• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    I don't know much about Colt 1911s. If I wanted a new Colt (actual Colt), which current exact model most closely matches what was issued to American armed forces in either world war?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    They also make and sell a series 70 version around the same cost which doesn't have the anachronistic firing pin safety.

AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    Ok, I'll take a look at those, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, when did Colt stop making the actual 1911? Is the 1991 the same basic gun with updated details, or is it (despite looking the same on the outside) a completely new gun underneath its 1911 looks?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Ok, I'll take a look at those, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, when did Colt stop making the actual 1911? Is the 1991 the same basic gun with updated details, or is it (despite looking the same on the outside) a completely new gun underneath its 1911 looks?

The US military only used the 1911 for a few years. They found some minor issues with the gun during WW I and then the 1911A1 was approved. That is the gun most people know of when they talk about a 1911.

AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    The US military only used the 1911 for a few years. They found some minor issues with the gun during WW I and then the 1911A1 was approved. That is the gun most people know of when they talk about a 1911.

Perhaps I should've asked when did Colt stop making the 1911 family of pistols, i.e., any pistol with "1911" in it's name? And, of more interest to me, what is the difference between the 1991 and the 1911? I ask because they look the same (to this admittedly untrained eye) on the outside, so I'm wondering if there are more substantial changes inside, or if not, why did they bother changing the model name?

Colt still makes a revolver called the Single Action Army. The modern SAA is not identical to the original, but it's pretty close. Colt still makes the SAA because lots of people apparently are willing to buy them. Well, the 1911 is a hugely popular pistol, and is now made in clone form by various other manufacturers. Now, lots of people are buying genuine Colt SAAs instead of clones, and given the continued huge popularity of the 1911 type, I wonder why Colt does not make a pistol that's actually called a 1911.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Perhaps I should've asked when did Colt stop making the 1911 family of pistols, i.e., any pistol with "1911" in it's name? And, of more interest to me, what is the difference between the 1991 and the 1911? I ask because they look the same (to this admittedly untrained eye) on the outside, so I'm wondering if there are more substantial changes inside, or if not, why did they bother changing the model name?

Colt still makes a revolver called the Single Action Army. The modern SAA is not identical to the original, but it's pretty close. Colt still makes the SAA because lots of people apparently are willing to buy them. Well, the 1911 is a hugely popular pistol, and is now made in clone form by various other manufacturers. Now, lots of people are buying genuine Colt SAAs instead of clones, and given the continued huge popularity of the 1911 type, I wonder why Colt does not make a pistol that's actually called a 1911.

The most substantial change added by the 1991 series of guns is the Series 80-style Firing Pin Safety which subtly changes the trigger feel. They make a Series 70 which lacks this "feature" and is more akin to the 1911s of yore.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What does the 80 series, 70 series, etc mean?

Some folks think Series 70 = no firing pin safety and Series 80= firing pin safety, it goes deeper than that.

The Series 70 guns came out after the beloved Government Model but before the Series 80 guns. The Series 70 guns used a collet bushing to try to help improve accuracy.

The Series 80 guns use a very specific firing pin safety. Some people equate any 1911 style firing pin safety as being "Series 80", that is not the case. There is the Swartz (sp?) system and the Series 80 firing pin system.

Some more reading is here :

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/s70_colts.htm

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Some folks think Series 70 = no firing pin safety and Series 80= firing pin safety, it goes deeper than that.

The Series 70 guns came out after the beloved Government Model but before the Series 80 guns. The Series 70 guns used a collet bushing to try to help improve accuracy.

The Series 80 guns use a very specific firing pin safety. Some people equate any 1911 style firing pin safety as being "Series 80", that is not the case. There is the Swartz (sp?) system and the Series 80 firing pin system.

Some more reading is here :

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/s70_colts.htm

Well, sure. I just wanted to distill it to their core differences. Also, a Collet Bushing isn't the hardest thing in the world to replace if you wanted to go to a more pre-70 style. Now, removing the series 80 bits from a 1911 is a bit more of an undertaking... :D

Also, I should add that the current manufacture Series 70 style guns have a standard bushing.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Sorry. Some folks just think Series 70 = no firing pin safety and ANY 1911/1911A1 pistol with no fps is a Series 70. What was annoying was when I hung around 1911forum people would ask things like "So, is the new SA 1911 a Series 70?". No you moron, not unless SA was licensing Colt designs.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Sorry. Some folks just think Series 70 = no firing pin safety and ANY 1911/1911A1 pistol with no fps is a Series 70. What was annoying was when I hung around 1911forum people would ask things like "So, is the new SA 1911 a Series 70?". No you moron, not unless SA was licensing Colt designs.

I hear you. We don't need them to get ideas and bring back collet bushings... :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom