• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Hats off to the individual(s) responsible for this comprehensive history of the Colt Python:

http://www.coltfever.com/Python.html

A fascinating read without getting tedious, if you are interested in history I highly recommend it. I learned a lot that I didn't know about how Colt produced firearms.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    It seems I am in the same category as many of you in this thread. When I was just out of high school my friend had a Colt Python that I thought was just awesome. I knew that I would get one someday. But I was in the military and never got around to it. Now, I want one and they are no longer made.

So, I was wondering: somebody must make a .357 revolver that is of the same quality. I think I will buy one soon, but who makes a gun of that quality? I found an article that recommended the Dan Wesson 715. Are there other contenders?

Thanks,
    Andy

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    It seems I am in the same category as many of you in this thread. When I was just out of high school my friend had a Colt Python that I thought was just awesome. I knew that I would get one someday. But I was in the military and never got around to it. Now, I want one and they are no longer made.

So, I was wondering: somebody must make a .357 revolver that is of the same quality. I think I will buy one soon, but who makes a gun of that quality? I found an article that recommended the Dan Wesson 715. Are there other contenders?

Thanks,
    Andy

Korth Mongoose?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I saw a really nice Python at United Gun recently in the neighborhood of $3500. If I were spending 4Gs on a revolver I'd just get a Python.

I just got a SW performance center. It wasn't $3500, but it's honestly hard for me to belive that the Korth is 4x better then the SW performance center line.

But.. I also think rails on a revolver are an abomination. So maybe it's me.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've heard good things about the French Manurhin revolvers, but I've never seen or handled one in person. For a while they were coming into the country under $500, but then they just took off. Still not as spendy as the Colt, of course.

The Smith model 27 is a favorite of mine. Especially the 3.5" barrel model.

I think the Python is an extremely attractive firearm; yet when S&W came out with their full-underlug guns, I thought they were ugly, ungainly, clumsy-looking pistols. Somehow Colt just nailed it. Maybe the vent rib was the determining factor for me. (I'm speaking solely about appearance here). For all that, I still can't justify dropping 3K on one.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    "$3,500" for a Python hatefully reminds me I should have bought that Python at Free State several years ago...

You'll encounter nice specimens available for considerably less than that. I'd only pay $3500 for a Python if it had an original box in good condition, paperwork, original factory walnut grips and looked unfired/100% flawless condition.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    You'll encounter nice specimens available for considerably less than that. I'd only pay $3500 for a Python if it had an original box in good condition, paperwork, original factory walnut grips and looked unfired/100% flawless condition.

This is what I was thinking. Haven’t been watching the market for a few years but what people are asking and what they are getting are two different things (no surprise to anyone I’m sure). If 95%+ condition Pythons that are not the exceptionally rare ones are going for $3500 I may have two on the market soon.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've heard good things about the French Manurhin revolvers, but I've never seen or handled one in person. For a while they were coming into the country under $500, but then they just took off. Still not as spendy as the Colt, of course.

The Smith model 27 is a favorite of mine. Especially the 3.5" barrel model.

I think the Python is an extremely attractive firearm; yet when S&W came out with their full-underlug guns, I thought they were ugly, ungainly, clumsy-looking pistols. Somehow Colt just nailed it. Maybe the vent rib was the determining factor for me. (I'm speaking solely about appearance here). For all that, I still can't justify dropping 3K on one.

I have similar tastes. I find the Python appealing at an aesthetic level, but didn't shoot it as well as my other revolvers, so sold mine after two years (pictured below).

I think the pre-27s and current Model 27s with the shorter barrels (the old "FBI carry") are great looking revolvers. Despite the larger frame and my medium glove-sized hands, it is easy to shoot well for me

I put a picture of my Manurhin MR-73 below. Supposedly one of the strongest revolvers ever made with ordnance-certified, alloyed steel (which allows the gun to stay relatively compact and not especially heavy) as well as one of the most accurate. I haven't spent time figuring out the trigger on this gun, but the revolver is such an oddity that I think that I'll never let it go.

19fcbc89fcd7e272273e189836b4eb3b.jpg

166cf4cb7f2af4a836c0a3e19a642d29.jpg

e52c114a80e2ce080e179784e43b7e13.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have similar tastes. I find the Python appealing at an aesthetic level, but didn't shoot it as well as my other revolvers, so sold mine after two years (pictured below).

I think the pre-27s and current Model 27s with the shorter barrels (the old "FBI carry") are great looking revolvers. Despite the larger frame and my medium glove-sized hands, it is easy to shoot well for me

I put a picture of my Manurhin MR-73 below. Supposedly one of the strongest revolvers ever made with ordnance-certified, alloyed steel (which allows the gun to stay relatively compact and not especially heavy) as well as one of the most accurate. I haven't spent time figuring out the trigger on this gun, but the revolver is such an oddity that I think that I'll never let it go.

19fcbc89fcd7e272273e189836b4eb3b.jpg

166cf4cb7f2af4a836c0a3e19a642d29.jpg

e52c114a80e2ce080e179784e43b7e13.jpg

You're now my official Wheelgun Hero!

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Old pic, but I love my Colt Revolvers. Only one I no longer have is the 44-40 at top center.

Attachments

• Picture 116-1[1].jpg
      Picture 116-1[1].jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 686

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There is a new Python scheduled to be released in 2020...it's been seen in the Colt factory. But no word whether it will be the same as the original or simply a variation of the new Cobra/King Cobra frame. Considering all the handwork that went into the original Python, the tapered barrel and tighter barrel twist, I seriously doubt it will be like the old Python other than name and general configuration. To make a Python the old way is simply too expensive and probably not too many really talented assemblers and finishers exist who could do it justice.

My bet is that it will be a nice revolver but a Python in name only.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you want the finest quality .357 magnum revolver currently mfg, that's obvious - Freedom Arms Premiere Grade !

You didn't specify double action .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom