• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BombDoc

Dec 14, 2008
    Havre de Grace/ Darlington
    I was at the range today and was firing reloads in my .45 ACP 1911 and the first round I got a pop and fizz then smoke from the area near my slide release lever. After about 15 min waiting I made a closer examination. I found that there is a round jammed in the barrel. What do I do? Should I try to remove it myself or take it to a gunsmith?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Can you lock the slide back? If you can try soaking the back end of the bullet in wd-40 or similar and try pushing it out with a cleaning rod.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you can disassemble the pistol, remove the barrel and try using a wooden dowel to pound it out. Carefully check the barrel for any sign of bulging when the bullet is free.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Did you remove the barrel bushing first?

That barrel should literally fall out of the slide.

Never mind.

Hodgdon has a great on-line data site.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    This is just my opinion and I am not a gunsmith, but unless you fired a second shot your barrel should be fine as the bullet did not even have enough energy to make it to the end on the barrel. I believe to get a bulges barrel happens when have a stuck bullet and fire a follow up shot, the blockage causes the over pressure that would damage the barrel.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    This is just my opinion and I am not a gunsmith, but unless you fired a second shot your barrel should be fine as the bullet did not even have enough energy to make it to the end on the barrel. I believe to get a bulges barrel happens when have a stuck bullet and fire a follow up shot, the blockage causes the over pressure that would damage the barrel.

That's what I was thinking. I don't think a single squib can do much damage without the follow up round.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Congrats on recognizing your first squib.

What did your she'll look like?
    I burnt powder?
    Were you loading powder into cases one at a time and inspecting the fill in each?
    What powder and load were you using

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    yep to 12, 13, 14 and 15. next, it is recommended you drive the bullet out in the direction it came, meaning from the chamber. keep yer powder dry!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I was at the range today and was firing reloads in my .45 ACP 1911 and the first round I got a pop and fizz then smoke from the area near my slide release lever. After about 15 min waiting I made a closer examination. I found that there is a round jammed in the barrel. What do I do? Should I try to remove it myself or take it to a gunsmith?

OP, if there is even a remote possibility that you had an uncharged case here? Then give some serious thought to whether or not it is even remotely possible that you have a double charge somewhere in that batch.

You positively don't want to go there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom