• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

So I was replying a post on another thread about defending against aggressive dogs, and although I currently use an OC spray solution and EDC folder for that scenario, it got me lookin for the (formerly) elusive Cane Sword.

Now I've seen quite a few at antique stores and auctions, but nothing I'd consider robust enough for actual use... So I Googled it, and whadaya know, Cold Steel has one out. Peep this:

I'm assuming walking around with this would be illegal, no? Might be nice to have by the front door, or maybe on a camping trip.

What do y'all think after seeing the video - a bit long I know... Funny note - ole boy gets a lil winded before goin full shogun on the pig target in the end.

Enjoy

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Seems sturdy enough I suppose, much better than most of them out there. And would do in pinch compared to the [somewhat ludicrous] prospect of using an EDC folder on a dog. In my younger and somewhat dumber days, I used to carry one of these: http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PC1014 and managed to fend off an assault by 3 two-legged predators (no bloodshed, just threat-of-force).

Far as legality goes, MD has no laws against buying and owning these. Carry is sort of gray area but leaning towards illegal. To explain: It is illegal to "wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person." A cane sword is not explicitly named as a weapon but would be easily lumped in since the definition is non-exclusive. While one could argue that it's not actually "concealed," and the law also does contain the "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" exception, there is no case law one way or the other and it's a risk I personally am not willing to take anymore.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I have purchased a "sword cane" recently, if only because I've always wanted one.

There is a dealer in the area who shows up to several local shows, and usually has a decent selection.

I wouldn't count on the steel being super high quality, but in a pinch it seems decent enough.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    It's legit product, and the scabbard is very solid.

My Dad has Arthritis. I bought him one for fathers day. I sharpened and polished it. He liked it a lot.

Umm, It is a concealed carry weapon, and he has a ccw permit.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Umm, It is a concealed carry weapon, and he has a ccw permit.

That would depend on the regs of the state permit he has. My Virginia permit specifies "concealed handgun". My Utah permit specifies "firearm". I believe MD's permit is specific to "handgun" as well. Mileage varies by state. Use caution in applying this assumption.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    OP, after seeing your post, I bought one of these from the factory: Cold Steel Arizona. It's really impressive! The blade is sharp enough to cut paper right out of the box. It's thicker, heavier and stronger than I expected, especially for the $119 price. The cane (sword with scabbard) works like a cane should, is a good length for me (I'm 6'), and it looks like a typical old man's walking cane. Very low visibility.

I'm not sure about how legal it would be out in public, but I'm thinking that for walking around the neighborhood nobody's going to give it a second look. But any bad guys thinking that they've found a helpless old fat man who can be easily robbed might just look at it differently when the scabbard comes off and the shiny part is exposed :innocent0

Thanks for the heads-up!

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    OP, after seeing your post, I bought one of these from the factory: Cold Steel Arizona. It's really impressive! The blade is sharp enough to cut paper right out of the box. It's thicker, heavier and stronger than I expected, especially for the $119 price. The cane (sword with scabbard) works like a cane should, is a good length for me (I'm 6'), and it looks like a typical old man's walking cane. Very low visibility.

I'm not sure about how legal it would be out in public, but I'm thinking that for walking around the neighborhood nobody's going to give it a second look. But any bad guys thinking that they've found a helpless old fat man who can be easily robbed might just look at it differently when the scabbard comes off and the shiny part is exposed :innocent0

Thanks for the heads-up!

Hey thank YOU for the real world review! One question - how is the grip on the handle? Looks like smooth polymer. Is it slippery at all? Thanks again - it's a lock on my Amazon wish list now!:thumbsup:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Hey thank YOU for the real world review! One question - how is the grip on the handle? Looks like smooth polymer. Is it slippery at all? Thanks again - it's a lock on my Amazon wish list now!:thumbsup:

You are correct... the grip is molded polymer, probably glass reinforced. It has a somewhat textured finish, and is not slippery to the touch. I imagine that even with sweaty hands it will still be reasonably easy to grip. And since it has an L shaped handle, there is a lot of area to hold on to.

I wouldn't want to get into a duel with this thing, as it isn't made for fencing (the balance is all weight forward). It's strictly a slash and stab device, and I'm hoping that it's biggest advantage would be the shock value when the shiny part makes its appearance in time of stress (think Crocodile Dundee in NYC when he uttered the words, 'That's not a knife, THAT's a knife').

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    You are correct... the grip is molded polymer, probably glass reinforced. It has a somewhat textured finish, and is not slippery to the touch. I imagine that even with sweaty hands it will still be reasonably easy to grip. And since it has an L shaped handle, there is a lot of area to hold on to.

I wouldn't want to get into a duel with this thing, as it isn't made for fencing (the balance is all weight forward). It's strictly a slash and stab device, and I'm hoping that it's biggest advantage would be the shock value when the shiny part makes its appearance in time of stress (think Crocodile Dundee in NYC when he uttered the words, 'That's not a knife, THAT's a knife').

Ha, yeah, the best deal is hopefully just havin to scare off an aggressor. Thanks again for the info!

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    GET A SJAMBOK. TWO OR FOUR LEGGED CRITTERS WILL THINK TWICE AFTER A SMACK.

Interesting - but couldn't be used as a cane. You'd effectively be walking around with a whip. :evilwhip:

Who else here finds that dude in Cold Steels vids - prolly the owner of the company - funny when he gets his chubby lil self into sweats for these demo vids:

Thanks for the heads up on the Sjambok - I'll check that out!

enjoi1968

Streets Closed Pizza Boy.
    May 10, 2013

Son of cold steel or a youth video of the owner... you decide.

Personally I like 'take 4' with the air sucking going on :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom