• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrepairman

Mar 21, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I have a Colt Python that needs some work. The cylinder jams every once in a while and I was never quite satisfied with the trigger movement. Yes I know that Pythons are known for having smooth and light triggers, but mine was never quite as smooth and light as I thought it should be. I think the lockwork needs to be retimed. The double trigger pull "stacks" a bit.
    I have lived with this trigger for over 25 years and I love the accuracy of this gun, but know it is time.
    Should I send it out to Colt (though I hear the Cold shop is not what it used to be), ship it to some "name" or well known gunsmith (like Frank Glenn at Glenn Custom) or is their someone local (I live in Fredneck, but anywhere in a reasonable driving distance) that is experienced at working on Colt revolvers?
    I really don't like the idea of shipping my gun somewhere and being without it for months.
    Any recommendations at all would be welcome.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    AFAIK Colt shop still have some old hands who know their way around a Python.

But if you find another good Python shop, I would be interested, as I have one I would like the trigger done on. My other one is Colt Custom Shop tuned and is AMAZING.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Colt Custom Shop does all the repairs on those and they are extremely good. But there is a long line and you will have to wait several months to get the gun back. For local smiths I would just make sure they know how to work on the Colt actions, many gunsmiths don't work on them any more.

esrepairman

Mar 21, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Thanks, looks like they do a Python custom tune for $220
    file:///Users/jayfoster/Downloads/2014%20Custom%20MSRP%20PL.pdf

Now the big question is who is best for shipping - UPS or FEDEX, and how much should I insure my gun for?

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I've been looking into this as well...got one name from here but guy would not reply to my e-mails. There's a fellow in Urbana that I've seen at gun shows, goes by Trigger-Doc I think, and he said he could work on mine since he spent most of his years on revolvers, including the Python. I've not had the chance to look into it any further. Same problem on the one I have BTW, timing is FUBARed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Now the big question is who is best for shipping - UPS or FEDEX, and how much should I insure my gun for?

Either one. You will probably have to go to a depot, so pick the one with the closer depot. In Baltimore area, UPS is in Sparks. FedEx is Rosedale.

As to how much to insure for, how much to replace it? I would be looking at least $2500 and maybe more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom