• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    I have been waiting for these to come back into stock. Midway has the CPM-3V version in stock for $109.99 and free shipping. This is $40-$50 cheaper than other distributors and a great price for such a durable steel with decent edge retention. I'm not aware of any other fixed blade knives in 3v with great reviews selling in this price range.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    I purchased both the SRK and Master Hunter in San Mai last year after hearing that Cold Steel had been purchased. Both the 3v and VG10 seem like good steels in this price range.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I personally like the stainless super steels for shorter, less heavy-duty blades but if you are considering the SRK, perhaps consider also this version in the VG-10 San Mai=> https://www.opticsplanet.com/cold-steel-srk-in-san-mai-10-3-4in-folding-knife.html

I purchased both the SRK and Master Hunter in San Mai last year after hearing that Cold Steel had been purchased. Both the 3v and VG10 seem like good steels in this price range.

This a great breakdown of the various steels:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife-Steel-Guide--3368

The only category where VG-10 beats CPM-3V is corrosion resistance - so at the same price point I go CPM-3V all day long.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    This a great breakdown of the various steels:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife-Steel-Guide--3368

The only category where VG-10 beats CPM-3V is corrosion resistance - so at the same price point I go CPM-3V all day long.
    I would agree that ceteris paribus, CPM-3V is better than VG-10. What I appreciate in particular about the blade I suggested was its San Mai construction. It's easier to build a monosteel blade and through-temper it like one might with spring steel. It is more difficult to build a blade of different steels with softer ones at the sides & spine supporting a harder steel edge. Another way of achieving a similar end is by utilizing clay differential tempering. These additional steps to produce a harder cutting edge while retaining a softer and more shock-resistant blade body are more time, skill and cost-intensive than using one homogenous steel and then giving it a simple heat treat or normalizing cycle. Basically, the CPM-3V blade is more expensive raw material more easily manufactured but the VG-10 San Mai blade is less expensive materially but constructed more complexly to make up the performance gap.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I would agree that ceteris paribus, CPM-3V is better than VG-10. What I appreciate in particular about the blade I suggested was its San Mai construction. It's easier to build a monosteel blade and through-temper it like one might with spring steel. It is more difficult to build a blade of different steels with softer ones at the sides & spine supporting a harder steel edge. Another way of achieving a similar end is by utilizing clay differential tempering. These additional steps to produce a harder cutting edge while retaining a softer and more shock-resistant blade body are more time, skill and cost-intensive than using one homogenous steel and then giving it a simple heat treat or normalizing cycle. Basically, the CPM-3V blade is more expensive raw material more easily manufactured but the VG-10 San Mai blade is less expensive materially but constructed more complexly to make up the performance gap.

San Mai construction is an attempt at providing the best of both worlds with hard and soft metals. I agree it is much more difficult to work this way rather than working on all one steel. I also believe it results in much higher craftsmanship. I am not sure the results, other than being beautiful, achieve the desired outcome.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    For what it's worth, my EDC just so happens to be a titanium handled CPM-S90V 4" custom folder (a Brian Tighe Spyderco). The only problem I've found with so-called "Super Steels" is that every few years, they come out with another one that is hyped to practically make everything else obsolete...D2...W1...9260...L6...CPM-3V...elmax...etc. The smith who beats that steel(or the machine, if a smith is too expensive) and the quality of the heat treat have more to do ultimately with the specific blade's performance than the raw material from which it's made.

Attachments

• spydercoC198TIP.jpg
      spydercoC198TIP.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 84

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics