• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I thought that Starbucks was a 2nd Amendment supporter. Thought I had seen people on here mention "Got gun and coffee". Thought I had seen bumper stickers somewhat to that effect too.

Is this statement by the Starbucks CEO out of left field, or is my memory finally fried?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I thought that Starbucks was a 2nd Amendment supporter. Thought I had seen people on here mention "Got gun and coffee". Thought I had seen bumper stickers somewhat to that effect too.

Is this statement by the Starbucks CEO out of left field, or is my memory finally fried?

I think the people who tried to use Starbucks for their own agenda are the ones in left field.
    My guess is Starbucks supports all the amendments equally.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Starbucks just doesn't want to be the battlefield between OC zealots and the rest of the gun community. They haven't banned anything. YET. If you CC in a Starbucks, no one knows and they don't care. They don't want other customers scared away either. They are a business, not a soapbox. I'm sure the vocal OC wack jobs will ruin it and then Starbucks will simply ban guns.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemy.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Good points, especially on the OC/CCW divide. And he's right, ultimately we did bring this on ourselves. We need to remember something: where we choose to fight our battles is important. Starbucks is in the business of selling coffee, not being a political stage. They respect rights without being an advocate for them. We, as a gun community, took a business that respected our rights, pushed them too far, and this is what happened.

Starbucks is walking a serious political tightrope. They wanted to make the Moms Demand crowd, and the ones not liking the "Starbucks Appreciation Days", happy, while not pissing off the gun rights folks by outright banning guns in their stores. I see this statement as a request to "take your politics elsewhere". The big thing to keep in mind here is that they will still serve anyone who's carrying and won't ask them to leave. I see this as a hollow victory at best for Moms Demand, but I've stopped pointing it out to them because I don't want to disrupt the new status quo.

Regardless, I wasn't a serious Starbucks patron before (I'm not a coffee drinker), so they won't really notice me not going now.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

Those stickers were never made by Starbucks.

Starbucks BEGGED to remain neutral. They BEGGED to stay out of it.

The pro-2a crowd kept wanting to have "Starbucks apperciation days" and flooding their stores with people carrying guns and then try to turn it into national PR.

The pro-2a community forced their hand, when they should have left well enough alone.

coupecrazy

Mar 29, 2013
    Somewhere, Merryland
    This decision by Starbucks was a sad one to see. They repeated time and again the wish to stay out of the debate. They sell coffee, that's all. They aren't a stage, or a political ally. This is a loss for them due to the lost business from angry People of the Gun. A loss that unfortunately we pushed on them.

Additionally the MDA claiming a 'win' in this is equally upsetting. Again Bux begged to remain neutral. Stop celebrating this as a victory for your cause. It's a loss to them.

I worked for Bux for a while as a barista while getting my education in order to get a better job. They provided health insurance to me as a part timer. I started a 401k with them, and had PTO. They're really a pretty great company. I enjoyed my time there slinging coffee. Howie has a good head on his shoulders, and merely wants to keep his business in the business of making coffee. That is not too much to ask.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Love this guy. Great, great points.

If any of you aren't subscribed to Colion's YouTube by now, you really should. He releases about 2 vids per week, and many if them are actually in shooting and his range time.

On another note, he also recently passed the Bar (Texas IIRC) and is planning on working on 2A causes.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I can’t really blame them for doing this. They gave OC people an inch and they took a mile. To a large portion of the population, the mere existence of guns is scary. If they see someone that is not a police officer with one on their hip they assume that they are going to die, which is quite an unpleasant feeling. I can only assume that this is not good for their business so they are asking people to stop doing it.

Well, if they are asking people to stop doing it, it would be in their best interest to stop. Right now, they just don’t want mass demonstrations at their stores. If people keep pushing, they could do an outright ban which wouldn’t help any of us out. They are a business and their first priority is to make money. Can’t blame them for that or for asking people to stop doing something that is scaring their customers away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom