• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    After waiting 3 months my CMP M1 Special finally arrived along with a few cases of Greek surplus M2 ball. The Springfield receiver serial is in the 5,9XX,XXX range.

Attachments

• DSC_04721.jpg
      DSC_04721.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 609
    • DSC_04731.jpg
      DSC_04731.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 537
    • DSC_04741.jpg
      DSC_04741.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 533
    • DSC_04711.jpg
      DSC_04711.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 587

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Nice pics!

Make sure to check the clearance in the channel in the stock and even more important in the horseshoe of the stock where the bolt recoils. The new CMP stocks are great but can be proud and if they take too much of a beating there you cam chip or crack it if you dont relieve it.

Happy shooting!

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I forgot this image.
    dsc_04762.jpg

Stu, do you have any documentation referencing the proper fit of the stock?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Let me look for it. Easiest way is shoot an enbloc open her up and look for contact points. They will be shiney. Hit those with some sand paper and go again.

There are some typical spots but I will dig something up for ya.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Almost all make contact in the channel here sand it down good to minimize contact. You still will likely have contact with the ferrule there are ways to deal with that as well. Also on either side of the channel the sharp edges should be beveled some so they allow the barrel to float in the channel without riding on the stock. Take a little off of them from a sharp 90 to a 45 deg angle towards the pen.
    20130205_211646_zps2a8684c5.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Op rod cut out. As thw op rod cycles it may or may not drag on the stock here. Easy to spot as it will polish the wood. Same as any other spot sand a little and work the action. I usually hand cycle it a number of times till the effects cannot be seen anynore then you have to live fire the rifle be sure since the op rod under load flexes some.
    20130205_211759_zps0b70a0f3.jpg
    [/IMG]
    Heel of the stock... I thought I had taken enough off and was timid as I did not want to take to much and make it visible with the receiver installed. Due to this my stock chipped and now even though most cannot see it I see it everytime I pick it up! When the bolt recoils it contacts the stock. It will leave an indentation, once you fire it and locate the spot carve it out some to prevent the stock from cracking. Just avoid going to far so that its visible with the recreiver installed. You will sew what I mean once you fire it.
    20130205_212022_zps18f081e2.jpg
    [/IMG]

All of these contact points will effect accuracy so best to deal with them now.

Also the trigger group will likely be very very tight that is a good thing. Do not sand thw trigger area or the receiver area these are important to the lock up and accuracy. Grease the lugs on the trigger guard when you are ready to reinstall it and give it a firm smack with the palm of your hand and you should be good to go. Mobil 1 grease works great and will last a life time.

If you need anything else just let me know.

Good shooting!

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    Congrats. I just received my service grade a few weeks ago. I have not had the chance to get it to the range yet but I also bought the Greek ball ammo. IMHO CMP is the way to go for a Garand. With the exception of having to de-cosmoline the rifle, it was in remarkably good condition.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    How badly ;) I have a few...lol

That's actually why I asked what you were looking for as I have been debating selling one though Id rather sell one of my A3s

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom