• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Anyone have one of the recent Colt Mustangs? I just picked one up and having a problem removing the barrel. It hits the extractor before there is enough room to pull it out. I even tried removing the extractor, but still not enough room. I have no idea how the heck they got that thing in there in the first place.

I have searched the Google, and there were a few complaints about this, but no resolution.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Yes, I'm aware how it's SUPPOSED to work. Point is, it's not coming out as it should, even with extractor removed (and yes, I am savvy enough to remove the extractor, so I should be able to get the damn barrel out of the gun :)).

Wasn't insinuating you didn't know what you were doing....thought you could, like me, take a look at it from perhaps another angle and figure out what the problem might be.

Sometimes it works....sometimes it doesn't. Was just trying to help.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Wasn't insinuating you didn't know what you were doing....thought you could, like me, take a look at it from perhaps another angle and figure out what the problem might be.

Sometimes it works....sometimes it doesn't. Was just trying to help.

Sorry, I was just being sarcastic....that's why I put the little smiling guy at the end. :D

My P238 barrel comes out fine, so I am a bit baffled that the colt is not. I will try the toothbrush thing. Also, maybe after a trip to the range it will loosen up.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I was just being sarcastic....that's why I put the little smiling guy at the end. :D

No harm, no foul. I'm a little grouchy today. 2nd aggravating day in a row.

Watching that video, I noticed the lack of a barrel bushing. I was under the impression the Mustang was basically a mini- 1911.....No barrel bushing?

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    No harm, no foul. I'm a little grouchy today. 2nd aggravating day in a row.

Watching that video, I noticed the lack of a barrel bushing. I was under the impression the Mustang was basically a mini- 1911.....No barrel bushing?

Looks like a mini 1911, but no barrel bushing, no grip safety, and it doesn't have that mechanism between the safety and the slide release.

I'm really baffled because I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. They got the thing in there somehow, so it's gotta come out. I was hoping that removing the extractor would do the trick, but it needs about another mm to clear. I could probably force it, but I don't want to scratch the barrel.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Looks like a mini 1911, but no barrel bushing, no grip safety, and it doesn't have that mechanism between the safety and the slide release.

I'm really baffled because I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. They got the thing in there somehow, so it's gotta come out. I was hoping that removing the extractor would do the trick, but it needs about another mm to clear. I could probably force it, but I don't want to scratch the barrel.

I'm with you. I have a Colt 1911 that's far from a safe queen, but I don't like roughing it up more than I absolutely have to.

Any chance you can take some pics.?

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    I have the Colt 1991 and the Mustang. They look almost identical. I will get some photos posted tonight.

I was looking closely at my Mustang and P238. The Sig has a bit of space in the frame around the barrel tip, so the barrel can move around a bit, which makes it's removal easy. On the colt, the frame is tight around the barrel tip. It has no wiggle room, which seems to be why I can't get it out. I'm going to call colt and see what they say.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have the Colt 1991 and the Mustang. They look almost identical. I will get some photos posted tonight.

I was looking closely at my Mustang and P238. The Sig has a bit of space in the frame around the barrel tip, so the barrel can move around a bit, which makes it's removal easy. On the colt, the frame is tight around the barrel tip. It has no wiggle room, which seems to be why I can't get it out. I'm going to call colt and see what they say.

I did some Googling last night...figured I would see what I could find. If you already read this, disregard....Is there some way you could emulate the action of the pistol.....angle the barrel like it is "dropping from the barrel lugs and scooping up a round from the magazine".....and then try pulling the barrel out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom