• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    That is scary that one guy gave his name and admitted illegal (underage) possesion of an allegedly registrable firearm? .:sad20: Not sure but seems like it was no big deal...

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Lol yeah I'm puzzled as to why somebody would give their name and admit to that. Hopefully they were smart enough to give a fake name.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Nah, we're in MD, that's not illegal.

It's only illegal for law-biding citizens.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    That is scary that one guy gave his name and admitted illegal (underage) possesion of an allegedly registrable firearm? .:sad20: Not sure but seems like it was no big deal...

Ignorance is his Civil Right. Of course MD encourages and protects criminals. It is us they seek to protect the criminals from.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Pretty sure saying you did something illegal on a youtube video does not count as a legal testimony. People admit to doing illegal things all the time on youtube.

I also like how the title of the article is "Weapons Ban Will Not Automatically Make Baltimore Safe" despite that the conversation was actually about how the ban will not work at all. Only that one guy said it will work and even he did not sound too confident about it.

I don't expect gun crimes to go down at all in Baltimore. We are surrounded by free states that make it easy to bring guns in here. Gun control only works in island states.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    The young lady got it right: banning pot hasn't stopped people from smoking weed, so banning guns will not end violence or people having guns illegally. The difference in liberal vs. conservative thinking is clear: 1) liberals have logical idealistic theoretical thoughts, 2) conservatives focus on measurable results and historical examples.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Gun control only works in island states.

O_RLY.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BeslldqQyG4#t=637s

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Ya rly.

When you look at statistics, places that have gun control and low gun crimes are almost exclusively islands, (Britain, Australia, Hawaii). Gun control is not feasible for essentially every other part of the world that has neighboring states. It is impossible to stop smuggling when there is a physical boarder and gun grabbers need to be told this.

It’s fun to be like “Oh rly, herp derp” but these statistics are much better at getting pro gun control people to change their mind as opposed to talking about constitutional rights. Tell them that the only way to stop the flow of illegal guns is to have boarder security that outdoes the Berlin Wall and then give them statistics showing it and they will be reluctant to bring up the “gun control works” issue again.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Ya rly.

When you look at statistics, places that have gun control and low gun crimes are almost exclusively islands, (Britain, Australia, Hawaii). Gun control is not feasible for essentially every other part of the world that has neighboring states. It is impossible to stop smuggling when there is a physical boarder and gun grabbers need to be told this.

It’s fun to be like “Oh rly, herp derp” but these statistics are much better at getting pro gun control people to change their mind as opposed to talking about constitutional rights. Tell them that the only way to stop the flow of illegal guns is to have boarder security that outdoes the Berlin Wall and then give them statistics showing it and they will be reluctant to bring up the “gun control works” issue again.

Why is gun crime so much worse than any other crime. I mean a family member beaten to death witha bat is still just as dead if shot with a bullet. Pulling the tree fromt he forest to prove a point has no statistical merit. Yes of course less guns mean less gun crime but it has been proven in your Island states that less gun crime means more overall crime, murder rates stay constant or increase, armed robberies go up, armed assaults go up. But since they are not committed with a gun it doesn't count.

Bagpiperer

Mar 23, 2013
    Tell them that the only way to stop the flow of illegal guns is to have boarder security that outdoes the Berlin Wall and then give them statistics showing it and they will be reluctant to bring up the “gun control works” issue again.

Not if their objective is to turn the U.S. into a Soviet-style police state...

:tinfoil:

kabk

Mar 2, 2013
    Ya rly.

I think L0gic wanted you to click the link he shared.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Ya rly.

Did you hear the testimony in Annapolis from the former LEO, DEA agent (I think) regarding how bad the gun violence is in the island protectorate of Puerto Rico? Very tight gun control laws / out of control gun violence.

The other assumption you're making is that the murder rate in those "island nations" decreased after passing strict gun control laws.

People always say "England has strict gun control laws, and their murder rate is so low." No one ever asks the followup question. What was the murder rate like before the passage of the laws?

The United Kingdom's murder rate is listed as 1.2 (per 100,000) for the most current year.

The thing to note is that England's murder rate has always been historically lower than the US.

England Homicide Rates
    1600-1650 6/100K
    1651-1700 4/100k
    1701-1750 2/100k
    1751-1800 1/100k
    1800-1824 2
    1825-49 1.7
    1850-74 1.6
    1875-99 1.3
    1900-24 .8
    1925-49 .8
    1950-74 .7
    1975-94 1.2

As comparison, the current US homicide rate is about 4.8/100,000. The last time it was that low seems to have been about 1962.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Why is gun crime so much worse than any other crime. I mean a family member beaten to death witha bat is still just as dead if shot with a bullet. Pulling the tree fromt he forest to prove a point has no statistical merit. Yes of course less guns mean less gun crime but it has been proven in your Island states that less gun crime means more overall crime, murder rates stay constant or increase, armed robberies go up, armed assaults go up. But since they are not committed with a gun it doesn't count.

Gun grabbers don't care about overall crime BUT… their island scenario has been getting a lot of air time as of late. Australia banned a lot of weapons and has had zero mass shootings since then. Those are some pretty hard numbers to fight against. They tried gun control in efforts to stop mass shootings and it worked. This is fuel for American gun grabbers to call for the ban and “buy back” of weapons in America in efforts to stop mass shootings.

We need to have pin point arguments if we want to debate this stuff. We need to show why it only works on islands, why it will not work in America, etc etc. L0gic’s link helped with that (Wish he would have told me the relevant point was 13 minutes in :-/) but I don’t think it goes far enough. South America sucks, everyone knows that. We need to figure out what to do about 1st world islands with “successful” gun control.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    The other assumption you're making is that the murder rate in those "island nations" decreased after passing strict gun control laws.

People always say "England has strict gun control laws, and their murder rate is so low." No one ever asks the followup question. What was the murder rate like before the passage of the laws?

The United Kingdom's murder rate is listed as 1.2 (per 100,000) for the most current year.

The thing to note is that England's murder rate has always been historically lower than the US.

England Homicide Rates
    1600-1650 6/100K
    1651-1700 4/100k
    1701-1750 2/100k
    1751-1800 1/100k
    1800-1824 2
    1825-49 1.7
    1850-74 1.6
    1875-99 1.3
    1900-24 .8
    1925-49 .8
    1950-74 .7
    1975-94 1.2

That's a really interesting angle; England's lower homicide rate could well be a cultural thing, not a gun thing.

Also, keep in mind that since the mid-'60s, the homicide stats reported by the MoJ have been for solved homicide cases, not actual homicides. If you look at coroner's reports of actual numbers of homicides, the numbers are considerably higher. Not quite as high as in the US, but certainly not as low as they would have the world believe.

(No, I don't have the link for this. I need to find it, it was a fascinating 'blog entry somewhere with links backing up the author's claims.)

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Pretty sure saying you did something illegal on a youtube video does not count as a legal testimony. People admit to doing illegal things all the time on youtube.

I also like how the title of the article is "Weapons Ban Will Not Automatically Make Baltimore Safe" despite that the conversation was actually about how the ban will not work at all. Only that one guy said it will work and even he did not sound too confident about it.

I don't expect gun crimes to go down at all in Baltimore. We are surrounded by free states that make it easy to bring guns in here. Gun control only works in island states.

Gun control does not work in island states either. Gun control does not work anywhere.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013

This is a good point as well. I don’t hear the “It reduced violence” argument too much from gun grabbers anymore. What I want to get at is the mass shooting issue. I see this as the only real last argument that gun grabbers can make but it is also the issue that is most important to me because it is the one used against “assault weapons”.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    This is a good point as well. I don’t hear the “It reduced violence” argument too much from gun grabbers anymore. What I want to get at is the mass shooting issue. I see this as the only real last argument that gun grabbers can make but it is also the issue that is most important to me because it is the one used against “assault weapons”.

Yeah, the ironic thing is I saw a comment by a very liberal relative the other day (who was OUTRAGED about Congress not doing anything about gun control in the wake of Sandy Hook) make a comment that teaching school children to react differently to a mass shooter scenario was unnecessarily frightening the kids because the statistical chances of a mass school shooting are so astronomically low :sad20:

When I'm talking about the mass shooters, I usually ask folks to think about all the things that society has decided are worthy of protection and ask to list the ones protected by armed people, versus the ones that they try to determine ahead of time who might commit a crime and stop them early without actually protecting the target. The second list seems to only include school children.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Australia may have reduced mass shootings, but have they reduced violent crime?

Gun Controllers know they can't talk about violent crime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom