• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    It's been six or seven years since I bought a C&R rifle (I don't have a good excuse), but I decided recently that I wanted another CMP M1. I sent in an order form on July 31 anticipating that the process would take about a month. To my delight, this rifle was at my door ten days later.
    AIL4fc-hJ1gu02pFTEIINxRKr-VeJgKiEY7SpPiEk6P0FalnfgUTCie1RyvloIFU3qGlbf0IG3NZ_jUm1e9KPRfbZndZUtGXO6s9vNqnzssDxZeyRuIVLN6kuMr522wnWNHuCRrzfGtQ1ZJxlDinDgV8p_CU7w=w1142-h857-s-no

Based on the Rack Grade description I was expecting the worst, but I'm very happy with what I received. It's a Springfield receiver made in February/March 1945 with a 1954 IHC barrel. As described it is a total mix-master with parts from every M1 manufacturer as far as I can tell. There was surface rust on most of the metal parts, which I have mostly addressed with some oil and elbow grease. There are a couple areas of fairly heavy, parkerized-over pitting under the woodline. The bore (while showing heavy use) actually looks really good to me. It's shiny with good rifling that's visible at the muzzle. I don't have erosion gauges and the CMP didn't provide any readings, but based on my experience with other surplus rifles with worse bores, this M1 should shoot just fine.

The wood appears to be all USGI walnut. It shows a ton of wear with scrapes, chips, gouges, etc., but there are no cracks that I can see and the lock-up with the receiver is very tight. The only stock cartouche I could find was a circle P on the underside of the wrist. I'm pretty sure this was one of the batch of rifles the CMP received from the Philippines, and at some point over there they put a yellow, flaky varnish/shellac-like coating on the stock over the original oil finish. With a couple hours of careful work I was able to scrape all of that junk off with a putty knife. After that I applied a couple coats of boiled linseed oil and it's now back to it's US-issued look. See before-and-after below.
    AIL4fc-PwycWivpcYDQFyDngpB2V9iuUDPckkV2eOTbI_9Czo4Zkpm2BcGo4Xz9U6adt5beKtnhz3KSWN5LKoYwJgcvqXSZ30oMUsvzjwe7blwk3H0knzT8wwBxpDDthpMneHNSAw49Fh2KKHv4-dagy1eC43A=w1142-h857-s-no
    AIL4fc8i8RoJDg5VNzuQWNu2VT4LPZ4F4h0_0lHCsdIdqLTxDDJFMMHgQqqC-9P2wUlC06_LUKk3jkcEe9ARz9LP2QHCuJoYm3Bd3QU81ver15iH5SAHHYoXlhKgVXqUQmAv9O1WeYahNbwjhH7adJKVIws9xA=w1142-h857-s-no

AIL4fc8rm26GbK2bbpV381pW_OkmJMzYqE3CGjdSgO23JrLBEhdBt9n5LG8CsL6UYD-k4aBNPoxY7GiUAatbP2xXprpJJJPWwclgB23SKujCKxxc6-2H0K_9fdgq9RsMP0oSP5kkLXR8jyulDg9Y8OVPN5iAvw=w1142-h857-s-no
    AIL4fc-ON8F_mloKjdZRvvAd-XY7eOsu4NJJbcncOXGSLtVHQ6Z3AhOrDg_e0iKPMjxP6FpPUxckld2-wQKcix0_duaDVKMxjxchf3sdTbRG8liZrAAT4mf9IlGMI4TeZXYMr0ZVluiQdF2RTAn2KAM3iXOnDw=w1142-h857-s-no

I'm looking forward to shooting this one soon, and I'm definitely already very tempted to send in another order. Yeah, for the money you used to be able to get a lot more from the CMP, but it's still a very good value and I'm totally pleased with what I got. Here are a few more pictures.
    AIL4fc-zTnZMtueubIypZwzhCc8M4wsl56vnYdZu0v1DDECsEVETDcbWJBJ_brzE9uk2mcdbi5jp2lV0F31SKs1WPrxiePCEGcn_d4kcaM3K0dBMCqaQPB5I5Ir9EGCz5-59eBpTUvatdfKd2jQSKKiX1B48ug=w642-h857-s-no
    AIL4fc_qqZmwzMi7WLYF8qv60xZ7ljFcNkEf_MPz9u0tZzEGG2TS3JA2GDhKJRzKyhLypbbHOwYoh5vok0cynWWo8awNEh4Ziem1Z67MTfjL_WwJN-zQEqmxP29y4jTMJrjSogoBRaXqXKFYjvleH_INnzHsXQ=w642-h857-s-no
    AIL4fc8bppJBa3anbINt-O-j-d-pXczV3bNBSbeGKpeewN8lA8w-vOz-YiOtmsjVGe7dYCIu-MDN20d5wEwYXTEUTRpQwE0UCXYbyrFS7c7cijOWRryiO-lmJBaKNrdZZuX9Fo9Kj6IcvmKVyR4Nt5y6XP3Lzg=w642-h857-s-no

AIL4fc_of9U066VXNlkQ5YmV2RUMfA6dNNN9JsS1rDb1h7kB-n_Hptqe05frniuLsn3VA2BTyFIMSSPmXcSE7T7SRi0AA9nljRhOEuJgrl11nhgox_XkfXoRp5kjYg2g3FdwlbR0BX3fRHrM8mNcF6i9FhHQ_w=w1142-h857-s-no

Last edited:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    That's a fine looking rifle with lots of character and plenty of stories to tell. I own one and try to take it on every range trip. Best of all, my nephews love it as well, and its history.

Enjoy it!

Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013
    Very nice rifle with "character". Sometimes the dings and dents are more appealing.

Q
    Yup. That one mighta saw a little front line duty near the end of the war

Looks good @Dave91

Dont sweat the barrel none. Mine’s been rebarreled in .308 at some point which I actually like better. Been a while since I looked of course but last I heard cheapo 7.62 NATO was pretty easy to come by compared to 150 gr .30-06

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The M1 is an awesome rifle...the best and most satisfying rifle to shoot.

There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    That rifle has "been there and done that" character. I had a love/hate relationship with the M1 Garand when I was a junior ROTC cadet in high school. I drilled with it on Mondays, carried it in a parade on Wednesdays, and field stripped and cleaned it on Fridays. I now have one from the Civilian Marksmanship program and one I bought from a collector. Unlike the high school rifles, these have firing pins.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Yup. That one mighta saw a little front line duty near the end of the war

Looks good @Dave91

Dont sweat the barrel none. Mine’s been rebarreled in .308 at some point which I actually like better. Been a while since I looked of course but last I heard cheapo 7.62 NATO was pretty easy to come by compared to 150 gr .30-06
    If this rifle doesn't shoot well I am going to make it a .308 project.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You can get .308 Garands from the CMP
    RM1308EXPERTOnce they are sold out, we will not take backorders. This is first come first serve!
    (SERVICE W/ NEW BARREL & NEW STOCK)

EXPERT .308 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .308 Springfield. Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”.
    SPRINGFIELD (SA) or HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON (HRA)RECEIVER
    The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria, showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade. Cosmetic condition will be good to very good. Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts. May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts. (SEE RM1EXPERT DESCRIPTION ABOVE)
    Available
    $1150
    Free S/H

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom