• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    Today I learned why "modern" 1911s have redesigned hammers. I went and shot the Colt that my father had in WWII, for the 1st and likely last time (it is a 100 year old gun.)

I didn't feel this as it was happening, but noticed it when I went to reload. I decided 14 rounds was enough.

(photo about 6 hours later, it looked much worse at the time.)

20240122_180004.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I thought the A1's somewhat improved this. My non-A1 gets me a little, but it usually feels more like an irritation than a bite for me. I don't normally like shooting in gloves, but it can help.

My Hipower bites...hard :eek:

Sometimes, maybe it's ok not to take such a nice high grip :o

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Yes they will take a nip! Makes you wonder how it got through thousands of rounds of testing and they didn't remedy that.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It's not the hammer, it's the Standard USGI Safety and Hammer

Get yourself a Beaver Tail Safety and Cmdr Hammer will solve your biting issue

If you don't want a BT then the Commander Style hammer will also work alone

Easier if both can be added at the small time.

Minor fitting required but most modern CNC parts are almost drop-in.

maxresdefault-2858582105.jpg

If you want a GI Issue look then you need maintain a proper grip and toughen up, buttercup for the occasional hammer bite if your over rotate your grip. A USGI 1911 is not user friendly if you're cursed with sausage fingers and pudgy hands

Last edited:

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    i shoot the piss out of my tisas 1911a1 that has the exact same hammer.

800 rounds deep and still love shooting it. I just grip a tiny bit lower and hold it tighter is all.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Today I learned why "modern" 1911s have redesigned hammers. I went and shot the Colt that my father had in WWII, for the 1st and likely last time (it is a 100 year old gun.)

I didn't feel this as it was happening, but noticed it when I went to reload. I decided 14 rounds was enough.

It's like the M-1 Thumb. Millions of soldiers fire both, without injury.

I qualified once upon a time with the 1911, never had hammer bite., fired thousands of .45 ACP before switching to the Burrito. (M-9)

1705986453850.jpeg

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    You should have seen my thumb when I had the brilliant idea of lowering the hammer on a live round with my thumb. Dropped it a bit too fast and it went off -- ouch! Rookie move.

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    Thanks for all the comments. The A1 does have a larger beavertail, similar to modern 1911s, hence why I wasn't expecting an issue. I do have very large hands (mostly long fingers) so I expect that is my underlying problem. I may well give it another try with a slightly lower grip, though that isn't optimal.

In the long term I expect to use this experience as an excuse to collect more 1911's until I find one that fits my hand better :)

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Since you're not using that 1911 anymore, I'll buy it off ya.

Also, the 1911a1 doesn't have a beaver tail. It has a grip safety.

Give the 100+ year old design a break. It was designed when men had man hands. Usually from working the earth to make food.

If you choose to keep it, the answer is shoot it enough so that you get a callous where the hammer gets you. By then you should be pretty good at it. You're welcome

Please, PLEASE do not chop up a classic USGI 1911.

Last edited:

fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    Since you're not using that 1911 anymore, I'll buy it off ya.
    :lol:
    Also, the 1911a1 doesn't have a beaver tail. It has a grip safety.
    Isn't the "beaver tail" just the elongated part of the grip safety? The grip safety was elongated as part of the A1 update, is it not proper to refere to it as a beaver tail?

In any case the hammer doesn't extend over the grip safety, like it does on the original M1911. I figured I'd be safe.
    Please, PLEASE do not chop up a classic USGI 1911.
    I have absolutly no intention of doing that! I do have an appreciation of what a USGI Colt 1911 made in early 1924 represents.
    (Barrel, grips, and a couple of other parts are not original, which is why I even considered shooting it.)

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland

View attachment 450775
    From the picture, it looks like your grip might be a little too high. If not, you should use a 1911 with a beavertail grip safety.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013

View attachment 450775
    I love those hammers on a 1911. They are getting hard to find.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Reminds me of the first time I shot a 1911 in competition. I usually would have used my Glock 9mm, but for some reason this match was 45 only. I borrowed my father in law’s 1927 Argentine Colt. Ran at least a hundred rounds over the course of fire. The web of my hand still has a scar. Bought my own “modern” 1911 with a proper beaver tail after that.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

Isn't the "beaver tail" just the elongated part of the grip safety? The grip safety was elongated as part of the A1 update, is it not proper to refere to it as a beaver tail?

In any case the hammer doesn't extend over the grip safety, like it does on the original M1911. I figured I'd be safe.

I have absolutly no intention of doing that! I do have an appreciation of what a USGI Colt 1911 made in early 1924 represents.
    (Barrel, grips, and a couple of other parts are not original, which is why I even considered shooting it.)

A beaver tail grip safety is a modern iteration to keep hammer and slide bite from happening. The flattened, extended portion of the tang of a pistol. (hence beaver tail). On USGI, series 70, the 1991, and original series 80s they just have a grip safety.

The term has become ubiquitous with the part that meets the shooters hand (the web between thumb and forefinger). But unless it is significantly flattened and extended from the original design, it is not a beavertail, it is either a grip safety or most correctly, the tang of a pistol, as the grip safety is a dynamic device, the tang is specifically the ergonomic point at which a shooters hand web meets the weapon

You have a USGI grip safety or tang. Both are correct. One is specific to the 1911, the other is for any pistol

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Actually no .

An A1 was an " extended tang " . Same shape , just longer .

Was it an improvement ? Sure , but not a total solution for everyone .

A * Beavertail * has a flared shape , similar to the actual tail of the 4 legged furbearer .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom