• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Alright, so, a CRX16.

http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/crz-16-gen2-and-crx-16-gen2/

The website says it is a 16" 1/8 twist. The one I'm staring at is being sold as a CRX16, its marked on the receiver as a CRX16, but the barrel is clearly marked "5.56 NATO 1/7 C". What gives?

Also...a noob question: How can I tell if this comp is welded on? I'd like to take it to someone and have this thing taken off in favor of another muzzle device.

Thanks.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Colt licenses their name to the company that makes them. It's not a real Colt rifle.

Are you sure thats true for this rifle? I know they used to, for some of the cheaper ones. This is the CRX-16 Gen 2 and it says Colt Mfg Co, LLC, Hartford Conn on the receiver.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    A quick google search says they're made in Texas by a company called Bold Ideas "under license" by Colt. So not a Colt really.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The barrels on those have been changed to 1/7 twist, the website needs updated. The receivers are Hartford made, thus the markings. The rifle is done by Bold Ideas. They also all ship with a 1MOA three shot test target. They are a licensed product, but they are also very nice rifles and dead nuts accurate.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the colt name. BTW I have seen these on sale on slick-guns at very attractive numbers for a 1 MOA rifle out of the box.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well shi*. I thought I was buying a colt. Should have just gone with a 6721. Well, for those who have experience with these rifles, let me ask:

Quality wise (barrel, bolt carrier group, feed ramps, trigger assemly) up to spec with Colt, BCM?

I don't know how I feel about the trigger. It's a nice trigger, but would a nickel boron spikes trigger be more reliable? I'm not overly worried about a range gun breaking but just in case I ever turn it into something I run hard, would I be better served throwing in a more standard trigger assembly?

Is this friggin muzzle brake welded on? I want to have it removed and put on something else.

Thanks guys.

:sad20:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Well shi*. I thought I was buying a colt. Should have just gone with a 6721. Well, for those who have experience with these rifles, let me ask:

Quality wise (barrel, bolt carrier group, feed ramps, trigger assemly) up to spec with Colt, BCM?

I don't know how I feel about the trigger. It's a nice trigger, but would a nickel boron spikes trigger be more reliable? I'm not overly worried about a range gun breaking but just in case I ever turn it into something I run hard, would I be better served throwing in a more standard trigger assembly?

Is this friggin muzzle brake welded on? I want to have it removed and put on something else.

Thanks guys.

Honestly, I think they try their best to deceive you into thinking that. They have the Colt logo as part of their logo. I saw them being blown out last year for $700 on CDNN. I was like I can a get a Colt with a rail and upgrade for way cheaper than a 6920? It seemed to good to be true, so researched and found out it's another licensed product. Colt has started putting their name on those crappy Umarex .22s, and Russian steel case ammo.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Honestly, I think they try their best to deceive you into thinking that. They have the Colt logo as part of their logo. I saw them being blown out last year for $700 on CDNN. I was like I can a get a Colt with a rail and upgrade for way cheaper than a 6920? It seemed to good to be true, so researched and found out it's another licensed product. Colt has started putting their name on those crappy Umarex .22s, and Russian steel case ammo.

You're not making me feel any better :lol2::lol2:

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    Came across this info on their website.

The muzzle brakes on all Colt Competition Rifles are threaded on the barrel and secured with shim washers and red thread sealant (“red Loctite”). The thread sealant will release when moderate heat from a high temp hair dryer is applied. Threads are RH, ½”-28 TPI. To remove the brake:

Clamp the barrel securely in a padded vice between the brake and the front of the handguard.
    Heat the threaded area around the rear of the Brake with the hair dryer just until it is hot to the touch.
    Slide a close-fitting bar about 6” to 8” long through the rear chamber.
    With most of the bar protruding from the RH side of the brake, strike downward on the RH end of the bar with a sharp blow from a brass or dead-blow hammer.
    That should release the brake.
    Without the barrel being securely clamped as described, damage can result to the gas tube, barrel nut, and upper receiver.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Came across this info on their website.

The muzzle brakes on all Colt Competition Rifles are threaded on the barrel and secured with shim washers and red thread sealant (“red Loctite”). The thread sealant will release when moderate heat from a high temp hair dryer is applied. Threads are RH, ½”-28 TPI. To remove the brake:

Clamp the barrel securely in a padded vice between the brake and the front of the handguard.
    Heat the threaded area around the rear of the Brake with the hair dryer just until it is hot to the touch.
    Slide a close-fitting bar about 6” to 8” long through the rear chamber.
    With most of the bar protruding from the RH side of the brake, strike downward on the RH end of the bar with a sharp blow from a brass or dead-blow hammer.
    That should release the brake.
    Without the barrel being securely clamped as described, damage can result to the gas tube, barrel nut, and upper receiver.

You're the man. My GoogleFu must be weak today. I don't have sufficient vice capabilities...I'll take it to a gunsmith when I get around to changing it out! Thanks

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    You're the man. My GoogleFu must be weak today. I don't have sufficient vice capabilities...I'll take it to a gunsmith when I get around to changing it out! Thanks

Whoops I didn't realize you bought it yet, I would have kept my comments to myself. I thought you were thinking about buying it.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Thanks guys.

Quality wise you should have an outstanding rifle. I am very familiar with these rifles and the people who make them. You really can't touch that level of quality with those features at that price point anywhere else.

All of their current triggers are either Colt Match or CMC on the more expensive guns. Up to you of course if you like something better but what you have should be great.

Muzzle brake should not be welded but just as a note I wouldn't force things too hard. I know they were welding some of the ones to be compliant with guns shipping to ban states where it matters, like NJ. I don't think they were welding ours but can't remember offhand.

I would also note they are a company out there that adjusts to help Marylanders and doesn't just say "oh a little ban state who cares", unlike some others. That's one reason why you see the HBAR status clearly delineated in their advertising specs. They also ship guns to MD with the ten rounders swapped in at no charge. As opposed to some others that just pull the mags or ship with thirties and let the dealer worry about it.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

Weird. MSRP on Colts website for the 6920 is 1050 and for the CRX-16 gen 2 its 1199. And the CRX-16 is about $200 more on gunbroker right now than the 6920s.

Whoops I didn't realize you bought it yet, I would have kept my comments to myself. I thought you were thinking about buying it.

Not at all man! I like feedback of any kind, and I appreciate it :thumbsup:

The lower is colt...and I don't know who the BCG is...but it looks okay. Gas key looks properly staked, etc.

Once I find a good scope/bipod setup I will go out and put a couple hundred rounds through it...and if it functions...I'll call it good enough. :party29:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Quality wise you should have an outstanding rifle. I am very familiar with these rifles and the people who make them. You really can't touch that level of quality with those features at that price point anywhere else.

All of their current triggers are either Colt Match or CMC on the more expensive guns. Up to you of course if you like something better but what you have should be great.

Muzzle brake should not be welded but just as a note I wouldn't force things too hard. I know they were welding some of the ones to be compliant with guns shipping to ban states where it matters, like NJ. I don't think they were welding ours but can't remember offhand.

I would also note they are a company out there that adjusts to help Marylanders and doesn't just say "oh a little ban state who cares", unlike some others. That's one reason why you see the HBAR status clearly delineated in their advertising specs. They also ship guns to MD with the ten rounders swapped in at no charge. As opposed to some others that just pull the mags or ship with thirties and let the dealer worry about it.

Thanks, I appreciate it sir :thumbsup::party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom