• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Do you have to be 21 to apply for the designated collector's status? I would like to be able to get as many regulated firearms as I can between my birthday in July and October 1st. The guys at A1 Uniform said I should be able to send in my forms now (I'm 20) so I can hit the ground running when I turn 21.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Trooper Thompson told me she saved my application until last because I have never purchased a regulated firearm in Md. She likes to do all the easy YES NO ones first and save the ones that need a background check for last. So, they actually received my first application....

HailSkins

Aug 13, 2009
    Hebron
    Mailed 4-5-13
    Received letter 5-10-13

Do I get anything besides the letter that says approved? Or do i just copy letter and give to ffl?

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    Trooper Thompson told me she saved my application until last because I have never purchased a regulated firearm in Md. She likes to do all the easy YES NO ones first and save the ones that need a background check for last. So, they actually received my first application....

:wtf: :sad20:

Jan 9, 2013
    Annapolis, Maryland
    I mailed in my stuff on Feb 19th. Still nothing back. My friend mailed his in a day later and has got his letter back about a month ago. I expect a longer wait, as it took 108 days to get the ok to pick up my Beretta (submitted the paperwork Jan 11 for that gun). Had to get the DOJ and US Marshals involved to get that done.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I've pasted the relevant parts of the statute below, for anyone interested in seeing it.

A couple of questions:

1. Has anyone ever had one of these denied based on the description "nature of collecting activities" section, or is "collecting guns" about all they're looking for there?

2. Once you have one of these approved, do you have to do a separate application for the multiple purchases each time you buy, or does the collector designation remove the 30-day wait thing completely?

Thanks.

1) No one has posted they were denied I am guessing as long as you put something that isn't illegal you will be fine.

2) Removes the 30-day completely. If you buy more then 1 regulated purchase at the same time there is a diff form for the 2nd firearm. It is the same form FFL use when you buy 2 and have to wait 60 days without DC status. However you can do more then 2 guns and you could come back the next day and do another one. However it doesn't get you out of the 7 Day (Joke) wait on the app.

Thanks
    Robert

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Mailed 4-5-13
    Received letter 5-10-13

Do I get anything besides the letter that says approved? Or do i just copy letter and give to ffl?

Just put a check on the form. Don't even need the letter. The MSP confirms your collector station not the FFL.

Thanks
    Robert

Feb 28, 2013
    However you can do more then 2 guns and you could come back the next day and do another one. However it doesn't get you out of the 7 Day (Joke) wait on the app.

Thanks
    Robert

Only thing is, you're still subject to the 30 wait per gun on your pickups. Assuming you found a dealer willing to go along with that, when your paperwork came back he could only release one per month.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Mine took a week or so. Ok so that was 2003, so I guess it doesn't count now a days. i still have the original letter.

WESTMD

Member 2006
    Feb 19, 2006
    Far Far Away in W/MD
    I don't know if this is the right place for this observation, but with all the designated collectors waiting for approval and the backlog of regulated firearms approvals...does anyone wonder where the statistic of 90% of the public are for gun control in MD comes from? Maybe being in GC I don't get the how and why people give up their rights so easily? Everyone up here is upset at all of this but I did go to Annapolis to protest to no avail.
    BTW, I have been a designated collector for over 10 years but I have 6 firearms waiting for the 7 day approval for over 2+ months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom