I've witnessed from some folks in this thread is representative of an endemic problem in the pro-2A interwebs: Too many folks who are characters and "true believer" types, and will shame those who don't embrace their "orthodox" perspective. I hope you all understand that this is the same kind of behavior that is common in cults and the most extreme religious and political movements (whether secular or theological), and it tends to scare those who might otherwise be inclined to agree with us.

I understand that we're all feeling browbeaten by the gun controllers and that we're sick of how we're treated by MD's government and the media, but I think you all have to remember that nobody is going to feel the least bit sympathetic to bullies. We can't blame leftist media bias and politicians for all of our problems - our community is not going to win the war for public opinion if our opponents can point to posts like those in this thread as an example of the kinds of people who oppose new gun control laws. I hope that some of you will consider how we look to outsiders, but alas, I'm not optimistic that anyone here is introspective enough to do that kind of soul-searching.

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

I want to offer some thoughts in closing: I understand that all of you regard FSA2013 (and most of MD's gun laws) as unconstitutional BS, and I share your perspectives. But please make no mistake: Acting the way that several of you are acting (i.e., trying to publicly shame me for abiding by the law, even if I don't agree with it) is indeed a form of bullying. I really think that unfortunately, the behavior that I've witnessed from some folks in this thread is representative of an endemic problem in the pro-2A interwebs: Too many folks who are characters and "true believer" types, and will shame those who don't embrace their "orthodox" perspective. I hope you all understand that this is the same kind of behavior that is common in cults and the most extreme religious and political movements (whether secular or theological), and it tends to scare those who might otherwise be inclined to agree with us.

I understand that we're all feeling browbeaten by the gun controllers and that we're sick of how we're treated by MD's government and the media, but I think you all have to remember that nobody is going to feel the least bit sympathetic to bullies. We can't blame leftist media bias and politicians for all of our problems - our community is not going to win the war for public opinion if our opponents can point to posts like those in this thread as an example of the kinds of people who oppose new gun control laws. I hope that some of you will consider how we look to outsiders, but alas, I'm not optimistic that anyone here is introspective enough to do that kind of soul-searching.
    Congratulations ! Hope you have a blessed life together.
    I think your response to post 28 is where things got a little sideways. I understood your post to be surprised at someone letting Leo shoot standard (pencil) barrel post 13 ARs. No where have I seen you post you wouldn’t shoot a pre 13 pencil AR. Maybe I’m confused? I really don’t think anyone truly wants you to do something you’re not comfortable with. But they definitely want you to feel comfortable if your within the law.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    JFC, a lot of people on this board hold tickets. Like the good doc said, you do you.
    If you feel bullied, go to your safe space.
    I have let many Leo, FED and local, shoot my firearms. I even RSO'ed an event where the police were called. Guess who ended up hanging out shooting with us.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State

Matt, congratulations on the nuptials. Don't get too upset about being called BGOS, just roll with the flow. One question though, why all the fuss when you are listed as living in Arlington, VA. ??

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Has anyone ever been prosecuted for having a non-HBAR rifle? Does anyone in law enforcement care, or even know what they're looking at?
    I've never heard of anything. I've never had a gun checked once by a LEO ever, except for a game warden and all he was looking for was lead shot when they banned it.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Congratulations ! Hope you have a blessed life together.
    I think your response to post 28 is where things got a little sideways. I understood your post to be surprised at someone letting Leo shoot standard (pencil) barrel post 13 ARs. No where have I seen you post you wouldn’t shoot a pre 13 pencil AR. Maybe I’m confused? I really don’t think anyone truly wants you to do something you’re not comfortable with. But they definitely want you to feel comfortable if your within the law.

Thank you! I appreciate it. But I am confused - in Post #28, Muleskinner wrote the following:

I've been to the range at DELMARVA several times with law enforcement there shooting. The only interactions I've had with any of them have all been positive. I have 1 pre 2013 AR and several that were built or purchased afterward. I have both HBAR and standard profile uppers and have invited officers to shoot my firearms while there. Never have they inspected my guns or even commented on the HBAR law...and I can tell you that they have shot post 2013 ARs that I own with standard profile barrels and they never even asked.

In other words: I read his message (#28 in this topic) as an indicator that he runs non-HBAR uppers on his post-2013 lowers, not his pre-2013 lowers. That also seems to be everyone's beef with me: They're telling me that I should be willing to break the law and run standard (non-HBAR) uppers on my lowers. If I owned any pre-2013 lowers, I would not have any hesitancy with using regular-profile barrels on them. Alas, I don't - I sold my only pre-2013 lower years before I knew that I was going to have to move to MD.

If you feel bullied, go to your safe space.

I'm perfectly fine; my self-esteem is healthy enough that this doesn't bother me. What I do worry about is that several of the folks on here are doing our community a disservice and ensuring that nobody outside of the community will ever see us as the "good guys."

One question though, why all the fuss when you are listed as living in Arlington, VA. ??

As of this year, I don't any more - I'm in the Rockville/North Bethesda area, living with my wife. I have been trying to change my profile, but don't see where to update my location info.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wouldn't this had been bought Cash and Carry in the first place ? Just Curious
    Nope, when I bought it, it was regulated.

Before '94 , an SP-1 was just a regular rifle .

Between '94- ' 96 , it would have initially sold as a " Regulated Rifle " , but could have subsequently been sold in private sale .

Not sure how these facts fit into the discussion , other than such a person would have had to be 21 yo in '96 , and thereby in their 50's today .

And down memory lane , while HBAR were exempted , probably a good 50% of dealers sold them on a 77R in an abundance of caution .

Not sure how that would fit in either , but more knowledge is usually better than less .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Congratulations on your nuptials . Live long , prosper , and be fruitful .

That said -

You kind of set the tone by wanting to find a work around for a "naughty" bbl profile .

Interpretation is subjective . I suppose Virtue Signaling and Telling it like it is can be in the eye of the beholder .

( Unless I blinked while major poo flinging took place , and subsequently cleaned up by a Moderator ) I didn't see any bullying , only marginal to rise to spirited discussion .

Here , or in person , I don't tell anyone to do anything illegal , and go to seemingly convoluted lengths to explore any possible Legal path , even if idiotic and confusing .

Simplified Bottom Line :

If you aren't already Grandfathered , the only legal way for you as a Maryland Resident to get a ( skinny bbl profile AR- Rifle ) is by inheritance .

Options : Move to Free America . Convince your self that a 16 inch fluted HBAR isn't that bad , and the offhand shooting qualities of them don't suck compared to a 20 inch Government profile . ( True statement , I have both .)

For visual throwback , an A-1 stock , A-1 Upper reciever , and a HBAR profile bbl hiding under Triangle handguards would 90% visually pass at 10 feet distance ( but be very muzzle heavy ) .

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Congratulations on your nuptials . Live long , prosper , and be fruitful .

That said -

You kind of set the tone by wanting to find a work around for a "naughty" bbl profile .

Interpretation is subjective . I suppose Virtue Signaling and Telling it like it is can be in the eye of the beholder .

( Unless I blinked while major poo flinging took place , and subsequently cleaned up by a Moderator ) I didn't see any bullying , only marginal to rise to spirited discussion .

Here , or in person , I don't tell anyone to do anything illegal , and go to seemingly convoluted lengths to explore any possible Legal path , even if idiotic and confusing .

Thank you, but I'm not a fan of the moral equivalence that you're demonstrating right now. Nobody ever responded to (or even seemed to notice) my question about whether "CA-compliant"-style ARs are GTG in this state, so I'm pretty sure that's not what triggered some of the people in this thread. Don’t blame me for the flaming that happened. I also don't think that I'd call telling somebody that they have extreme BGOs and need to be held by a man in a gimp suit (all for not wanting to do something illegal) to be "marginal" to "spirited discussion."

I do think that you and I share the desire to explore legal paths - that's what I'm doing in these threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom