• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok - stupid question; is that an all-original commando or is that a full-auto lower that somebody built up into a commando looking rifle? I thought the original commandos has A1 uppers, that's an A2. Grip is also an A2. Stock is not shiny like the original aluminum. Lower is a full-fence. Maybe they did make these, IDK for sure. I would want to really research before I threw down $60K.
    Ok - found possible answer from -> https://vietnamwar.fandom.com/wiki/CAR-15#Colt_Model_653_M16A1_Carbine

Model 733 Commandos can have A1-style upper receivers, A1-style upper receivers with case deflectors, or A2-style upper receivers, and M16A1-profile 1:7 or M16A2-profile 1:7 barrels.

But honestly, what's to stop someone from taking a full auto A2 lower and building a commando-looking upper and calling it all-original? The seller doesn't even state which model Commando.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ok - stupid question; is that an all-original commando or is that a full-auto lower that somebody built up into a commando looking rifle? I thought the original commandos has A1 uppers, that's an A2. Grip is also an A2. Stock is not shiny like the original aluminum. Lower is a full-fence. Maybe they did make these, IDK for sure. I would want to really research before I threw down $60K.

****You won’t have to throw down $60k if @mpollan1 wins Powerball and buys @Ammo Jon that nice Colt Commando. You only have to make friends with @Ammo Jon and I bet he lets you shoot it some!

Let Jon figure out if this gun has an A1 or A2 upper, and why the grip is an A2 as well as if perhaps some Nu Finish might shine up the stock a bit like the original aluminum.

This is like having grand kids over to hang out at Bubbe and Zeyde’s house! A great time will be had by all but the kids go back home at the end of the weekend to their parents who are ultimately responsible for feeding them, clothing them, and teaching them the difference between good corned beef on rye with all the fixin’s vs the swill their daughter in law calls a sandwich she feeds to those undernourished and too skinny looking grand kids!

Save your $60k for something else you might like because it sounds like @Ammo Jon has this deal basically wrapped up! :thumbsup:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Shotgun News 1984:

Colt_M-16s.jpg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Nice. If only I had bought one back then. Course, that was a lot of money to me at the time. Well - what's pictured in the ad above does not match the one that's for sale - BUT - it does say "A2" in the ad title and the ad image might be an oversight. So yes, it could be all original I suppose. Unlike some other Colts, these Commandos are all over the place. Other than a serial number cross check, some of these might be difficult to verify. Now as far as building a clone goes - in that case who cares if it's off a bit.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Too rich for my blood. I'd rather have a Tommy or MP-40; but even those prices are nuts. If you had 60K free cash you could invest that in stocks that would appreciate. Or go down the slide of Hunter Biden.

But this did get me thinking of some kind of random, bizarre, lottery, NFA trust of six MDS members owning this thing who go at each other on MDS. I'll leave names out to avoid getting personal, but use your imagination. :D

Alas, I too thought this was about the revolver.:confused:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is it a Colt Commando? It appears to be. Is it a Colt XM-177 CAR-15? Nope.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    60 forum members willing to put up $1k? Only 1 entry per person to keep chances equal. I’ll even sit this one out, just put me in the trust ;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

It's purported to be original.

Here's the thing . Notwithstanding the the abovementioned GAU- 5 ( which have been periodically rebuilt so many times , few resemble their OEM configuration), the Commando was not a .Mil standard issue . Most of them were sold for the LE/ Commercial market .

It was a small enough volume seller , Colt didn't keep a pre- made supply on hand .

When they received an order from a Department/ LE Distributor, they made up that number to fill the order . * Using whatever combination of components on hand that day * . So it is frequent for factory guns to have combinations of parts and features not matching the official " Model Number " .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And that $725 in '84 = $2150 today .

Far cheaper than today's prices for Transferrable , but would have been serious coin to me back then .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom