• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    So, I picked up a Colt Police Positive Special dated 1933 on consignment from United a year or so ago. She was in great condition and looking lonely next to the Nagant I picked up, and I didn't have a Colt yet, so I figured why not? She's a pleasure to shoot and I really got her at a steal, from what I'm seeing online since.

What baffles me, though, is the grips; the ones she came with are fairly worn, and I'm considering carrying her, so I figured I'd pull them to preserve them and add a Hogue or Pachmayr in the meantime—little did I know that apparently the Police Positive Special is a different beast than the usual D-Frames, and also that pre-1940 the rules for what fits what change. For instance, apparently the Police Positive Special has a wider square butt, compared to Police Positive models, and the hole pattern on the grips is different from other examples I've seen—needless to say, I'm feeling very out of my depth with this one, for some reason.

So, I ask all you great and powerful Colt gurus out there: Is there a substitute Hogue or Pachmayr that'll fit a 1933 Police Positive Special, or should I just go with a Vintage Gun Grips/TripleK reproduction and save myself a headache?

Attachments

• 20240306_230043.jpg
      20240306_230043.jpg
      286.4 KB · Views: 29
    • 20240306_230028.jpg
      20240306_230028.jpg
      289.1 KB · Views: 28
    • 20240306_230004.jpg
      20240306_230004.jpg
      317.7 KB · Views: 28

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I inherited my Father's Police Positive Special. he original grips were lost long ago when he had a friend make the ugliest and inconsistently made gribs I've ever seen. Tried several times to find grips to fit it and it's been difficult.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    N.C. Ordnance.

My Father's early PPS still have the originals , albeit with a crack on the butt .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The D-frame stocks changed during the 1950s and '60s...there's square butt...rounded butt and short butt. They standard in the mid-60s to the short butt frame. Yours is the square butt.

If you can find a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips they usually (but not always) are molded to fit both the square butt and short butt frames. You can find them with Colt medallions and Pachmayr medallions on ebay. Do not commit to buy any without being able to see the inside of them to make sure they're older for both frames.

You got yourself a nice revolver.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I inherited my Father's Police Positive Special. he original grips were lost long ago when he had a friend make the ugliest and inconsistently made gribs I've ever seen. Tried several times to find grips to fit it and it's been difficult.
    I'll let you know what I find!
    N.C. Ordnance.

My Father's early PPS still have the originals , albeit with a crack on the butt .
    Yeah, I'd looked at them, but if I'm gonna spring for replacements, I'd rather have something a little beefier than the standard small grips; they tend to disappear into my mitts. Lol
    The D-frame stocks changed during the 1950s and '60s...there's square butt...rounded butt and short butt. They standard in the mid-60s to the short butt frame. Yours is the square butt.

If you can find a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips they usually (but not always) are molded to fit both the square butt and short butt frames. You can find them with Colt medallions and Pachmayr medallions on ebay. Do not commit to buy any without being able to see the inside of them to make sure they're older for both frames.

You got yourself a nice revolver.
    Thanks! I'll see which ones work and let everyone know the model number. And yep, she's a beauty; I'm so glad she caught my eye when I was looking at that Nagant.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Quick update: Tried several Pachmayrs; not even close on any of them--thankfully, bought them through Amazon, so returns were easy.

Tried eBay out of desperation, and I struck gold: There's a seller out of Thailand that makes custom grips for the Police Positive, PP Special, and short grip D-frames!

Wasn't sure at first, but with all the positive reviews (no pun intended) and limited stock, I figured what the heck. Waited ~2 weeks for shipping, and they showed up really carefully wrapped and in great condition. Damn close fit, will require a little bit of inletting/sanding work, and then they should work perfect! I'm so happy with these!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pre 1928 , the Square D Frames were actually Square . Circa 1928 , the previously Square became " sorta rounded off corners " .

In 1933 the shape viewed from 90 degree angle stayed the same , but the grip frame Thickness ( side to side width ) changed . I'm having a brain fart if it was thicker or thinner , but the difference is on the order of 1/ 16 inch .

If OP's Revolver is a 1933 , that was the time of transition , could be either depending on month , and factory using up components in inventory .

But Wait , There's More ! During the Pre War Era , Colt actually had Three butt shapes ( albeit only 2 on PP and PPS ) .

Colt also had a " Really Rounded " butt shape on some other D Frames . Most notably on the New Pocket and Pocket Positive .

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Sweet!!!!!!!

Thailand, huh? Dannnnng …..

ETA: when can we expect pics ….?
    Still slowly fitting them in between Helldives, and while I was doing that I discovered a lockup issue; the bolt isn't engaging in the cylinder notches properly—it's like it's waiting to try and lock up until right after the notch passes on two or three chambers. Gonna take it to Scott's sometime this week to take a look at it, so fitting's on hold until then.

Here's a pic of the grips I chose, though; I really love the angle they give it when they're on.

Attachments

• 20240408_022603.jpg
      20240408_022603.jpg
      318.6 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom