• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    The calendar says it goes 9-4....and I just saw it. For Garands, Springfields, and military rifles

Does anyone know anything about this? I was about to head out there to shoot my mosin and my mauser, thought I may join in if it wasn't too late. Is this possible? How much ammo would I need to bring?

Too bad I didn't hear about this earlier...

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I've been dying to get out and shoot my first cmp match. Happened to be my first free weekend in two months.

Just have to make plans for the next one!

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Just got there.

Blown, apparently there was no CMP match today. The calendar was wrong.

I'll keep an eye out for the next one...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The match started at 09.00, and was over by about 11.30. They reserve the range until 4:00, but it's always over by about noon. Sorry you missed it: it's a very nice informal match.

In the past, they've wanted to keep it to two relays, so once we started having about 20 regulars, they stopped advertising it. But today, we only had 10 shooters. It's a shame. We could have had more.

It's not quite a CMP match. It's all slow fire, single loaded. Ten rounds each prone, sitting, and offhand. That encorages people to bring out some interesting rifles. For instance, last year I saw a Vetterli converted to center fire,and first place was won last October by a shooter with a Krag. Today there was a Swedish Mauser, a beautiful M39 Finnish Mosin, and a very interesting "Versailles Treaty" Gewehr 98 chambered in 8.15x46r, as well as the "usual suspect" 03-A3s and Garands. I've never seen anyone bring out a single shot rifle, but the slow fire course would be ideal for a Martini or a Trapdoor.

If you're looking for a CMP match, why not come out to Thurmont? This year, they're only having 4 matches instead of 8, so you should make an effort to get out to the next one in June.

http://www.tcandsc.org/tcscCMPMatches.htm

We usually shoot the short course of 30 rounds for score with 5 sighters. Occasionally the long 55 round course. The range is 100 yards with reduced targets, and we walk down to score the targets between stages. It's an official CMP match, so you need the liability waiver on file. You should be able to get it notarized at the match, but it wouldn't hurt to print out the form and get it notarized ahead of time.

There's a long thread describing the CMP matches held at the AGC last year. Those matches aren't being held this year, but the information in the thread is relevant to the Thurmont matches.

Monumental Rifle and Pistol CMP John C Garand/Springfield/Vintage Matches at AGC

And here's an old thread about the Maryland Rifle Club slow fire matches.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=52200

Today, there was no entry fee, no prizes, and the scores were not ranked and posted. It was just shot for fun. I'm hoping the scores will be posted later, because I'm curious to see how I did.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maybe proper advertising would help; just sayin'.

I agree. As I said in my last post, when it started getting a little crowded in previous years, they stopped advertising. Obviously it's time to spread the word a little more.

That said, these are Maryland Rifle Club's matches to run as they see fit. In the past, they've been kind of on-and-off. At least once I and several others showed up to find no one from MRC had bothered to come to run the match. Then they weren't held at all for awhile, until they were revived in the all-slowfire format.

... I was about to head out there to shoot my mosin and my mauser...

I encouraged people to come out to Thurmont in my last post, but I should say I am 99.99% sure they won't let you shoot a Mosin or Mauser in the CMP match. However, they do have Mosin Matches, where you can shoot both.

http://www.tcandsc.org/tcscMosinMatches.htm

In fact, they just had one today. I've never been to a Mosin Match, because the schedule always conflicts with something for me. Today it conflicted with the Vintage match. I just might finally get to the next one, though.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Why can't you shoot a mos in or Mauser?

I thought the rules allowed all military surplus rifles? Is this Thurmont specific?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There are differences among the various CMP Matches. It comes down to the decision of the Match Director I suppose, whether to run the match as a combined John C. Garand Match AND a Vintage Military Rifle Match. This one is a John C. Garand match,

Any .30 caliber "as issued" U.S. service rifle, M1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield, M-1 Garand, M1941 Johnson, M-1 Carbine.
    NO "NM" parts, glass bedding or similar modifications will be permitted.

I'm a little unclear myself on the subtle distinctions among the matches. If you check the thread I linked to about the Monumental CMP match, you'll see I was surprised to learn foreign rifles were allowed.

Individual Club Matches will have their quirks. Some have odd deviations from standard rules or procedures. That's just the way it is.

You could check out the Mosin Match I linked to.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yup, June 22. They're only having 4 this year. Hopefully we'll get back to 8 next year, if others will help run them. Kevin has been doing these for years. He runs the match, and never gets to shoot.

Try to get out there in June. I'd like to finally meet you.

I'll be the guy with the Garand.

And the dry, quirky sense of humor.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Id like to meet you as well. Can you enter multiple times? Could someone enter with an M1, 03A3 and an M1A?

Ill be the other guy with the garand ;-)

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    THe matches are listed on AGC and MRC website. I put today's match on my calendar months ago and was surprised I hadent seen any advertising. I emailed MRC this week and they got right back to me.
    The thurmont matches are listed on TCSC website.
    They start early at bith locations. I usually Get there by 8:30 to register.
    Both matches are a good time. Some people take it more seriously than others. Im out there to have fun and maybe one day beat Threeband.
    I highl recommend trying one out.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Id like to meet you as well. Can you enter multiple times? Could someone enter with an M1, 03A3 and an M1A?

Ill be the other guy with the garand ;-)

There is a guy at the thurmont matches that sometimes shoots two rounds with different rifles. Kind of depends on the number of shooters I think.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yes 8milimeter sometimes shoots two relays (and wins first place twice). I once shot Garand first relay and an M1 Carbine third relay.

I don't think you can shoot the M1A in a JCG match at Thurmont, but 03, 03-A3, 17 Enfield, Carbine, and Johnson are welcome.

Attachments

• 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 184
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar