• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Title says it all. Will a 1975 Colt SP1 AR be exempt from the HBAR reg, once it hits 50 years old and becomes a C&R?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Has anyone ever been prosecuted for having a non-HBAR rifle? Does anyone in law enforcement care, or even know what they're looking at?

shiza

Oct 16, 2020
    Carroll County
    Has anyone ever been prosecuted for having a non-HBAR rifle? Does anyone in law enforcement care, or even know what they're looking at?
    I'd assume it's one of those things that no one would ever notice or care until the rifle is used in an unlawful way. Then it's just another charge they can slap you with.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Don't know the answer to the first question. I would say "no" to both parts of second question. Please, don't get me started about lawyers and stupid Md. Laws though ;)

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I'd assume it's one of those things that no one would ever notice or care until the rifle is used in an unlawful way. Then it's just another charge they can slap you with.
    Absolutely, but think of how many times you have seen a crime in Md. committed with an illegal AR, then think about how much it impedes honest law abiding people from owning one. (True intent)

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Even if the use may not be unlawful, they can try to get you on a possession technicality.
    Unless it was owned prior to 2013.

Could it be sold as separate parts? Meaning transfer the lower and sell the upper in a different transaction?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Title says it all. Will a 1975 Colt SP1 AR be exempt from the HBAR reg, once it hits 50 years old and becomes a C&R?
    There is no exemption for long guns that are C&R, from Maryland State Statute. We tried, it got added, it got removed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Unless it was owned prior to 2013.
    If it is owned prior to Oct 1, 2013, then it is grandfathered, but cannot be transferred in state with the exception of inheritance on your death.

Could it be sold as separate parts? Meaning transfer the lower and sell the upper in a different transaction?
    Yes, it can be sold as separate parts, but all current laws would apply with regards to what upper could be attached to the lower, so HBAR only for the upper for any 5.56/.223, any other caliber, it doesn't matter.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think if you transfer a pre-2013 lower it's no longer considered pre-2013. The transfer had to occur before Oct. 2013
    A pre Oct 1, 2013 lower can be transferred at any time, the issue is, all current laws now apply.

What does that mean?
    For a 5.56/.223 upper, it can only be HBAR/Heavy barrel, for any other caliber, it doesn't matter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well there is that .

But what with original SP-1 going for Collector Prices , I had gone into auto pilot thinking a PA or VA gun show, or a larger forum with nationwide membership to reach the targeted potential buyers .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Well there is that .

But what with original SP-1 going for Collector Prices , I had gone into auto pilot thinking a PA or VA gun show, or a larger forum with nationwide membership to reach the targeted potential buyers .
    Yep, the parts will never equal the whole.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    What are they going for? It’s a shooter but I great condition. I believe I have the original manual and box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom